PDA

View Full Version : World Cup 2002

Jek Porky 2002
06-08-2002, 01:25 PM
I know that alot of you Americans probably don't even know that the Football (Soccer) world cup even exists but it is probably the biggest sporting event in the world, anyway I would just like to say good luck to England, Republic Of Ireland, and U.S.A, who actually suprisingly beat portugal 3-2 last week.

P.S It's football, not soccer, it actually touches the foot more than the ball in American football!

QLD
06-08-2002, 01:38 PM
Are we going to start a football vs soccer debate?

I could care less about soccer really, but I do hope the US team does well. One think I think that hurts soccer in Americans eyes, is all of the riots. It's not just in one country, it's in every one. That is just plain silly. I tried playing soccer when I was a kid and I just didn't really enjoy it. It went against my natural instincts of trying to pick up the ball. I like football much more than soccer, because I really like the full contact aspect of it, more so than the getting kicked in the shin constantly part I experienced in soccer.

Now, don't get me wrong. I have nothing agaisnt soccer. In fact, I appreciate it. Especially womens soccer. There are some hot chicks who play soccer. Especially when they take their shirts off after winning. :D And I think it would make more sense for us to refer to soccer as football. However, it will never happen, because football is too popular here, and most likely always will be. But I believe that the term football derived from the early versions of the game, where most of the scoring was done by the kicking aspect of it. The game has sure changed a lot. Though I think by average, about half of a teams scores are made by field goals.

Jek Porky 2002
06-08-2002, 02:01 PM
No I dont want to start a soccer vs. footbal debate I just want to get a feel of the American view toward football (soccer). I very strongly agree about the riots though, and its not alot of countries, it's just one, England, and I find it embarrasing, these thugs are giving our country a bad name. However it has calmed down alot since the 70's but you still get the odd group of idiots showing us up.

QLD
06-08-2002, 02:54 PM
I have seen footage of a lot of riots in Ireland, New Zealand, Colombia, Puerto Rico, as well as many other countries. I know it's a small majority of the fans that start that sort of thing, but a lot of Americans tend to group them all together.

Exhaust Port
06-08-2002, 03:01 PM
If I catch a match on TV I ususally sit down and watch it. It's nice to see the USA win a game this time compared to the last WC. I'm keeping those fingers crossed for the rest of the first round.

I think the reason that soccer hasn't exploded over here due to the amount of sports we have to fill our year. Pro-Football, College Football, Pro Basketball (men's and now womens), College Basketball, Baseball (with an incredably long season), Hockey and maybe even Golf. This doesn't include the whole car racing thing. NASCAR has exploded in popularity over the last 5 years as well as CART.

We have pro-soccer now which kicked off about 10 years ago and it's been a really rocky road for that. It seems to have found a following but it hasn't reached the numbers necessary for it to become popular. I can count on one hand the number of times I've seen a match on TV this year. Of course I don't go out of my way to find it.

Personally I don't have time to devote to learning about another sports players/teams/season/etc. I just focus on College Football. Go Buckeyes!

2-1B
06-08-2002, 03:28 PM
I have no interest in soccer (or NASCAR) and even though the WC is only every 4 years it sure seems more frequent!
The rioting, while disgusting, doesn't jump out at me, we have plenty of disgusting behavior right here in the states.
Jek, there's my American perspective, I don't want to totally trash Soccer/Footbal/Fussball or anything, just sharing my noninterest with ya. :)

edit: for reference, my favorite sport by far is NFL football.

QLD
06-08-2002, 04:11 PM
Yeah, I can honestly say I would much rather watch soccer than NASCAR. AT least soccer is actually a sport.

Exhaust Port
06-08-2002, 10:41 PM
I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a return of World League Football. San Antonio Spurs, Columbus Glory, NY/NJ Knights. Man those were the days. Of course the European teams survived as I watched the Rhine Fire play today. It's amazing how often you think "I remember when that guy use to play for _______."

JediTricks
06-09-2002, 08:40 PM
Headline on CNN.com just now: One dies in Russian soccer riot (http://www.cnn.com/2002/WORLD/worldcup/06/09/russia.death/index.html)

Just an interesting title I saw while skimming the site for something else.

Personally, I find soccer to be a bit boring to play, so watching it is just right out. I'd rather play basketball, football, tennis, even BASEBALL than soccer, so that says a lot about why I personally don't watch it. (especially when you take into consideration that I find playing/watching baseball to be SOOOOOOOOOOO boring.)

