PDA

View Full Version : Ewok Holocaust...

El_Pasty_Muchacho
06-06-2002, 05:22 PM
Ever stop and think that the Ewoks would have all had to deal with the crisis of shrapnel and massively huge chunks o' death star that would have been falling to Endor for months and perhaps years after the battle was fought (chunks that would have been too large to burn completely up in the atmosphere). I think of it as kind of the Empire's last smack at the Rebellion; decimate the Ewok population with bits and pieces of our recently destroyed superlaser.

Comments?

Jonna
06-06-2002, 05:27 PM
Thanks! I was having a rough day, but that brought a smile to my face.

El Chuxter
06-06-2002, 05:50 PM
I've heard this theory before, and I maintain that the Jedi spirits protected the Sanctuary Moon and all it's furry inhabitants. :)

bigbarada
06-06-2002, 05:56 PM
That makes sense, El Chuxter. Besides Endor would only be threatened with the side of the Death Star that was facing it. The blast would have shot the rest straight out into space with more velocity than Endor's gravity could pull back. Thus most of that debris would be shot well out of Endor's orbit and continue on it's path since there is no friction in space and an object will keep moving at a constant speed until it hits something.

Another wierd question, what planet was Endor a moon of?

El_Pasty_Muchacho
06-06-2002, 06:02 PM
What?! I'm sorry, but where were the long dead Jedi at Alderaan, or Hoth, or when Thrawn showed up and nearly defeated the New Republic? No, if they couldn't stop the destruction of a peaceful people, or the destruction of a rebel base where all of our heroes happened to be stationed, or the New Republic with its fledgling Jedi Order, what makes you think they got misty eyed when the little fuzzies started croakin' because of falling chunks of twisted metal?

bigbarada
06-06-2002, 06:12 PM
Maybe they had a soft spot for Teddy Bears?:D

Supposedly only three Jedi are able to retain their identities after death, Yoda, Obi-Wan and Anakin. But that's an issue for an Ep3 discussion.

Beast
06-06-2002, 06:27 PM
You may find this intresting, since your intrested in the topic:

http://www.theforce.net/swtc/ds-ruction.html#dds2
http://www.theforce.net/swtc/holocaust.html

A small quote from one of the technical commentaries:

X-Wing: Wedge's Gamble
Sometime between two and three years after the Battle of Endor, Wedge Antilles and members of his famous starfighter squadron were on a scouting mission on the galactic capital world, Coruscant. They toured the Galactic Museum as part of their task of monitoring the planet's social conditions (in preparation for New Republic invasion).

Antilles found several stuffed ewok specimens on display with a note that the innocent creatures had been made extinct on their native world through the actions of rebels. Though unwelcome news to members of the squadron which detonated the battle station, this report appears to be objectively true. The museum display provides satisfying corroboration for the realistic fate of the ewoks, but of course it is not relied upon as primary evidence. (The primary facts are those events of Return of the Jedi which point to the disaster.)

Some readers have assumed that the ewok extinction reported by the prestigious Galactic Museum is nothing more than a lie serving Imperial propaganda. However it is important to realise that the most effective forms of propaganda do not falsify verifiable truths and circumstances; instead they weave a preconceived pattern of significance through cleverly judicious use of available objective facts. It is true that a few mistruths were told in Museum displays dealing with Emperor Palpatine's motivations at Endor, but those situations were no longer open to testing and disproof. Demonstrably false factual claims about ewok extinction would not serve the propaganda machine very well.

From the Imperial point of view, the holocaust at Endor was an act of reckless ecological vandalism by wild political fanatics. For the Rebel Alliance, the devastation was an unfortunate side-effect of the necessary destruction of a war-machine which was poised to deliver worse destruction throughout the civilised galaxy.

The pilots of Rogue Squadron, particularly those who were involved with the Battle of Endor, would probably not know about the subsequent fate of Endor's natives. The rebel leadership must be sufficiently ashamed of the biocide to hold a general cover-up, and they're probably tactful enough to deliberately avoid bringing the debacle to the Rogues' attention.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

RooJay
06-06-2002, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by bigbarada
Another wierd question, what planet was Endor a moon of?

