PDA

View Full Version : What are you listening to?

Fulit
09-22-2001, 11:03 PM
What's in your CD player as of late? Personally, I just bought the Cars Anthology, and that's in there as well as some old Mr. Bungle, Faith No More, and The Pixies. What are you listening to?

bigbarada
09-22-2001, 11:36 PM
I've been listening to a variety of stuff. Although today I just got done downloading a whole bunch of Sisters of Mercy, Tori Amos and New Model Army songs from Audiogalaxy.com. New Model Army is a punk band that, last I heard, was banned in the US for some political reason or whatever, so you'll almost never find one of their album's in America. I was introduced to them in Germany, way back in 1992 and have liked them ever since.

Faith No More is a really cool band. I really liked their Angel Dust album.

Other bands I consistently like are: Type O Negative, Fear Factory, Metallica, Iron Maiden, Led Zeppelin, The Who and Blink 182. Kind of a mix of all kinds of rock.

Okay, editing in some of the bands I'm kicking myself for forgetting: Prick (awesome band!), Clutch, Blinker the Star, Hum, Kate Bush, Sinead O'Connor (wierd but cool), NIN and Rammstein.

Obi-Don
09-23-2001, 07:03 AM
Lately I was listening to ENYA but I jump around alot with different types from hard rock to soft.

Jargo
09-23-2001, 09:40 AM
Sounds of whales humping....Oh, I mean hump back whales :eek:
Actually, mostly just ambient stuff. Compilation and mix albums of trance and new age tinkly twangly stuff to chill out to. If you can get hold of the EUPHORIA series of chilled albums you'd be doing yourself a great service. You can't mosh to it but you can get great....... if you put it on when your special someone is around :D Dudes you know it's true!
Other than that I've been digging out my ancient collection of cassette singles to listen to and wonder which ones to replace with CD versions if they are still available. stuff like Carter USM, Shed Seven, Pulp, Echobelly, tellytubbies..... (my dog likes it) .... Suede. Tom waits albums seem to be raining about my ears right now in cassette form. Guess i must have really dug him back in the day. Swordfishtrombones is still my favourite album of his. I'll be listening to that at some point today :)

Starfig873
09-23-2001, 10:41 AM
They Might Be Giants brand new album, Mink Car. God its got some great songs on it! Plus it has a nice techno feel. Gives me alot of energy...then of course I have Moby's Play. So..I have a full afternoon already.

evenflow
09-23-2001, 10:44 AM
This is what is in my CD changer in my car:

CD 1: ill Nino
CD 2: 40 Below Summer
CD 3: System of a Down - Toxicity
CD 4: Rammstein - Mutter
CD 5: Type O Negative
CD 6: POD - Alive
CD 7: Tool

bigbarada
09-23-2001, 12:54 PM
Starfig, can you recommend some TMBG songs? I've been hearing about them for years now, but for some reason never really tried them out. I'll probably download a few songs from audiogalaxy before I commit to buying an album though.

Tool, another great band I'd forgotten about. I've also listened to Disturbed and Slipknot, but they're a little too hardcore for me right now.

I listen to a lot of Enya, Lorenna McKennit, and Dead Can Dance when I in the mood for something a little soft and relaxing.

Also, can't forget the soundtrack masters: John Williams, James Horner, Hans Zimmer and Geinoh Yamashirogumi (Akira).

Mike Troxell
09-23-2001, 02:15 PM
Besides the normal film score music, of which I have too many different artists to list (although Elfman, Williams, Zimmer, and Badalamenti are my favorites), I have been listening to Badly Drawn Boy, Seven Mary Three, Everclear, and...GASP...classical music.

I am the hippest 16 year old I know. :rolleyes:

Jedi Clint
09-23-2001, 05:50 PM
I have been listening to the newly released B-Sides. Which album were you listening to Fulit?

B-sides?
Trompe?
Surfer?
Boss?
Doolittle?
C.O.P.?

Fulit
09-23-2001, 06:08 PM
Trompe Le Monde is in my car, and Bossanova sits near the computer's CD player at all times. I didn't know anything about a new B-Sides album, I'll have to go check that out.

Jedi Clint
09-23-2001, 06:09 PM
It's awesome! It is cdrom interactive, and contains 2 videos as well!

Fulit
09-23-2001, 06:10 PM
Oh, geez, I gotta go get it like right now! How much does it cost?