QLD
06-10-2002, 10:53 AM
Yeah, I used to LOVE baseball as a kid. But I constantly find my love of it decreasing every year. I can't remember the last time I watched a whole game. Well, usually I do around playoff time when the Braves are playing, but man, it is rough.

Soccer is hard to watch until someone scores and the guy says....

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO........*gasp* OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

stormie
06-10-2002, 11:53 AM
World Cup rocks! Unfortunately, none of the games seem to be televised at times when I can watch. They did replay the England/Argentina match on Saturday (oh, like 3 days after it was played), so I did get to see a little.

I agree, the U.S. interest in the sport is just not there. The MLS is very nearly awful, and the competition from other sports here is heavy. Saturday I had a choice between watching the Giants vs. Yankees live or the England vs. Argentina 3-days-old match. Um, no competition...Giants won. :D

p.s.- it's soccer in the U.S., just like it's aluminum and color in the U.S., instead of aluminium and colour elsewhere! ;)

Jek Porky 2002
06-10-2002, 01:22 PM
There's alot of sport over here aswell, Football, Cricket, Rugby, Tennis, Basketball, Hocky.

You have to admit though, it is only America that doesn't like it and it is the biggest sport in the world and biggest money making sport in the world.

Today's result South Korea 1-1 U.S.A

Just out of interest do any of you Americans know any footballers names or is it compltely un heard of?

QLD
06-10-2002, 01:42 PM
Ummm....I know who Pele' is. And Tony Meola. And Mia Hamm. And Brandy Chastain :D

ANd there was the white American guy who had the real big affro. That's about it for me!

Mandalorian Candidat
06-10-2002, 02:12 PM
I was in Brazil during the 1990 cup in Italy. I could of cared less about soccer up to that point, but those people eat it up and ask for thirds. Heck, everything was painted blue, green, and yellow. And the streets were quiet during the games, except when Brazil would score. Then everyone would let loose and set off fireworks for like 10 minutes.

I remember when they lost to Argentina by one goal. I got on a bus and the radio was playing "Don't Cry For Me Argentina." :D Pretty funny I thought.

I'm probably into it more than most Americans, which means I'll watch a game for 5 minutes instead of changing the channel immediately.

I pick either Brazil or Argentina to take this one. The US'll be out in the second round probably.

But let's get back to a more interesting topic...NHL and NBA playoffs.

How 'bout them Lakers?

QLD
06-10-2002, 02:38 PM
I try not to think about the Lakers.

How 'bout them Hawks? :D

pthfnder89
06-10-2002, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by Jek Porky 2002
No I dont want to start a soccer vs. footbal debate I just want to get a feel of the American view toward football (soccer). I very strongly agree about the riots though, and its not alot of countries, it's just one, England, and I find it embarrasing, these thugs are giving our country a bad name. However it has calmed down alot since the 70's but you still get the odd group of idiots showing us up.

I was noticing during a match the other day how amazingly calm and clean the current Japan/Korea Wolrd Cup is. No one would even think about rioting there, it's very well controlled.

I'm American, but my whole family is very interested in soccer, and always has been. My older brother is the real fanatic, he keeps a close eye on the current matches on the Internet all day at work, and stays up to see as many of the live matches as he can.

I really love the sport, and it's so interesting because there really isn't a direct comparison in America, where the players have to use their whole body in such a graceful way. I also can't understand anyone who says that soccer is boring to watch but baseball and basketball aren't :confused: :confused: :confused:

I love playing both baseball and basketball, but those are two of the most yawn-inducing spectator sports ever made. (not as much as golf but then again, nothing is;))

stormie
06-10-2002, 05:22 PM
You have to admit though, it is only America that doesn't like it and it is the biggest sport in the world and biggest money making sport in the world.

Just out of interest do any of you Americans know any footballers names or is it compltely un heard of?

I wouldn't say the U.S. doesn't like soccer, we just aren't exposed to it like the rest of the world. The sports stations don't cover it at all. And only money can gain exposure. The sport does make a ton of money in the world market, but not in the U.S., and that's pretty much why it hasn't gained in popularity here. The MLS can't afford to get the big international players, so the quality of play suffers. It's like the minor leagues of world soccer. Still, a few matches I've seen have been decent.

