PDA

View Full Version : Don't open your Bespin Vaders!

Obi-wedge
06-07-2002, 06:20 PM
I found and opened one today. What a disappointment!!! I was so looking forward to this figure. His whole body is just...funky. his left arm needs a lot of work in order to recreate that final bespin scene. I hope the Luke has some better articulation.

Adam
06-07-2002, 06:29 PM
If you go back and watch Empire, Vader does have his hand open like that reaching out to Luke at one point. Check it out.

I think don't Vaders that bad. He's certainly better than "primal scream" mace windu..

Obi-wedge
06-07-2002, 06:33 PM
Yeah but there is no bend to his arm. A little bend is all Im asking for...is that so wrong?

Adam
06-07-2002, 06:35 PM
nah, I see your point there. Oh well. The day we get a Star Wars figure that no one has any complaints about will be a good day indeed..

Obi-wedge
06-07-2002, 06:40 PM
Agreed!

pthfnder89
06-07-2002, 07:11 PM
Well he does have some problems but I was pretty happy with him. :)

MikeAndTheBots
06-07-2002, 07:19 PM
I don't really mind him. He is a bit scene specific but he's still pretty good.

Darth Yambag
06-07-2002, 07:20 PM
I will not join you!!!

Vader (bespin) is great with his open hand and scene specific detail. The part of the catwalk he comes with is brilliant and makes for great scene building.

Go back and enjoy your Captain Typho figures if you don't like this Darth.

Darth_Maul25SW
06-07-2002, 07:26 PM
I think this Darth is hella cool. And that's saying a hella lot

QLD
06-07-2002, 07:33 PM
I like it just fine. I just hate the big stick sticking out of his butt.

hango fett
06-07-2002, 07:37 PM
he is a cool little guy! but he should have had the magnet in the other hand.....AND they need to make the reomvable LS blades ALOT more sturdy. i tried to knock off the walckway thing he cam with and it almost bent!(well, it did bend but i bent it back..)

DarthMaulSithLord
06-07-2002, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by Adam
The day we get a Star Wars figure that no one has any complaints about will be a good day indeed..

Yeah, when 300th Fett came out it was a great day indeed!

:D

Beast
06-07-2002, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by DarthMaulSithLord
Yeah, when 300th Fett came out it was a great day indeed! :D
Trust me, people complained about that figure too. Most of the complaints were about the pre-posing and the lack of articulation. I don't think it's possible for Hasbro to make a figure, that noone complains about. To many Star Wars fans that are overly picky and fickle. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

figrin bran
06-07-2002, 10:44 PM
now you tell me not to open up the vader! ;)

jar jar is totally right about how there will never be a "perfect" figure.

stillakid
06-07-2002, 11:20 PM
Originally posted by figrin bran

jar jar is totally right about how there will never be a "perfect" figure.

Have you seen Victoria Silvstedt lately? :cool:

QLD
06-07-2002, 11:41 PM
I thought Malakili was pretty close to perfect.....

QLD
06-07-2002, 11:42 PM
FOR ME TO POOP ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SuperBattleDroid88
06-08-2002, 12:05 AM
I like the Vader but I just don't like the cape!!!!! IT always comes off and it is all weird!!!!!!!!!! :crazed:

saladin
06-08-2002, 12:25 AM
well i can't wait for me to go and get it, even if he isn't as great as i once thought, but i know i'll hate that thing in his back.

Darth Detori
06-08-2002, 12:39 AM
Commtech Stormtrooper! GREAT figure! who's gonna disagree with me??? ;)

bigbarada
06-08-2002, 12:54 AM
Originally posted by Darth Detori
Commtech Stormtrooper! GREAT figure! who's gonna disagree with me??? ;)

Me.;)

No, really I never understood why this figure was considered so great. Sure he was an improvement buy still way off from the movie costume. His shoulder joints were ugly and even with all that articulation he was pretty unposeable.

JediTricks
06-08-2002, 03:02 AM
Bespin Vader ain't my cup of tea either, his torso box is off at a weird angle, his waist is gappy for the gimmick (which means he isn't as poseable), his arm is very straight, his legs are VERY straight, his cape barely stays on and I don't like how it looks, and he's got that button/gimmick which interests me not at all.

There are a few things I do like about the figure, but they're overshadowed in my book by the things I don't.

LTBasker
06-08-2002, 08:02 AM
The thing I hate most about scene specific figures is the fact that Hasbro dumbly gives out the "scene specific for collectors" excuse, and then they pull an Eeth Koth. :rolleyes:

Jargo
06-08-2002, 12:46 PM
Saw it and left it on the pegs. Should have had soft goods cape instead of the molded flapping one. Shouldn't have had the slashing feature and that big carbunkle on his butt. The accessory is useless without the rest of the gantry or the rest of the vane that Luke stands on. luke should have come with the other part instead of the exterior vane. But Hasbro is very good at making items that don't fit with any other figures. That part of the gantry that packs with Vader is pretty redundant really IMO.

