PDA

View Full Version : Forum posting messing up amnesty/Annoynoumous

scruffziller
06-08-2002, 12:25 PM
This for all the folks here who have been doing there best to try to use what time they have, to try to keep the forum going smooth like the moderators want us to. And feeling somewhat down when they miss a forum that is there and then their post is moved and usually getting somewhat a remark from what of the moderators(no offense to the moderators in any way.) I have since learned to use the searches effectively. Sometimes I get in a hurry trying to make a post or thought a forum had been closed, and put it on anyway. So bring your shoulders so we can cry on them and give some tips and/or experiences on the adventures of keeping this AWESOME forum site in order.

Exhaust Port
06-08-2002, 01:18 PM
It can be tough sometimes to properly place a thread with there being so many different categories. The majority of the moved threads seem to be of this sort. Good ideas in the "wrong" category.

Jargo
06-08-2002, 02:58 PM
It's also difficult when a conversation gets off topic and the original intent of the topic gets forgotten. Sometimes this leads to a thread being moved when it needn't be. Also there are occasions when something spirals out of hand and the whole thread is deleted rather than the offending posts. Or sometimes the thread gets closed. before the person who typed the offending post that got the thread closed could edit out the offensive remark/link/material themselves.
I find that the 24 hour window allowed for editing is a little short. I get bumped off regularly by my ISP and sometimes can't get back here to edit things I may have said in haste out of my posts. I'm quite opinionated and sometimes that gets the better of me temporarily, but then I'll think on it and edit out anything I see as unfit myself. But if a moderator gets there first they'll just delete the whole thing leading to confusion in a thread. And if threads get merged then it throws the continuity out. Replies don't make sense with the dated insertions from another thread. It gets a little bit like reading smudged print newspaper - baffling.

The strangest thing that ever happened to me was posting in a thread as it was moved and ending up in a totally different section than when I started to reply.

But one of the most irritating bad habits I see is when people post a second message that is really part of their previous one, they just thought of something after posting the first time and made a new post for that thought instead of using the edit button to change the first post. The edit feature is a wonderful tool.

scruffziller
06-08-2002, 04:59 PM
Or they could be doing that to get a higher ranking to Jedi Master etc., I am trying not to do that, but Jargo you are IMPRESIVE.......MOST IMPRESSIVE. You have over 2,000 posts and they are rather lengthy!!

bigbarada
06-08-2002, 06:47 PM
Sometimes I will come up with an idea just after hitting the submit button and instead of waiting for several minutes for the edit post screen to come up, I'll take advantage of the quick reply and post again. Just saves time on my part.

Usually I have several ideas for threads rolling around in my mind, however, I like to give them a couple days to stew. This helps weed out the pointless or useless thread topics. I will then try to play out a scenario in my mind as to how the discussion of the topic I brought up might go. Most of the time the thread ideas will just sit in my mind for months before I post them. Most of the time I simply wait too long, lose interest and forget them.

Which is why I don't really have that many new threads under my belt.

JediTricks
06-09-2002, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by EMPEROR JARGO
Or sometimes the thread gets closed. before the person who typed the offending post that got the thread closed could edit out the offensive remark/link/material themselves.
I find that the 24 hour window allowed for editing is a little short. I get bumped off regularly by my ISP and sometimes can't get back here to edit things I may have said in haste out of my posts. I'm quite opinionated and sometimes that gets the better of me temporarily, but then I'll think on it and edit out anything I see as unfit myself. But if a moderator gets there first they'll just delete the whole thing leading to confusion in a thread. And if threads get merged then it throws the continuity out. I've heard this one before and the reason it doesn't work as an update to the forum guidelines is because it assumes that the intentions of the poster are more important than keeping their actual deeds from getting the site in trouble with internet watchdog groups for having inappropriate materials on it which can lead to the whole forums being closed and/or wiped clean.

While your intent to come back within 24 hours and edit out something you said in haste is admirable, the problem is that there is a time period between your original post and your hindsight kicking in where other forumites can read your hasty words - some of these forumites are minors who shouldn't be exposed to some of the more "salty" language some folks post on the boards and some of these minors are using computers that tell mom and dad or even said watchdog groups what's going on in the minor's computer and where it came from. Since SSG cannot control what you post and cannot tell if you ever plan on changing your mind about a hasty heated salty post, we moderators have a very specific action we have to take to keep the site from getting in trouble.

Remember that you have the "preview post" button to fall back on if you find yourself posting a lot of stuff that needs editing, you can save yourself and others in your thread a lot of frustration simply by giving your post the once-over BEFORE committing it to public view.

Ultimately, it comes down to this: you are just as responsible for your words when they are first publicly posted as when you finally edit them.

The majority of posts are not a problem at all, and the majority of moderator actions are smooth enough that few folks know about them. With the high number of forumites posting every day, there are bound to be some moderator actions that not everybody will agree upon, but unless something has changed drastically that I don't know about, these actions are still done following the guidelines SirSteve has given to us. We try to be forgiving, generous, and as unintrusive as possible, but sometimes these qualities are hinderances to keeping the forums running. Just because an action might bother one of you doesn't mean it's not for the good of the forum community as a whole.

If you see what you believe to be abuses of a forum by moderator-action, whether you believe it's done on purpose or by accident, please feel free to contact either myself or SirSteve about the problem with as much information about the issue as you can supply (including thread or even post links is ESPECIALLY important and helpful when contacting us).
Me (JT): jeditricks@sirstevesguide.com
SirSteve: sirsteve@sirstevesguide.com

Jargo
06-10-2002, 07:45 PM
Why do I get the feeling I've just been right royally rollocked? I take your point about the previewing of posts but in my experience it doesn't work. The preview function has only ever taken me to a page informing me of some error or other so i never bother with it anymore as that error page technically deletes anything you typed so when you hit the back button you have to start over. In the case of a long post that's inconvenient and time consuming on a dial up modem. More often than not I'll use the quick reply feature to rough out and then post, then I'll hit the edit button if the post strikes me as being a tad OTT when i can see it as otthers do.

If by your response you're saying you have a problem with how I use the forums then you should speak to me as face to face as possible via the net. Not respond with cryptic wrist slapping. As general as your response was to all the foumites, I can't help but feel that as you responded to my post and quoted me that you do indeed have a problem with me. Which is sad and unfortunate.

bigbarada
06-11-2002, 06:11 AM
The simple solution would be to add the "Preview Post" function to the "Quick Reply" option as well; but I don't think that would solve the whole problem.

scruffziller
06-11-2002, 07:18 PM
Why do I get the feeling I've just been right royally rollocked? I take your point about the previewing of posts but in my experience it doesn't work. The preview function has only ever taken me to a page informing me of some error or other so i never bother with it anymore as that error page technically deletes anything you typed so when you hit the back button you have to start over. In the case of a long post that's inconvenient and time consuming on a dial up modem. More often than not I'll use the quick reply feature to rough out and then post, then I'll hit the edit button if the post strikes me as being a tad OTT when i can see it as otthers do.

If by your response you're saying you have a problem with how I use the forums then you should speak to me as face to face as possible via the net. Not respond with cryptic wrist slapping. As general as your response was to all the foumites, I can't help but feel that as you responded to my post and quoted me that you do indeed have a problem with me. Which is sad and unfortunate.
since you have a dial up modem and have some trouble getting knocked off you could write your posts on a word processing form first then paste them.

JediTricks
06-11-2002, 07:33 PM
Why do I get the feeling I've just been right royally rollocked?
- Err... what's "rollocked"? If it's similar to "being b.s.-ed" or "being given the run-around", then no, I was honestly trying to address the concerns here as best as possible. I was also really trying to address everybody even though I was replying to your comments.

I take your point about the previewing of posts but in my experience it doesn't work. The preview function has only ever taken me to a page informing me of some error or other so i never bother with it anymore as that error page technically deletes anything you typed so when you hit the back button you have to start over. In the case of a long post that's inconvenient and time consuming on a dial up modem. More often than not I'll use the quick reply feature to rough out and then post, then I'll hit the edit button if the post strikes me as being a tad OTT when i can see it as otthers do.
- Well, I dunno why Preview Post doesn't work for you, I use it all the time and NEVER get errors, but I know too that if you DO get an error, it will wipe out your post so that's obviously no good for you. However, unless others are having that same problem and I don't know about it, that's not a viable excuse for them. ;) In either event, the 24-hour-edit-window shouldn't be an issue since you're saying that you go back in and edit right away. Anything over a few minutes will probably get seen by a lot readers, so obviously some things cannot wait that long, but we moderators try to be as careful about such things as possible.

-If I had a problem with you Jargo, I would have PMed you about it long ago (and have done so in the past on those rare occasions where it was neccessary, so you should already know this isn't the case). You guys brought this up, I was replying to your concerns, not calling you on the carpet. I didn't come here to admonish anybody, I simply quoted the post that covered the most ground in this thread that I could reply to and tried to explain the moderator side of things.

Jargo
06-12-2002, 01:30 PM
Ya just touched a nerve is all. I'm only human. To be human is to err so I'm told. Aint no-one infallible, not no way not no how. :)

JediTricks
06-12-2002, 04:17 PM
Ok, but what was "rollocked"? :confused: :D

scruffziller
06-13-2002, 11:48 PM
Originally posted by JediTricks
Ok, but what was "rollocked"? :confused: :D
One thing I am thankful for is that we can express our words with emotions with the faces:D It allows us to discuss things properly. Like the question here may be intrepeted as sarcastic but because we can add the big grin we can let them know were just joking around.:happy: Still though I haven't seen anyone use the pirate:Pirate: for anything yet Anyone got any suggestions?

2-1B
06-14-2002, 08:51 PM
Scalper :Pirate:

Jargo
06-14-2002, 09:09 PM
Rollocked is slang for being chastised severely you havt to substitute the R for another letter to get what it really is but I'm not allowed to say it. Being right royally rollocked is a super duper chastisement. Akin to being verbally lashed with a hypothetical cane or belt or birch branch or ruler or slipper. :)

JediTricks
06-15-2002, 03:01 AM
Again, I feel like a dope, perhaps UK slang is so foreign to me that I don't know what you're talking about. Did I miss a non-US dirty word and not even know it? What's the letter?

Jargo
06-15-2002, 08:04 AM
B. testes, maybe rollocks with a B isn't considered a bad expression over there. Over here it's just not polite to shout it out. Polite society would as I did use chastisement or chided instead. It's just funnier to use the slang.

Forget I spoke. I'll send you a slang dictionary JT so you can catch up on the last two hundred years of language development. ;) :p J/K

Actually ninety percent of slang comes from sixteenth century England or North America over the last fifty odd years. You guys are responsible for so much y'know, A mere slip of a country still wet behind the ears and yet you corrupt so easily. America is a bad influence, I don't want my country playing with that riff raff anymore....... :crazed::D

JediTricks
06-16-2002, 04:14 PM
Ah! It was the past-tense verb-ing you did to it that threw me. I knew it'd be a translatory issue, what with you speaking English and me speaking "American". ;)