As far as naming the players...International or U.S./MLS? Like I said, the U.S. isn't exposed to the international clubs much at all, but, well, there's Beckham and Owen for England, Henry and Zidane for France, Ronaldo from Brazil, Figo from Portugal, etc. and, of course Cobi Jones, Friedel, Pope, Agoos, and Donovan from the U.S. (the last two play for the local MLS club). Don't lose faith in the U.S. yet, some of us actually like soccer! :)

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
06-11-2002, 12:37 AM
One thing that turns me off to the sport of soccer happens seemingly almost everytime there is a scramble or a dive for a loose ball. What will happen is two or three players will jump up in the air to try to retrieve the ball. One of the players is slightly grazed by another player, and I mean slightly nicked. What will happen is that player hit will fall down like a ton of bricks and sit on the grass for seconds, as if he was shot in mid air. If no card or foul is called he then whines like a little girl to the referee, his apparent injury compeltely healed. This seems to happen constantly.

I apprecitate toughness in a sport. Give me American football or hockey anyday.

Another reason that the sport maybe isn't as popular is, let's face it, the sport can be boring. Look at hockey. Scoring is down, there have been plenty of 2-1, 1-0 games the past couple of years. One of the reasons why the sport is hard pressed to get good ratings is because these low scoring games can get boring. People want to see superstars lighting the lamp. When I watch soccer, it is like exactly as I stated above. Yes, I know the whole world appreciates it, but Americans maybe don't have the patience to watch the game.

Exhaust Port
06-11-2002, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by Lowly Bantha Cleaner
One thing that turns me off to the sport of soccer happens seemingly almost everytime there is a scramble or a dive for a loose ball. What will happen is two or three players will jump up in the air to try to retrieve the ball. One of the players is slightly grazed by another player, and I mean slightly nicked. What will happen is that player hit will fall down like a ton of bricks and sit on the grass for seconds, as if he was shot in mid air. If no card or foul is called he then whines like a little girl to the referee, his apparent injury compeltely healed. This seems to happen constantly.

This is what bugs me about basketball too.

Mandalorian Candidat
06-11-2002, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by Lowly Bantha Cleaner

Obviously you've never seen Vlade Divac or Karl Malone play hoops. ;)

I think FIFA is trying to clamp down on that behavior. One of the Brazilian players faked something like that in a game and got fined $7K.

You never see that happen in hockey. One of the Hurricanes players got jacked up last night with an intentional high stick to the mouth, but no penalty was called due to the ref looking elsewhere. The player didn't complain; he just sucked it up probably formulating his revenge for another time.

stormie
06-11-2002, 11:42 AM
You do see "acting" in regular-season hockey. Plus hockey (regular-season) has all those inane fights over anything. Combine that with lack of offense, and regular-season hockey blows almost as much as the MLS! Now, playoff hockey...that's what hockey should be like! Just like how the MLS games should try to live up to the intensity of World Cup matches...even just a little! :D

Mandalorian Candidat
06-11-2002, 02:10 PM
There's no comparison to even regular-season hockey and the World Cup. I'd rather watch the Lightning play the Wild than watch a soccer game. The level of intensity and physical play don't even compare.

About the whole acting thing, sure it happens in hockey just not with the frequency you see in b-ball or soccer. Sure someone will exaggerate a little bump every now and again, but it's usually payback the players are after and not whining to the ref. In soccer they have to roll around, cry, and start asking for the last rites before they realize the ref will just pass them by. :)

Vortex
06-11-2002, 02:29 PM
I love sports as much as the next guy, cept golf, NASCAR & basketball. These items bore me to tears.

I enjoy playing soccer and hockey, watching baseball and hockey during the playoffs, and I'm a big supporter/follower of the Glasgow Rangers, the Grasshoppers (lets see who else knows this team) and my MN Wild, and U of Minnesota Golden Gopher hockey team.

But I think all the acting, the dives, the cry babes, and multi-million dollar stadiums, huge pay checks, and endorsements are wrecking all the sports. Every sporting event is turning into one large product endorsement and a business. Count how many nike swooshes you see on tiger woods on a sunday, or on randy moss, or mj. Its no longer just an athletic competition like it was intended to be.

Players no longer have loyalities to their teams, teams don't have loyalities to the players, and all these owners belly-aching about profits, and moving teams is just garbage. I don't care who you are, no one is worth 120 Million for 5 or more seasons. No on is worth this much, and they don't greatly impact the world around them or add major contributions to society, but yet, they command a high price...and after a short period of time are forgotten by most.