And yes, with thousands of collectors who each have specific preferences and wants there is never going to be a perfect figure. There's no such thing as perfection anyway. If you forget abut collecting them all and only concentrate on the figures you actually like, there's so many Vader figures already produced there has to be at least one that seems decent enough. For me it's the commtech version. And Dagobah Vader is a close second. But with the third movie in the prequels centering on the transformation of Anakin into Vader there is sure to be a million and one Vader figures in the not too distant future. I can wait and see which one I like the best before I buy. The same as I do with all the core characters. Hopefully soon the lightsaber spastic actions will be left behind in the big box of bad ideas and we'll get back to decent figures with decent articulation and figures worth buying. :)

Starfig873
06-08-2002, 02:05 PM
I think it's a nice scene specific figure, but I do agree it could have been better. Especially the cape. The magnet is placed in the open hand, which I thought was weird. Ah well. It has it's charm and it's faults.

Adam
06-08-2002, 06:39 PM
I don't really mind Bespin Vader all that much, but like JediTricks said he gets overshadowed by the bad.

Hey, I started a mini debate. Cool! I agree that there will never be a perfect figure. To many people with to many likes/dislikes.

SQueek
06-08-2002, 08:18 PM
this figure would be 10x better without all the crap they add to make to do stuff, all of them would. when will hasbro figure out that articulation is good and action crap is bad

mjb81288
06-08-2002, 09:51 PM
I think that this is a great Darth Vader figure and I think that it goes great with the New Bespin Luke, but I have had to buy two of these figures. The reason I had to do thath is, that I pressed the button on the back to make him swing his light saber, and I heard a nice healthy crunch.:) I went to TRU and purchased a new one, and when I opened it the figure was in great shape, but the cape had a large crack in the middle of it, and not only that it had a big sploch of blue paint on it. That day Hasbro sent me my product replacement label, and I noticed that when I was boxing Mr. Vader up, that the first cape was perfect, which gave me the idea of swiching capes.

After this whole fiasco you might think that I would not like this figure, but I think the complete opposite. Obsticles aside I would give this figure **** 1/2 out of *****.

bigbarada
06-08-2002, 10:07 PM
Haven't seen this figure yet at all. Although all of these complaints are making me more than a little wary of what I originally percieved to be an unnecessary resculpt.

Hey, Jargo, I agree that the CTC Vader is one of the best ever made. My second choice though would be Removable Helmet Vader.

How about FX-7 for best figure ever? 38 points of articulation! Beat that Spidey!:p

Lman316
06-08-2002, 11:02 PM
I like the Vader. I do agree that the gimmick shouldn't be there, and it shouldn't be so over-posed, but I think he looks cool dueling with my Bespin Luke.
However, on the note of the 300th Boba Fett: I'm under the impression that if Hasbro put one more point of articulation (his right wrist. Then it would look like he's holding his gun normally in this hand) this would have been a non-pre-posed figure. I have Fett with his gun down, and his other hand on top of it, like you see him holding it in the movies. And his legs aren't that pre-posed, so he looks fine.
I'm including a pic to show you what I mean.

End :happy:.

Jedi_Rainman
06-09-2002, 03:40 PM
Leave him in the package. Its better that way!

fourtwo
06-09-2002, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by Adam
nah, I see your point there. Oh well. The day we get a Star Wars figure that no one has any complaints about will be a good day indeed..

since everyone is way to picky that will never happen. they'll make something so brilliant that it can't be critiqued and someone will say "took em long enough" or something silly like that. i try to not complain about the toys as i know they're making them for kids, not jaded aging collectors...although they probably hsold be as i assume we give them most of there business :)

humsup
06-09-2002, 11:13 PM
I find the Vader pretty cool. At least the height is in scale and that pose in the bubble looks authentic enough based on the film. Good job on Hasbro for this fig IMO.

JediTricks
06-10-2002, 03:09 AM
Originally posted by bigbarada
How about FX-7 for best figure ever? 38 points of articulation! Beat that Spidey!:p Super Articulated movie Spidey has 36 points of articulation, is several inches taller than FX-7, his articulation isn't just the same arm over and over, yet he sells for the same price! :D

RooJay
06-11-2002, 06:55 PM
Just curious...why "don't open" him and not "don't BUY him"?

Personally, I love the figure! I think he's the best, most accurate Vader Hasbro has done so far, and I even consider him one of my favorite Star Wars figures. He just looks damned cool standing there on my shelf!

Jaina Solo
06-12-2002, 04:47 PM
Just got my Bespin Vader. I have a few gripes, but overall I think he's cool.

Gripe #1- The damn button. Couldn't they have made it smaller? I've got half a mind to take out my trusy exacto knife (needed it once already to free Vader from his plastic prison...Damn Hasbro) and chop it in half.

Gripe #2- the cape. Nice scult for a plastic cape, but it keeps falling off. It /flies/ off if you push the button. Amusing, but not too cool.

So far my favorite Vader of the three I own (POTF, ComTech, & Bespin Saga) is the Comtech, but this one is okay. And the pack in is great. Diorama fodder!

BillyJAck
06-12-2002, 07:49 PM
FX-7 is the best figure hasbro has ever made. Hands down. If somebody complains about that figure they just have a negative outlook on everything. Also Tessek is a close second in my opinion. He doesn't need lots of articulation cause he's Jabba's accountant not Jabba's skiff guard. he only needs to stand there. Ephant Mon look like he could also be one of the best to ever come out of hasbro also..we'll see

billy

LTBasker
06-12-2002, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by BillyJAck
FX-7 is the best figure hasbro has ever made. Hands down. If somebody complains about that figure they just have a negative outlook on everything. Also Tessek is a close second in my opinion. He doesn't need lots of articulation cause he's Jabba's accountant not Jabba's skiff guard.

That's true, he can even lick a finger tip to go through the books! ;)