The phrase used in the film "forest moon of Endor" doesn't refer to the name of the forrest moon, but the fact that the forest moon is a moon of Endor.:) It's the planet that is called Endor not actually the forest moon.

Jason B
06-06-2002, 08:27 PM
nope, it's a forest moon of Endor. :p
does anyone else think that this thread is hilariously funny? i do. :D

LTBasker
06-06-2002, 09:18 PM
Wouldn't debris flying at high velocity from an explosion like the one from the Death Star "bounce" off the atmosphere of the moon?

Never trust the EU, Ewoks are cool! :cool:

Jason B
06-06-2002, 09:33 PM
nope, what do you think meteors are? :)

bigbarada
06-06-2002, 11:07 PM
Of course, some debris would make it through, but not enough to wipe out the entire moon's population. And it's not like the debris would just be hanging out up there waiting for it's chance to strike. The pieces were sent away at high velocity by the Death Star's blast and the only thing the residents of Endor would have to worry about would be the initial shock wave and a short period of time when the debris aimed directly at the planet would impact. Any debris aimed beyond a certain angle would ricochet off into space. Any debris aimed away from Endor is on the express train out of the solar system. Thus if you were to calculate the blast radius of the Death Star like a pie chart, the "slice" of debris that actually impacts Endor would be relatively tiny.

That EU snippet is like the "resurrection" of Boba Fett. Just some fanboy's pipe dream.

Beast
06-06-2002, 11:13 PM
I agree BigB, but never let it be said that I wont supply the information that exists in the EU for others to read and accept or throw away. I discount the EU in this case, for the exact reasons you stated. Not to mention, the EU itself can't decide whether all life on Endor died out, or whether it still exists. Both have been stated in EU in the past. In George's universe, I assume the Ewoks still live and reside in harmony on Endor. And they have cool new pots and pans, thanks to those poor Imperials. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

bigbarada
06-06-2002, 11:46 PM
Here is a very crude mock-up of what I was describing. As you can see the debris that actually hits the moon's surface (the pink section) is relatively small compared to the entire blast radius of the Death Star.

SQueek
06-07-2002, 12:15 AM
bigbarada you really should get a job or something...

RooJay
06-07-2002, 01:52 AM
Wow! All this talk of debris from the Deat Star striking Endor has made me think about what kind of effect the Death Star just being in orbit around the moon would have on it. You'd have to think something that size with that much mass must've had some kind of effect on the moon's tides and weather! Poor little Ewoks! I bet they were really happy when the rebels got rid of it and things got back to normal on their world!;)

bigbarada
06-07-2002, 08:55 AM
Originally posted by SQueek
bigbarada you really should get a job or something...

I know!:p

Wookiee
06-07-2002, 09:13 AM
Here's one guy's very detailed explanation of this theory from the Star Wars Technical Commentaries (cool web page)

http://www.theforce.net/swtc/holocaust.html

If you can actually get through this page, it does sound pretty convincing from a Scientific and Physical view, but it doesn't mention the Force at all. I also like to think the Force protected the little green moon of Endor. After all, the events that led up to the death of the emperor and the destruction of the Death Star II restored the balance in the Force. The moon of Endor and the Ewok population (love them or hate them) helped in this effort. It would make sense that this balance of Force would allow for the protection of an innocent and simple race that helped to achieve it.

saladin
06-07-2002, 09:13 AM
They all die and we're all happy.

bigbarada
06-07-2002, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by saladin
They all die and were all happy.

They are happy because they die?:confused: What an odd comment.

chris
06-07-2002, 11:04 AM
yea, saladin is odd.Hehe. I refuse to believe the Ewoks went extinct after ROTJ. There didnt seem to be a lot of debris after the DS blew up. Maybe the chain reaction that destroyed it vaporized most of it.

chris
06-07-2002, 11:17 AM
yea, saladin is odd.Hehe. I refuse to believe the Ewoks went extinct after ROTJ. There didnt seem to be a lot of debris after the DS blew up. Maybe the chain reaction that destroyed it vaporized most of it.