And I'm not big on the Yankee's, Red Wings, Manchester United Red Devels, and even my own Glasgow Rangers, buying or trying to buy a championship with "all-star" players. Its no longer fun to watch when you know the outcome in advance.

I think the sporting world needs a major overhaul, might not approve of the massive dollars the vikes or twins might shell out for some superstar, or pay more taxes to build a team a home when the owners won't spend a dime on the team, but I'll keep cheering till the day I die.

JediTricks
06-11-2002, 07:48 PM
Perhaps only in the US do mothers and fathers say to their children "just because all your friends jump off a bridge, does that mean you have to as well?!?" ;) :D

Originally posted by pthfnder89
...it's so interesting because there really isn't a direct comparison in America, where the players have to use their whole body in such a graceful way. I also can't understand anyone who says that soccer is boring to watch but baseball and basketball aren't :confused: :confused: :confused:
I've always thought that hockey is somewhat similar to soccer, similar playing field, similar goals, similar player roles, and a similar lack of scoring - but I've never really enjoyed hockey much either.

As for basketball being boring, it seems so NON-boring to me - it's fast, lots of scoring, and the rules and roles are all fairly simple.

And I'd like to defend basketball's honor in the claim that there are a lot of "actors" and that the fouled are all whiners; I've clotheslined my best friend during several pickup games at the high school gym (er... by accident... no really) and when he complained, there was a valid reason... luckily he didn't complain much or it would have been more clotheslining for him. ;) My point is that there are SOME valid complaints out there and a lot of fouls that get no calls OR complaints.

Anyway, it's all about personal tastes. I could play golf, but I could never be a spectator.

Jek Porky 2002
06-12-2002, 05:17 AM
Todays scores:
England 0-0 Nigeria
England are through!

Sweden 1-1 Argentina
Argentina (The favourites) Are out!

I can't wait til saturday, England v Denmark in the second round, I think I'll get all dressed up in my England shirt, and paint my face like a red Clone Trooper (or the Enland supporting clone trooper as I call them)!

By the way, U.S.A only need a to draw (or tie) against Poland and They're through also, easy!

QLD
06-12-2002, 09:35 AM
Does the world cup have a womens tournament? :D
Seriously though....

Vortex
06-12-2002, 09:45 AM
Sure does. US women are 1 of the world powers in that.

pthfnder89
06-12-2002, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by Mandalorian Candidat

Obviously you've never seen Vlade Divac or Karl Malone play hoops. ;)

I think FIFA is trying to clamp down on that behavior. One of the Brazilian players faked something like that in a game and got fined $7K.

Yeah, the refs this year are really cracking down on all the faking, although at this point, it's honestly almost as mcuh a part of the game as dribbling or heading. :D

And Kobe Byant is one of the worst whiners I have ever seen in professional sports. Yes he's obviously very talented but he's such an obnoxious punk I can't stand to watch him.

Mandalorian Candidat
06-12-2002, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by pthfnder89

Yeah, the refs this year are really cracking down on all the faking, although at this point, it's honestly almost as mcuh a part of the game as dribbling or heading. :D

And Kobe Byant is one of the worst whiners I have ever seen in professional sports. Yes he's obviously very talented but he's such an obnoxious punk I can't stand to watch him.

Really? I didn't think he was that bad. Of course I'm a Lakers fan so I don't see him that way. I'd put Chris Webber and Alan Iverson as chairmen of the NBA whining committee myself.

Anyways, back to soccer...

What's up with this year? We have South Korea and Japan on the cusp of advancing to the final rounds with France and Argentina being eliminated already!

It's a sign of the Apocalypse I tells ya'!

stormie
06-12-2002, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by Quite-Long Dong
Seriously though....

Definitely! In fact it was held in the U.S. back in 2000. I was even in the stands for the U.S. vs. Brazil semifinal match that year. U.S. won! :D

Mandalorian Candidat
06-12-2002, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by Quite-Long Dong
Seriously though....

Who could have forgotten the women's WC with Brandy Chastain flashing her mosquito bites? :D

QLD
06-12-2002, 04:25 PM
Brandy Chastain is hot. Mmmmmmmm....womens soccer.

snakeplkn
06-12-2002, 06:24 PM
If you don't like football (a.k.a. soccer), then I don't see the point in hanging around in this thread. It's uniquely American to go around dimissing something that the rest of the world holds in high esteem whether it be the World Cup, the United Nations, or tea.