Jedi Clint
09-23-2001, 06:18 PM
Here is the link.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000056Q1P/qid=1001283355/sr=1-12/ref=sr_1_3_12/002-4751404-9936045

Starfig873
09-23-2001, 08:17 PM
BB I'd be happy to!

Some of my favorites are:
Particle Man
Man, It's So Loud In Here
Istanbul (Not Constantinople)
My Man
Whistling in the Dark
I'm Finished with Lies
My Evil Twin
Another First Kiss
Women & Men

Those are some of my favorites, they all have odd lyrics but great music. I hope you like them!

:D

bigbarada
09-23-2001, 08:39 PM
Thanks Starfig!!:cool:

BTW, does 873 mean something, or are there really 872 other Starfigs out there?;)

Starfig873
09-23-2001, 08:57 PM
lol! No, I'm no clone. ;)

873 is just a random set of numbers that came along with my screen name :p

El Chuxter
09-24-2001, 12:07 PM
This one's for bigbarada:

Istanbul was Constantinople
Now it's Istanbul, not Constantinople
So if you have a date in Constantinople
She'll be waiting in Istanbul
Just buy a TMBG album called Flood--it's the best starting point. :D

What do I listen to? A weird mess of stuff. Lately I've been listening to Bob Dylan's new album, John Williams, Danny Elfman, AC-DC, Tori Amos, Aerosmith, U2, Johnny Cash, and Frank Zappa. Can't forget Zappa!

bigbarada
09-24-2001, 02:06 PM
I downloaded a whole bunch of TMBG songs last night and found one called Star Wars Cantina. Funny stuff! It's sung to the tune of Copa-Cavana. Sing along...

His name was Yoda, he was a Muppet
Darth Vader was so bad, and by the way he's Luke's dad
Luke kissed his sister, his hand got cut off
In that galaxy far, far away, Luke's has had a lousy day
Boba Fett was so mean
Jabba had bad hygeine
Why didn't they all just relax back on Tatooine?

At the Star Wars...Star Wars Cantina
The wierdest creatures you've ever seen-a
At the Star Wars...Star Wars Cantina
Music and blasters and old Jedi Masters
At the Star Wars...

:D

Obi-Dan Kenobi
09-24-2001, 10:35 PM
The "Star Wars Cantina" song is a parody by someone whose name I can't recall. It's not by TMBG. Darn funny, though.

Flood is probably the best place to start. Lincoln has some great songs too. Download "Purple Toupee" if you can find it. That's one of my favorites.

I've been listening to hte last U2 album (which has taken on a new relevance, at least for me, in light of recent events) the Pixies' Trompe Le Monde, (for the record, Surfer Rosa is my personal favorite), Elvis Costello's My Aim Is True, and the Ramones' Rocket to Russia. Also, the Simpletons' Method For Passion. They are a local band I'm friends with, who are getting a lot of recognition in Cincy lately. I bought an Apples in Stereo album at a show here in town a few weeks ago, but I haven't listened to it yet.

bigbarada
09-24-2001, 11:01 PM
Originally posted by Obi-Dan Kenobi
The "Star Wars Cantina" song is a parody by someone whose name I can't recall. It's not by TMBG. Darn funny, though.

It's probably just a cover then, cuz the file definitely says it was at least sung by TMBG if not written by them. Thanks for the other suggestions though!:cool:

Emperor Howdy
09-25-2001, 01:48 AM
Hmmm...in my car:

Chris Cornell: Euphoria Morning
Soundgarden: BadMotorFinger/A-Sides
T.O.N.: October Rust
My band! :D

at home:

Pantera: Cowboys From Hell in the CD player
Zeppelin: Physical Graffitti in the tape player

GNT
09-25-2001, 02:36 AM
Originally posted by Obi-Don
Lately I was listening to ENYA but I jump around alot with different types from hard rock to soft.

Does Enya have any more songs,It seems like she has done that song forever! Its the only song that calms me down :) Pianos rock :p

JEDIpartner
09-25-2001, 09:42 AM
Well... I am a pretty messed up dude as you will soon see...

Today I am listening to:

1) Brak- presents The Brak Album starring Brak
2) New Order- Technique
3) Madonna- Music
4) OST- Raiders of the Lost Ark
5) matchboxtwenty- mad season
6) Kylie Minogue- Light Years
7) CSN- Daylight Again

El Chuxter
09-25-2001, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by JEDIpartnr
Today I am listening to:

1) Brak- presents The Brak Album starring Brak

So that means at least two copies were sold! :D Not as good as Space Ghost's Musical Barbecue or Space Ghost's Surf n Turf, but a classic nonetheless.

BB, I'm not sure where you downloaded that song from, but almost every humor song I've seen online is attributed wrongly to Weird Al or TMBG.

bigbarada
09-25-2001, 02:53 PM
I got the song from audiogalaxy.com it was in the TMBG music section. Just go there and do a search for They Might Be Giants and it'll bring up many, many pages of songs (I stopped going through them after page 31). I really don't know, I just heard this band for the first time the other day so go check it out for yourself. Regardless who sung it, it's a pretty funny song.

Starfig873
09-25-2001, 04:01 PM
Flood is a great album! Birdhouse in you Soul is my favorite by far!

Apollo 18 is another good TMBG's album.

"I'm having a heart attack, I'm having a...heart attack..."

Hee hee hee! :D

Obi-Dan Kenobi
09-25-2001, 04:47 PM
They Might Be Giants do play "Stump the Band" at their concerts, asking for suggestions for covers from the audience and then playing the song right there on the spot. So maybe that's what you have, bigbarada. But I wouldn't trust the file's name unless it came straight from the band's website or something. Audio Galaxy has a lot of songs attributed to the wrong band.

bigbarada
09-25-2001, 08:59 PM
I went back to audiogalaxy and did a search for the Star Wars Cantina song and the same exact song showed up as being performed by Wierd Al and Barry Manilow. I downloaded them both and it was the exact same song even the exact same filesize! Oh well, guess it solves that mystery.

BTW, Make a Little Birdhouse in your Soul and Fishheads are also very cool songs!:cool:

Obi-Dan Kenobi
09-26-2001, 12:37 AM
Uuuh...BigB, "Fish Heads" is a novelty song that appeared on a Dr. Demento album in the eighties. Also not TMBG.;)

bigbarada
09-26-2001, 08:58 AM
Originally posted by Obi-Dan Kenobi
Uuuh...BigB, "Fish Heads" is a novelty song that appeared on a Dr. Demento album in the eighties. Also not TMBG.;)

Damn you, Audiogalaxy!!!!

bigbarada
09-29-2001, 04:00 PM
A friend of mine introduced me to Tom Waits yesterday. Truly amazing stuff!! He's one of those musicians who never really achieves major fame, but who inspires scores of more successful artists.

Jargo
09-29-2001, 05:02 PM
yeah, he's just so left field. In a class of his own and a world of his own. Deep respect for the man though for that duet album he did with Crystal ***le (sp?) 'This one's from the heart' which was a movie soundtrack to a film by someone like Martin Scorsese or whoever. Ignoring that one, the rest of his catalog is pretty impressive. Frank's wild years is a truly awesome album of hard gritty musing in a semi musical way. Although I prefer his earlier albums.
My fav album at the moment is Travis: 'The invisible band'. gentle and lyrical but with a nice edge that keeps you listening even when it becomes quite melancholy. It's not as good as the first album 'The man who' which just sounds like audio heaven to me but I'm giving this latest one time to grow on me properly.

Update: the system has auto edited crystals surname which is just ludicrous censorship IMO. I'm all for keeping a line that isn't crossed but this is just stupid when you can't even type an innoccuous word without wondering if it's gonna be auto edited. Stoopid stoopid stoopid! :mad:

Obi-Dan Kenobi
10-01-2001, 01:37 AM
Yeah, Waits is truly unbelievable. Many, many great songwriters (Ani Difranco and Bruce Springsteen come to mind) bow to him, and so do I. Frank's Wild Years is a good recommendation, and I would also check out, Rain Dogs, Blue Valentine, Heart of Saturday Night, and Mule Variations. I could go on and on, the man has some not-so-good albums, but even those have something interesting on them.

And Travis is great! I would never call them my favorite band or anything, but The Man Who (actually their second album; their first is called Good Feeling, and is just kinda so-so) is a beautiful piece of pop songwriting. Great live band, too. I saw them last year and plan to see them again soon, when they come back to Cincy!

Lobito
10-01-2001, 07:13 PM
The 80's, early 90's classic CD'S (Def Leppard, Bon Jovi, Guns, U2, Depeche Mode, The Cure, Erasure, Duran Duran, Pet Shop Boys, Asia, When in Rome, Journey, Meat Loaf, Metallica, Skid Row, The Cran Berries and Van Halen) some spanish stuff that i dont think any of u have heard b4. Techno music (Euro house compilations) and some soundtracks...the Rocky story, Streets of fire, 200 cigarettes, St. Elmos fire, etc.