Exhaust Port
06-07-2002, 11:39 AM
bigbarada, it has less to do with the direction of travel of exploding pieces of the Death Star and more to do with the velocity of those pieces. Even if a piece of the DS is traveling away from Endor perpendicular to it's surface and doesn't exceed the necessary Escape Velocity it will return to smash into the planet or achieve Orbital Velocity.

Initial DS piece would end up either being thrown clear, smash immediately into the planet or just remain in orbit. My guess since the planet was so much larger than the DS that a majority of the pieces would end up in an orbit around Endor. It would probably resemble Saturn with it's ring of rock and ice. As time pasted the closer pieces of the DS would slow due to atmospheric friction and begin to fall towards the planet. In addition, those remaining pieces would collide and build in size. As their size built and changed their mass they would be below the required speed for the new mass and fall to the planet.

Long term the rate of falling DS pieces would slow. But there would most likely always be a ring of DS garbage stuck in orbit as well. It would be quite an obstacle to navigate through when flying to/from the planet surface. Perhaps all our hero's on the surface were stuck there for years due to the hazard of exiting through the DS remains.

El_Pasty_Muchacho
06-08-2002, 06:26 PM
Hate to bust your bubble, but here's an updated and more accurate version of that precious little diagram of yours, complete with actual scientific and mathematical law and fact. :)

Exhaust Port
06-08-2002, 11:03 PM
El_Pasty_Muchacho, what actual scientific law/fact and mathematical law/fact are applied in that diagram? I don't think any mathmatical law is even applicable to this situtation. Mathmatical laws deal with things such as 1+1=2 and no one here is arguing that. It's purely a physics issue and that can only be hypothosized since no actual data is available.

So I hate to burst your bubble, but your diagram is no more accurate than anyone else's unless you can provide hard numbers. I think the above website provided by Wookiee is about the best attempt even though I think it references too much other fictional occurances or data as back up for their finds.

The one thing that the website article fails to account for is that fact that Endor is a moon. Not only would DS debris have to escape the gravitational pull of Endor the moon but the gas giant planet of Endor. Most likely the DS debris would end up as a ring around the planet as well as the moon similar to the rings of Saturn or our galaxy's asteroid belt. The moon Endor would then spend the next several decades flying among the remaining space junk creating havoc for it's in habitants.

El_Pasty_Muchacho
06-09-2002, 12:51 AM
Alright, I may not have included a scale diagram with numbers and stuff attached to angles, but if you compare my diagram with that of bigbarada mine is much more geometrically sound and plausible. Compare them! That's where the laws of math are involved: in the geometry.

I also took into account the debris that wouldn't break the gravitational pull and would be pulled into orbit AROUND the moon until the orbit decayed and the debris impacted on the surface... that would be the physics.

So there would be where math and physics and laws of nature come into play. Granted, my diagram is not perfect. Hey, let's face it. I just drew the thing up in paint... but the basic ideas of geometry and physics are real. By physics and geometry (and according to MY diagram), the area of debris that would have directly hit the moon was much larger than bigbarada would have us believe. And where was his acknowledgement of the scientific FACT concerning gravitational pulls and decaying orbits? Hmm??!

So no, I'm no mathematician or scientist... I'm just a Comp Tech for a software company that handles data management for Oil Companies. But if there's one thing I do know, its that the laws of the universe sealed the fate of those loveable, cuddly, furry, and yes... very dead Ewoks.

bigbarada
06-09-2002, 01:13 AM
Well, the only real problem is that your diagram doesn't take into account the atmosphere around the moon (which obviously exists since there is breathable air and a forest can't exist in the vacuum of space). The upper atmosphere of our Earth acts as a force field for falling objects. Anything aimed at the Earth at specific angles would bounce off the atmosphere like a rock skipping on a pond. The same would be true for Endor. That was what my diagram was taking into effect. Sure I have no scientific numbers to back up the exact angles and velocities; but the basic principle is there.