And someone ALWAYS has to bring up the riots. Maybe because it's hard to keep order in over 180 nations as opposed to 30 or so American cities? How many times did Chicago's downtown get smashed after the Bulls won? Or who could forget Rick Reilly's account of the police using teargas after the Avalanche won the Stanley Cup? Don't even begin on the transgressions of the Oakland Raider fans. Rioting is not limited just to football.

I have to admit the acting in the World Cup is more extreme than even the NBA. I'm trying to remember in '94 if FIFA allowed yellow cards to be given after review of the game if injuries had been faked. But I wouldn't want to get my foot smashed or have someone slide into my face with a pair of cleats.

The World Cup this year has been full of surprises, America being one of them. I just have a bad feeling about Poland, after all Korea had 19 shots while the United States only 6. Jeff Argoos needs to be benched after that game and the own goal against Portugal.

Just imagine if Argentina had come back to beat Sweden, England would have been eliminated. The game against Nigeria was horrible, where was the offense after the 60th minute? Tomorrow we have Mexico and Italy. With Croatia still in it, Mexico can't afford to lose despite having won their first two games.

Long live the cup!

Snake Plissken
"Goaaaaaal!"

(by the way, I like nearly every sport except the NBA (NCAA is more pure basketball), bowling, and tennis (badminton far superior). American football is my favourite sport, but they should change the name to gridiron. Unforunately my Houston Texans, New Orleans Saints, and Minnesota Vikings will be once again miserable this year.)

QLD
06-12-2002, 11:51 PM
I don't hate soccer. However I don't like it. It doesn't mean I can't discuss it intelligently and maturely though.

The Texans will stink. But the Vikings and Saints will make the playoffs.

However the Falcons, well, they will not. But, they will be fun to watch.

Vortex
06-13-2002, 08:37 AM
Vikes make a playoff run...are you nuts? That's like saying the USA will win the world cup by the end of this month.

We lost Griff, Wong, and a few others from the defense, Carter is gone, a few others few the coop, and we have a bare minimum team this fall.

I don't think Tice can put something good together for this year, give them a few years to get Dante back up there, and for Moss to get his s__t together. Couple that with Red threating to move the team out of MN, and the vikes will be lucky enough to finish at .500

If you still believe this you should come up here to MN and get on the sports rap, or try to sell the house on building a new stadium.

And since this is still a soccer thread...what the crap happened to my Croates last night...I'm out some cash.

QLD
06-13-2002, 09:02 AM
Heh, well, the defense I agree on. But they signed another receiver who should fit in well for Carter. I think it was Derrick Alexander. It was either Alexander or McCardell. But, the Vikings were in the greatest football game I have ever seen! 98 NFC Championship baby! The one shining moment in the Falcons 30+ year history.

Mandalorian Candidat
06-13-2002, 09:46 AM
Well, Brazil did it again. Just crushed the heck out of poor Costa Rica. I hope this doesn't go to their heads and they get complacent again.

Here's to the yellow, blue, and green to win the Cup (that is if the USA doesn't pull it off)!

Lobito
06-13-2002, 01:05 PM
Hi there my friends...looong time no see...i've been hiding cuzz i dont want to know anything of SW until i watch the movie...later in early July. Now to sports....

I like almost every sport, watching them and playing them. I actually play soccer every sunday in an amateur league. I also play tenis in a regular basis, not as often as soccer but still i play it a lot.

As for Basquetball and Football...i love to watch the PRO seasons. Baseball is big also, but i just watch the World Series, same goes for Hockey, but i watch less Hockey than Base.

My teams...Basquetball...Lakers. Football...Redskins. Tenis....Andre, Goran, Hingis, Guga Kuerten. Baseball...NYY. Hockey...The canadiens.
Golf, Nascar, F-1, Indy. Im updated in those but dont watch them too much.

Now the World Cup...well Mexico is in the next round, now lets hope The U.S. team beats Poland (which will be a very easy win for the US team in my opinion).

Other Favorites include Brazil. Good luck!!

QLD
06-13-2002, 03:03 PM
Must be tough being a Lakers and Yankees fan.

Lobito
06-13-2002, 03:41 PM
Because of the rivalry between those 2 mayor cities??? Well since i'm from Mex, i dont have that problem.

Lobito
06-17-2002, 03:35 PM
Hi there my friends, I JUST WANT TO CONGRATULATE U ON YOUR WIN AGAINST MEXICO (2-0) IN THE WORLD CUP. Good luck against Germany as for my team...welll there's always next time.

