PDA

View Full Version : That's No Universe . . . It's A Galaxy!!!

Mr. JabbaJohnL
06-06-2002, 04:28 PM
Maybe I'm delusional, but during the podrace, the Basic-talkin' head of Fode and Bede says:
"No matter what universe you're from, that's got to hurt!"
This was in the theaters, and I think on the April 4, 2000 video release. But on the DVD, he says:
"No matter what galaxy you're from, that's got to hurt!"
This makes much more sense, considering, there's only one universe ("uni"="one").
Did anyone else notice this?

JediTricks
06-06-2002, 09:53 PM
I don't remember precisely, my memory says it might be "dimension", but I think you're right, it did say "universe". In either case, I think they'd be referring to multi-dimensional issues since each dimension could have a universe as we know it (let's face it, dimensional theory can be quite complicated :D). All I know is "galaxy" sounds slightly better and it was NOT in the theater edition.

Beast
06-06-2002, 09:59 PM
I'll check tommorow on this, I swear he says galaxy. Thankfully I have a theatrical bootleg, and will be able to tell you for sure. Sadly my VCR is fried, and since I only watch DVD's anymore...I haven't bothered to replace it. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

darthvyn
06-06-2002, 11:10 PM
definitely was universe in the theater... i agree that it should be galaxy, as with anakin's quote "mom, you say the biggest problem in the universe is no one helps each other..." or some such thing...

2-1B
06-06-2002, 11:56 PM
I remember hearing "universe" in theaters as well - it struck me as odd. Huh, I didn't even notice the DVD change. :stupid:

JediTricks
06-07-2002, 02:55 AM
I don't have the DVD so I'll need to check my VHS copy, but I remember how much my group was bothered by that "no matter what universe you're from..." line on opening night. It was "hair-standing-on-end" bad. :eek:

saladin
06-07-2002, 07:46 AM
Darthvyn that ani qoute sounds fine< corny< but fine> Lucas probably ment the whole universe, like us to.

chris
06-07-2002, 09:45 AM
the line was universe in the movie, and they changed to make more sense probably. Then again, i didnt like Fode and Beeds dialogue at all, so, no real difference for me.

scruffziller
06-07-2002, 10:50 PM
No don't forget there are infinite universes just watch Star Trek NG's episode PARRALLELS!

Obi-Don
06-08-2002, 01:30 AM
There are always little mistakes like these in movies. I choose to not pay them any mind. Unless the movie just out right sucks. Then it just makes it worse.

LTBasker
06-08-2002, 07:32 AM
Originally posted by scruffziller
No don't forget there are infinite universes just watch Star Trek NG's episode PARRALLELS!

Maybe it was one of the Ent-D crewmembers in disguise. :sur:

scruffziller
06-08-2002, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by LTBasker

Maybe it was one of the Ent-D crewmembers in disguise. :sur:

YEAH!!!!!!!!!!

darthvyn
06-08-2002, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by saladin
Darthvyn that ani qoute sounds fine< corny< but fine> Lucas probably ment the whole universe, like us to.

actually, i like the sentiment of it... but the use of universe always struck me as funny. i could totally hear my mom saying this with the word "world" in it, so it would make sense for shmi to say "galaxy."

on another note, it always struck me as an oddity for ben to say "you've taken your first step into a larger world." now, i know it's metaphoric, but it still was funny. here he is leaving his home planet, and ben says he's stepping into a larger world. with this one, though, i feel that that's the idea. with the anakin quote, it feels a little forced...