PDA

View Full Version : Parallels Between Jedi And Priesthood...

darthvyn
06-07-2002, 12:06 AM
i was just talking with my mom and uncle about recent events in the catholic church and got to thinking... could lucas be drawing parallels with the "jedi's shall not know love..." idea and the celebate nature of the catholic priesthood? and the inherent "evils" that it might draw forth...

Beast
06-07-2002, 12:11 AM
Actually, it's more likely that the Jedi are based on traditional Monks. Not all priests practice celibacy, alot of them have wives and children. Traditional monks on the other hand, usually take vows of celibacy, give up material possessions, and dress in simple cloaks and robes. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

darthvyn
06-07-2002, 12:19 AM
Originally posted by JarJarBinks
Not all priests practice celibacy, alot of them have wives and children.

all CATHOLIC priests practice celebacy... i don't doubt that monks were the most inspiration for the jedi way of life, but i find it interesting with all that has been going on in the catholic church recently that anakin's completely forbidden love (a plot device only introduced in this new installment...) is a big part of his downfall... you do know what events i'm talking about, right?

2-1B
06-07-2002, 12:58 AM
I seriously doubt any and all intentional parallels. Asceticism goes wayyyyyyy beyond Catholicism.

Darthvyn, I think Binksy was referring to ministers in general, with Catholic priests being a small percentage of them.

saladin
06-07-2002, 08:33 AM
Actually if your marrried and your wife dies< and you still have
kids, you can become a catholic priest. Plus since EP1 we knew Anikan was going to have to brake rules to love. Plus in the jedi order if it's your people's custom to get married, such as Ki-Adi< you can, he has several wives.

derek
06-07-2002, 09:11 AM
lucas said in an interview recently that the jedi aren't celibate. only attachment is forbidden. so i guess they get weekend passses to visit the "ladies of coruscant" from time to time.

and the only reason the catholic church wants it's priests celibate is to save money, not that marriage is inheriently evil in some way. they are concerned about a priest getting married, getting divorced and having the ex-wife make a claim for money or property against the church. this happened in the past, so the catholic church implememted this rule.

chris
06-07-2002, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by JarJarBinks
Actually, it's more likely that the Jedi are based on traditional Monks. Not all priests practice celibacy, alot of them have wives and children. Traditional monks on the other hand, usually take vows of celibacy, give up material possessions, and dress in simple cloaks and robes. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks
yea, ive noticed that before too. The jedi live a very simple, peaceful life that is really reminniscent of monks, except jedi have lightsabers:D

Master Goeweins
06-08-2002, 12:16 PM
There are more religions than only Catholicism that have the rule of their religious patriarchs refraining from marriage. It is commonly stated that attachment, lust, or any emotion of such nature would be a huge distraction. It is is even shown in ATOC. When Padme falls from the ship, Anakin immediately forgets his responsibilities and wants to go back for her. This was not leading him to the Dark Side, it was distracting him from his duties.
I don't think that their are any similarities between the movie and the current problems in the Catholic church.

Darth Nihilus
06-08-2002, 01:48 PM
The Jedi are based on the proactive ecclesiastical orders of the Knights Templar and Hospitalier. They were an order around the middle ages that were trained in the traditional manner but also followed a theocratic code.

2-1B
07-27-2006, 12:09 PM
Welcome to the boards, DarthN00bVyn. lol lol lol

Slicker
07-27-2006, 01:41 PM
Man you got shot down hard on that one Vyn!!!

darthvyn
08-11-2006, 02:50 PM
i know! i cried like, so much that night!

could you imagine if i had suggested a clone darth maul???!?