However, if you are just so in love with the idea of all the Ewoks being killed off from falling debris then fine. You stick with your theory, I'll stick with mine.

In my little universe the Ewoks lived happily ever after, frolicking merrily through the forest.:p:D

Beast
06-09-2002, 01:16 AM
Originally posted by bigbarada
In my little universe the Ewoks lived happily ever after, frolicking merrily through the forest.:p:D
In my little universe as well, and I am sure since George Lucas loves Ewoks, they would be in his universe as well. Since the EU can't even agree on what happened, I'll go with what I believe Lucas would have done. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Exhaust Port
06-09-2002, 01:31 AM
I'm more inclined to agree with bigbarada's drawing that yours EPM. None of your information is based on math or physics. You based all your statements on your drawing. That's like Newton arguing that gravity pulls objects towards the larger body because that's what he drew in his notebook. Honestly, you argue about your use of Math and Physics and yet its just a drawing.

How does your drawing provide evidence that the debris will remain in orbit? Other than the fact that you drew some arrows and put a note stating that there is no use of math or physics as you state.

Bigbarada's drawing is more plausable for the reason's he stated. The atmosphere is the biggest barrier to an incoming debris and won't allow for a impact spread as your "drawing" shows. For that reason we get our frequent meteor showers with no or very few impacts on our planet.

Obi-Don
06-09-2002, 05:06 AM
Good job BigB. So far your explainion seems to be the best. I don't think the Deathstar would have wiped out the whole moon.

bigbarada
06-09-2002, 09:56 AM
Thanks for the support.:)

As for the question of escape velocity, well the Death Star explosion would be the equivalent of a megaton nuclear blast (possibly without the nuclear reaction, but just a big whopper of a "boom"). I think that would provide plenty of escape velocity to send the debris on it's merry way out of the gravitational influence of Endor. But that's just me.

Don't forget the Rebel fleet which is most likely hanging out over the moon until all the drunken revelers get over their hangovers. I'm sure they would scoop up any large chunks of debris that hung around. Maybe for scrap metal, maybe to protect Endor. Who knows? Just an idea that hasn't been explored yet.

Exhaust Port
06-09-2002, 12:15 PM
Your right a good part of the debris could escape the pull of the moon Endor but even a large blast would have trouble breaking away from the gravitational pull of the gas giant Endor planet. Not that that explains what impact that would have on the inhabited moon Endor.

I forgot about the rebel fleet. Boy nothing like millions of tons of scrap metal being thrown your direction at 30 km/sec (just a made up number). That would put a damper on any celebrating taking place on the space ships.

Comment 1: "Alright, we destroyed the Death Star!!!"

Followed immediately by:

Comment 2: "Oh crap, here comes some rather large pieces of the Death Star at an uncomfortable speed." :D

El_Pasty_Muchacho
06-09-2002, 06:53 PM
::shakes his head in disappointment:: Oy... I admitted it was just a drawing! I simply said though that my angles were more geometrically sound. Compare, for example, the angles of falling debris that both bigB and myself drew expanded from the deathstar towards the moon in the inital blast. My blast angles were much wider, because as the debris expanded from the point of detination, it would have covered a much larger area... THAT my friends, is scientific fact. The debris would have covered much more area upon inital impact than BibB's diagram allowed... That's all I was saying.

And yes, some debris would ricochet off the atmosphere. But some would fall later in a decaying orbit.. that's fact too... things in a low orbit eventually fall to the body around which they orbit because of atmospheric friction as well as other little things that I'm not fully knowlegeable on.

I'm not saying that every piece of debris fell to the moon, I'm simply saying that the amount of debris that DID actually impact was PROBABLY more than any of your sentimental hearts are willing to accept. Don't make me get an actual mathematician in here!! Just understand what my diagram was saying: Not that more Ewoks would have had to die, but the area of impact to to the expanding of the debris outwards from detination would have been much larger than BigB allowed.