ThomasLane
10-01-2001, 07:20 PM
Raiders of the Lost Ark and Star Wars soundtracks, of course! Also, Iron Maiden, Bruce Dickinson, Eagles, Don McLean, Barney (Yeah, the purple dinosaur! He keeps the kids quiet while we're in the car).

bigbarada
10-01-2001, 10:48 PM
Obi-Dan Kenobi, Mule Variations is the album I've been listening to and I just can't stop playing it! It's incredible! You're the second person to recommend Frank's Wild Years, so I'll check that one out next.

Another musician I really admire, Johnny Cash, truly legendary man and probably the only 'country' artist I listen to. Listen to his song "Man in Black" and you'll realize why this man deserves respect.

Oh yeah, can't forget the shredders: Joe Satriani, Yngwie Malmsteen, Steve Vai, Eric Johnson, Marty Friedman and Jason Becker. Eric Johnson's song "Cliffs of Dover" is one of my all time favorites.:cool:

vulcantouch
10-02-2001, 12:46 PM
. . . a filmmusic forum (http://www.filmscoremonthly.com/cgi-bin/ubbcgi/forumdisplay.cgi?action=topics&forum=General+Discussion&number=1&DaysPrune=45&LastLogin=) i used to contribute to. it's called "now playing". how it works is, at the bottom of your post you type "np", followed by what you're listening to at this moment. for example:
np: four tops, "ain't no woman like the one i got" :cool:
vt

Jargo
10-02-2001, 04:46 PM
I always wondered why you did that. I used to do a similar thing when I used snail mail to talk to folk across the other side of the world.

np=Skunk Anansie 'charity'.

2-1B
08-31-2007, 12:32 AM
I've been listening to alot of Three Days Grace lately. I love their stuff.

Rocketboy
08-31-2007, 12:56 AM
Rotating in and out of the cd player in the car:
Velvet Revolver - Libertad
Jim Gaffigan - Beyond The Pale
Patton Oswalt - Lollipops and Werewolves
KT Tunstall - whatever the name of her album is

TeeEye7
08-31-2007, 01:56 AM
A friend of mine introduced me to Tom Waits yesterday. Truly amazing stuff!! He's one of those musicians who never really achieves major fame, but who inspires scores of more successful artists.

Waits also played a good Renfield in Bram Stoker's Dracula back in 1992. A versitile kind of guy with music and acting to his credit.

El Chuxter
08-31-2007, 02:38 AM
He also played Dr Heller in the grossly underappreciated Mystery Men.

TeeEye7
08-31-2007, 03:20 AM
He also played Dr Heller in the grossly underappreciated Mystery Men.

I've never seen Mystery Men. I'll have to put that on the ol' Netflix queue. Thanks for the "heads-up", Chux.

El Chuxter
08-31-2007, 03:26 AM
It's a dark comedy. Very dark. Dark comedies tend to not be as successful as they should be. Great spoof of the too-serious superhero movies of the 1990s, and a lot funnier than the comic it's based on.

Dr Heller specializes in weapon design and chicken rentals.

Rocketboy
08-31-2007, 10:03 AM
It's a dark comedy. Very dark. Dark comedies tend to not be as successful as they should be. Great spoof of the too-serious superhero movies of the 1990s, and a lot funnier than the comic it's based on.That comic must have really been bad if the movie was funnier.

El Chuxter
08-31-2007, 02:39 PM
Not that I'm agreeing with you on your totally mistaken opinion of the movie, but, yeah, the comic sucked more than Slicker's Mom at a swinger's convention.

2-1B
08-31-2007, 11:19 PM
I've never seen Mystery Men. I'll have to put that on the ol' Netflix queue. Thanks for the "heads-up", Chux.

Save your precious time !!! :D :D :D

Rocketboy
09-01-2007, 12:01 AM
Not that I'm agreeing with you on your totally mistaken opinion of the movie, but, yeah, the comic sucked more than Slicker's Mom at a swinger's convention.Maybe they should get Whedon to revive it and make it good.

El Chuxter
09-01-2007, 12:03 AM
I don't think it was so bad that Whedon couldn't bugger it up some more.