Vortex
06-17-2002, 03:41 PM
It was a good battle, and even with another "hand of god" clearing header, it was a good game. Mexico is always a tough opp. and I think it was a good showing from the No. Americas. I think that game made some nations sit up and take notice.

I can't wait to see the US and Mexico in action again.

JediTricks
06-17-2002, 04:11 PM
I heard my neighbors screaming their heads off last night around midnight, and while flipping channels, I stopped on ESPN and watched for a few minutes. There was a guy on the Mexico team, I forget his name, he had longish blond hair, the footage guys kept playing his big flop onto the ground for which he got a yellow card, they had like 4 different angles of him not being touched and just falling to the ground, and while I was watching this, I noticed my neighbors laughing. A few minutes later, the US scored the second goal and my neighbors ERUPTED! It's like 1 at night and these guys were SCREAMING and chanting "USA! USA!", and only then did I realize that this was LIVE coverage.

Well, congratulations to both teams, it looked like a good, well-fought match from the parts I watched.

Mandalorian Candidat
06-17-2002, 05:02 PM
Man, I just can't believe we beat Mexico! We've been doing better against them lately, but they're so much more experienced than us in World Cup play.

Hey, anyone else from LA ever notice this? Whenever the US team plays Mexico in the Rose Bowl, doesn't it seem like it's a home game for Mexico? I never see one person rooting for the US, but I always see a million Mexican flags.

JediTricks
06-17-2002, 06:55 PM
I have noticed that MC, but I also notice that the TV news coverage seems to try to downplay this aspect.

In fact, part of what weirded me out about my neighbors last night is that I thought they were rooting for Mexico since they have in the past and they came here from there recently, but they definitely weren't rooting for Mexico last night!

JetsAndHeels
06-17-2002, 10:23 PM
Seems alot more people are now rooting for the US. I was just watching Sportscenter and their soccer analyst (yes they have one of those) said that soccer has finally arrived in the US.
I havent really been watching it since the Canes were in the Stanley cup finals, but it is good that our soccer team is representing us so well.

figrin bran
06-18-2002, 01:30 AM
Originally posted by Mandalorian Candidat
Man, I just can't believe we beat Mexico! We've been doing better against them lately, but they're so much more experienced than us in World Cup play.

Hey, anyone else from LA ever notice this? Whenever the US team plays Mexico in the Rose Bowl, doesn't it seem like it's a home game for Mexico? I never see one person rooting for the US, but I always see a million Mexican flags.

well just making my way around LA the past few days, i've seen lots of Mexico car flags. and though there are USA car flags as well, they might be holdovers from the post 9/11 flag boom and not necessarily World Cup related.

Mandalorian Candidat
06-18-2002, 09:58 AM
So what's up with this tournament? First France, then Argentina, now Italy?! And they were beaten by South Korea! SI was totally off. They had Argentina beating Italy in the finals with the US not making it out of the round of 16.

If this keeps going I predict a Senegal-South Korea finals. ;)

Exhaust Port
06-18-2002, 11:16 AM
Soccer fans every where are checking their globes to find out where the heck Senegal is. :)

Man the South Koran victory was quite an upset! I'm only hoping that the US can give the World Cup the biggest upset yet. Come on guys, we did it in '45, let's do it again.

QLD
06-18-2002, 11:22 AM
I don't know much about it. But I hope they do well.

2-1B
06-19-2006, 11:42 AM
I still don't like this sport and don't really care about the outcome...but part of me is rooting for Tunisia because of the Tatooine connection. :grin:

Go Team Jawas and Tusken Raiders ! ! ! ! ! :grin: :grin: :grin:

seanmcfripp
06-26-2006, 09:32 PM
I tried to explain the Tunisia/Tatooine thing to a World Cup fan co-worker of mine. He didn't think my "Tunisia Jawas" team name recommendation/joke was funny at all. Too bad you weren't there to back me up, Caes:Pirate:.

jjreason
06-27-2006, 12:29 AM
So Brazil plays Ghana, and Spain plays France tomorrow to see who will join Germany, Argentina, England, Portugal, Italy and the Ukraine in the Great Eight.

Tough to pick favorites, but I'll pull for the underdog Ukrainians.... and be sure to howl about lousy officiating when they fall in the next round. I was a little sad to see that Australia couldn't cap off their great effort against Italy.