El_Pasty_Muchacho
06-09-2002, 06:56 PM
BTW, you wanted to talk about information that's not backed up by anything? 1 Megaton seems awfully tame for the very large, very powerful main reactor of a rather large and deadly space station going pop. Where exactly did that figure come from?

Jason B
06-09-2002, 06:59 PM
not to mention the fact that the drawings that you showed were 2D. expand it out to 3D, and you will see that there is quite a bit of damage done. rather than being a line, it will be a cone, leaving a good-sized hold in the planet.plus, its a forest moon, which means that fires would be started, and i dont think that there's an Ewok Fire Department. :D

El_Pasty_Muchacho
06-09-2002, 07:05 PM
THANK you, someone who sees the cone of death I was trying to portray in my diagram. An expanded cone of possible impact points, that's all!

And I must say, I agree with the fires and the lack of fire fighting equipment that the ewoks posess. Thanks for the support.

Very good points, Jason... very good points indeed.

Jason B
06-09-2002, 07:11 PM
:D
I'll try making an over-head view of it to demonstrate.

Jason B
06-09-2002, 07:21 PM

El_Pasty_Muchacho
06-09-2002, 08:19 PM
Good call! Much appreciated!

Ya know, whether the Ewoks lived or died (even though they died without a doubt), I am forced to grin at the fact that here we are debating the issue of the Ewok holocaust, each whipping out our respective diagrams and theories... ::contented sigh:: I love you guys!! ::sniffle::

BTW, Jason... What does it mean by "Last smacked down by Jeditricks on 06-07-2002 at 2:59 AM"?

Jason B
06-09-2002, 08:25 PM
i posted a thread asking about the lack of IMG coding, and he responded saying that some posted porn, so it was turned off, but maybe i could talk to SirSteve about later. it wasnt the response i was looking for (;)) so i put that as part of my sig, with the date and time he posted that reply. :D

i know, you think about it, its hilarious that we're putting all the time and effort into argueing about if some teddy bears on a small moon died or not. :crazed:

bigbarada
06-09-2002, 11:48 PM
Originally posted by El_Pasty_Muchacho
BTW, you wanted to talk about information that's not backed up by anything? 1 Megaton seems awfully tame for the very large, very powerful main reactor of a rather large and deadly space station going pop. Where exactly did that figure come from?

I made it up completely off the top of my head.:D I'm not a scientist in any sense of the word. It just seemed to make sense that not all the debris aimed at the moon of Endor would impact the planet. I would say about 50-60% (again just a guess) of the debris actually aimed at the moon would actually impact the moon and looking at how small the Death Star is compared to Endor, that is not enough to lay waste to the entire moon. Any real damage done to Endor would be done within the first few seconds of the blast and while there would be some debris hanging out in orbit around Endor, it's not like the inhabitants would be under a constant barrage of debris.

My diagram was made to simply illustrate the concept of the atmosphere deflecting chunks of debris, it wasn't meant to be taken as an exact scientific representation. Simply put, not all debris aimed at the moon would hit the moon, it would be deflected and the velocity given to that object by the Death Star's blast would propell it well out of range of being a threat to Endor.

Exhaust Port
06-10-2002, 12:03 AM
EPM, I couldn't find a reference to a 1 Megaton blast value. If it was stated, it is well below what it would be most likely.

Another interesting fact in dealing with debris entering the atmosphere is that smaller pieces have an easier time reaching the surface than larger ones. Larger object encounter a greater pressure force upon entering the atmosphere creating more heat. That higher heat usually ends up destroying the meteor/debris before it even hits the surface. Dust particles will slow more easily and with less heat due to a lower pressure force as it enters the atmosphere. Just something interesting I found out while researching this topic on the web.

With that in mind what would the chances be of a superstructure piece even reaching the surface or how much would be left. A superstructure isn't very dense and would probably easily disintegrate entering the atmosphere. Only the giant pieces might reach the moon's surface but after an explosion of that magnitude I doubt there would be many of those.

bigbarada
06-10-2002, 05:31 AM
I've been giving this some more thought and I think I figured it all out. There are just enough unknowns in this equation (actual velocity debris was traveling, gravitational constant of Endor, actual strength of DS2 blast) for both sides of this argument to fudge the "science" enough to prove their point of view. It all depends on whether you want the Ewoks to all die or not.

I liked the Ewoks and wouldn't want to see them get wiped out after all they did for the Rebellion. And while I do accept the fact that some debris landed on Endor I don't believe a.) it was enough to wipe out all life on that moon or b.) it just happened to all land in the tiny 10-20 square mile (another guess but I'm assuming the actual size was much smaller) area the events in ROTJ took place in.

Wookiee
06-10-2002, 09:20 AM
I think the proposed disaster would not have been caused by the debris hitting and destroying the moon, the moon is just too big in comparison to the Death Star for it to be destroyed or even partially damaged in this way.

It seems that the real disaster would be a large chunk or chunks of debris, say the size of a large city smashing into the moon and kicking up a lot of dust and clouds of dirt into the atmosphere, blocking out the sunlight, making the moon uninhabitable. There are similar theories about the extinction of the dinosaurs here on Earth, due to a large comet or meteor hitting Earth, not one big enough to damage the planet itself, but large enought to leave dark clouds of dust in the sky for centuries.

I, for one, don't think that Endor was destroyed, I believe in some sort of intervention of the Force. Even so, if you subscribe to the dinosaur extinction theory by means of blocking out the sunlight, recall that the dinosaurs were large reptiles. And remember who survived this mass extinction on Earth? Small furry mammals.

bigbarada
06-10-2002, 09:57 AM
Besides I'm sure someone in the Rebellion was enamored enough with the Ewoks to check up on them from time to time and see how they were doing. If a large chunk of debris was making the planet uninhabitable for them, then I'm sure a relocation would have been necessary to make sure the species survived.

El_Pasty_Muchacho
06-10-2002, 04:42 PM
Fact of the matter is that all our people were really really busy in the Ssi-ruuvi fleet at Bakura to worry about relocating a bunch of prehistoric tree-dwelling bear thingies. Don't get me wrong, I'm a fan of the Ewok... but I'm a realist.

And the Wookster up there has a point... dust that would have been kicked up, accompanied with the earlier possibility of fires due to very hot material crashing into a FOREST moon... Ya know, maybe ALL of the Ewoks didn't die... but it would still be a sizeable death toll... an "Ewok Holocaust" as it were...

RooJay
06-10-2002, 05:34 PM
Here's what happens in MY OWN EU version of what happened to Endor after the Death Star exploded. Please, everyone, feel free to disagree with me, but in my own mind this is how it will always have happened:

The rebels, not wanting to lose Han Solo, Princess Leia, and the rest of their operatives have several ships involved in the battle designated to spread their shields and tractor beams about the expected blast area, which when coupled with a number of allocated turbolaser batteries creates a fairly effective screen against debris. Far and away most of the debris is blasted out into deep space, a small percentage bounces off of the atmosphere, some enters orbt around the moon, and the rest of the larger chunks are caught by the rebel shields and tractors beams, or blasted by their turbolasers. Perhaps some debris escapes, but nothing large enough to create any kind of wide scale ecological disaster and most of it burns up in the atmosphere (I don't recall seeing any particularly large sized chunks in the explosion. It always seemed to me that the whole thing was more or less atomized, but that's just me.). Any large pieces of debris in orbit around the moon after the battle are picked off by rebel ships as a courtesy to the Ewoks, and as thanks for helping defeat the Empire (for which, the Ewoks would now be galactic war heroes!). I LOVES me some Ewoks! I think the rebellion would too after the Ewoks made their victory possible. Heck, Han, Luke, Leia, and the rest of their raiding party were made honorary members of Chief Chirpa's tribe! I don't think they'd let anything bad happen to the little fellers.
I think it's also of some importance to realize that if any Ewoks died as a result of debris from the initial blast (and this should be a great importance to anyone who's read and accepts evidence presented in the EU that any Ewoks died in this way!) that Han Solo, Princess Leia, and the rest of the rebel heroes on Endor would've died as well. Especially what with the shield generator being pretty much right smack-dab underneath the exploding Death Star (and in it's "cone of destruction"!). If you believe any mention of this from the EU then you'd also more or less have to believe that Han and Leia weren't around anymore either.
I'm sure LOTS of people (and at least a few in particular ;) ) will take issue with my own personal version of what happened, but no argument could ever convince me otherwise in my own mind.:p :crazed:

El_Pasty_Muchacho
06-10-2002, 06:48 PM
OK... Our heroes and the Rebel fleet were pulled out of the Endor system a few days after the battle to answer the Ssi-ruuvi threat at Bakura. A few days is NOT enough time to take care of the thousands upon thousands of chunks of debris that would threaten the peaceful little moon, chunks ranging in size from a foot or smaller across to chunks probably comparable to a Star Destroyer or larger.... (BTW, check RotJ planet side view up into the sky when the DS explodes, you can see one distinct chunk, obviously very large to be seen from the ground.)

RooJay
06-10-2002, 10:51 PM
Originally posted by El_Pasty_Muchacho
OK... Our heroes and the Rebel fleet were pulled out of the Endor system a few days after the battle to answer the Ssi-ruuvi threat at Bakura.

No, they're not because they're dead. After a few days enough debris would've hit in the area of the shield generator effectively crushing and frying our heroes. Actually, that'd probably happen within minutes of the explosion unless the rebels had some contingency plan to deal with the debris, which is exactly what happens in MY version. I have already made up my mind about it, and even if George Lucas himself called me on the phone to tell me it happened otherwise I'd still believe it!:p Nice try though!:D

El Chuxter
02-14-2007, 10:16 AM
At the beginning of the Rogue Squadron Omnibus #1 (not sure what issue of which miniseries that is), there's still a sizeable Rebel presence on Endor after the events at Bakura. Endor seems none the worse for wear, and two of the Rogues even take down a major rarity: a Gorax.

More than five years later, Kyp Durron visits the site of Vader's cremation and senses several sentient lifeforms in the vicinity, including a band of Ewok hunters and another Gorax. I've seen it argued that these Ewoks could've been sent back to repopulate the moon, but something as rare as the Gorax would have gone extinct, at least in the immediate area.

Other EU sources have mentioned that Paploo replaces Logray as the shaman (though I disagree with the implication in that tale that Logray was a fraud--dude, you saw the crazy magic he did in Caravan of Courage), and that, years after the destruction of the Death Star, the Ewoks of Bright Tree Village held a combination feast to honor the dead Chirpa, as well as celebrate the marriage of Wicket and Kneesa, and Kneesa's ascension to chief(tess). Given that this village had the Death Star practically in the 12 o'clock position, they would've been the first wiped out if there was such a disaster.

So, sorry to dredge this up, but no Ewok holocaust. Like BigB said, they're still frolicking merrily through the forest.

No, the only disaster was that TEEK! had, for reasons unknown, left Bright Tree Village. He could've singlehandedly taken down the bunker without any Rebel assistance.

Slicker
02-14-2007, 12:10 PM
I didn't bother to read the entire thread (actually, I only read your last post Chux) but I've read/heard that the Rebels erected (tee hee) small shield generators all around Bright Tree Village to deflect any pieces that fell.

2-1B
02-15-2007, 09:48 PM
I've heard this theory before, and I maintain that the Jedi spirits protected the Sanctuary Moon and all it's furry inhabitants. :)

So THAT's where the 'Bas Shaw Ghost went ! :eek:

Maybe they had a soft spot for Teddy Bears?:D

Supposedly only three Jedi are able to retain their identities after death, Yoda, Obi-Wan and Anakin. But that's an issue for an Ep3 discussion.

Four if you count Young Anakin. :grin:

BountyHunterScum
02-15-2007, 10:13 PM
Thats why EU sucks sometimes because its too much of a grey area. Just like the whole Imperial vs Imperator deal. It never was Imperator and it never will be. As well as the SSD thing, forever Super Star Destroyer.