PDA

View Full Version : Dagobah X-Wing: Is there any better AF display piece?

SWAFMAN
06-08-2002, 06:03 PM
Okay, some may claim the Zaap "pewter" ships display better out of the box. I'll almost certainly never know, since I'll almost certainly never be able to afford another one for an opener.

Some may claim the Defender is better/as good an opened display SWAF. That's a tough call. They're such VERY different ships, I prefer to think they compliment each other rather than have to rank them.

I haven't opened my Falcons, and I'm working on scoring a cheap one for an opener. That's one of the others I think will display really well. I'd like to hear what AF ships others think are outstanding when displayed out of their box.

As fo non-SW Action Fleet, the Aliens series also look like they'd display spectacularly as openers.

But back to the main subject....

I received my 2nd Dagobah X-Wing today. This one ordered specifically to display out of the box. I am thrilled with it. In addition to the "swampy" paint effects, they also added some gray and puke-color (sorry, I thought for a long time, and that's the only description I could think of for the color) patches on the ship that beautifully pop out some of the textured areas that simply do not show up on the standard, minimally-painted versions.

As everyone probably knows, you can still score these on eBay for under $10 + shipping pretty regularly. I paid $9.49 + $5 shipping. In my opinion, for what little that's worth, I think this is hands-down the best value-for-the-dollar aftermarket AF collectible. If you have only one of them, and you're reluctant to open it, to retain its value as a collectible, then I urge you to get your butt on to eBay and snag an opener. If you're disappointed after seeing it, I'll buy it from you myself (provided you got one for about what I paid).

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
06-10-2002, 12:44 AM
SWAF,

I bought mine for $10 at a flea market late last summer and although I primarily am a carded collector, I couldn't resist the temptation to very carefully open the box and take out the ship to display. As you said the mucky swamp colors of Dagobah is transferred beautifully to the ship. It is much better than the mundane looking regular AF X-wing. It is a wonder why I didn't order this ship from Toyfare when it first came out. I can even slip it back into the box and it looks like I've never opened it.

Sakay
06-10-2002, 03:00 PM
I am in total agreement with you both. Another great unknown is the damaged X wing from the Yavin Playset. Although, from the three that I have only one has great detailed effects, with laser scoring and weathered panels, with the damaged wing and cockpit is a nice effect.

JediGoofy
06-11-2002, 08:40 AM
In my opinioin one of the best AF display pieces is the Trade Federation Droid Fighter. :)
I think the designer of the wings/legs of the DF is a genius!
The first time I got the DF in my hands I was so impressed by the technical solutions AF designers used to solve the problem of the conversion between flying and walking mode. And it was not just a simple conversion, they were able to make the walking DF fully poseable and you can move it exactly like in the movie! Amazing! (the only difference is the paint job, darker than in the film, but actually I like it more! :D )

I like also the Dagobah X-Wing and I am currently planning to create a small diorama with my X-Wing partially sunk in a swamp, even if I still have to find a way of creating the "water" (using maybe a resin) of the swamp in such a way I can take out the X-Wing without damaging it (I would not want to enclose it forever in the diorama).

Ciao,
JediGoofy

haggie
06-15-2002, 03:46 PM
The Dagobah X-Wing is a thing of beauty. My favorite AFs are definitely the TF Tank and the Alpha Infiltrator just on the merits of gorgeous design. They may not be the coolest AFs as far as features go but I could just stare at these beautiful vehicles all day.

haggie
06-15-2002, 03:48 PM
They definitely did a great job on the TF Droid Fighter but I've always wondered why those vehicles would need to walk. What's up with that? I just don't get it...

JediTricks
06-16-2002, 09:24 PM
Originally, they didn't have that capability. Only after the ships were turned into droids themselves rather than ships FOR droids, did Lucas and Doug Chiang decide it should have legs.

Personally, I think the Dagobah X-wing is nice, but it lacks underneath detail. I think AF as good for display as this X-wing (or better) are the Royal Starship, Series Alpha Naboo Fighter set, Virago, and TIE Defender.

SWAFMAN
06-16-2002, 09:34 PM
well, I only have an opener of one of the others you mention, so far, JT - the defender. I agree it emotes a very menacing feel on display. I love it.

I'm working hard to get all the AFs as open displays, but it will be a long time before I get all the EP1 alphas as openers.

SID
06-16-2002, 10:35 PM
SWAFMAN,

Heres my favorite picks for Star Wars at #1.tie defender 2.virago 3.series alpha naboo fighter,4.royal starship.

I also enjoy the AF podracers,Its just to bad hasblo didn't make all 18 of them like they were supposed to!:rolleyes:

darthdeogg
06-17-2002, 02:20 AM
I got my dagobah X-Wing at a comic book show in MIchigan two years ago. The guy had a $7 price tag. I just couldn't resist. I really like it, and I wish they'do al ot more with the AF line

-Dan

darthdeogg
06-17-2002, 02:25 AM
I got my dagobah X-Wing at a comic book show in MIchigan two years ago. The guy had a $7 price tag. I just couldn't resist. I really like it, and I wish they'do al ot more with the AF line

-Dan

good shot jansen
06-17-2002, 08:02 AM
particularly as it has the phantom yellow stripe down the fusalage shown on all the galoob photo's of the x-wing.

but for me, the best ship to display is the regular, everyday, run of the mill tie fighter.

even though the wings are not quite right proportion wise, i still love the way this guy looks when displayed on it's stand. when viewing it from the side, the wings hide the stand, and it looks like the ship is floating, and when viewed from either front or back, the symetry of the wings on either side of the stand, makes this a very nice display piece!

SWAFMAN
07-08-2002, 05:39 PM
Yavin Rebel Base Playset

Just received/opened/assembled and "explored the action features" ;)

Wow.

The ingenious design & super playability of the set is wonderful. LOTS of things to do! Six AF F I G U R E S ! ! ! ! That alone was worth getting an opener of the set!

My 7 yr old daughter and 11 yr old son went ape crap over it. They, too, "explored the action features" thoroughly.

I have an opener of the Hoth set, but it is very incomplete, missing all decals, and some of the figures and accessories. I got a battle damaged snow speeder for about four bucks, and the seller added-in the playset as-is, for free, so I can't complain. But now that I've seen the Yavin set complete, I may have to get a better opener of the Hoth. Opener of the Death Star set should arrive in about a week. I hope it's as cool as the Yavin.

Even if these sets did originally sell for $35 full retail, when you consider that single AF ships were around $12 list price at that time, this was a great deal. At $5 super-clearance at TRU, these had to be one of the best values in the history of the toy industry. Ack! I wish I'd bought more back then!

Oh, and the x-wing is cool, too! :)
But I think they did a better job on the damage effects on the snowspeeder.

shinakuma43
07-08-2002, 06:03 PM
The Yavin playset is, IMO, by far the best of the playsets. The Deathstar is the worst.

The playsets were 4.97 at TRU, but even better was when they went to 1.97 each. I have no idea why I didn't pick up extras just for the ships, but I didn't.

Later,
S43

JediTricks
07-08-2002, 10:09 PM
S43's AF playset assessment is the same as mine, not including Ep 1 playsets though.

Congrats on Yavin Swaffy, they're all good playsets, but you have the best one.

good shot jansen
07-09-2002, 04:07 PM
the thought process which went into that set is amazing! we've packed it up and taken it on the roads for years. even though it's the oddest shape and configuration of the three sets, it's always been the easiest to close and take on road trips.

whenever mason sets up a battle in his room, the yavin set is always taken out, opened up and becomes the command center for whoever happens to be the good guys. rebels, nubians, whoever :)

the mechanism for sliding x-wings in and out of the playset is my favorite part! the only other ship which can navigate that small slit of an opening is the y-wing.

hoth gets the nod for being number two. i just wish they had designed an entry system through the front of the playset similar to the yavin set.

the death star set is cool, but the emperor's throne room section always falls down at the slightest vibration, so out of the three sets, it see's the smallest amount of play time action.

JediTricks
07-10-2002, 02:07 AM
IIRC, the Snowspeeder fits through my Yavin gantry as well, but it's been a while since I tried. :D

I've never had the Emp's throne room fall down, but again, it's been a while since I monkeyed with that set. I thought the throne room locked into the wall though.

good shot jansen
07-10-2002, 07:34 AM
but you prolly don't play with it utilizin' the same enthusiasm as a hoard of 8 year old boys!:eek: