PDA

View Full Version : shameless, gratuitous parental brag-fest...

SWAFMAN
06-08-2002, 05:43 PM
I make no apologies for this post. As the title says, it's shameless and gratuitous bragging about one of my kids.
I don't care, because I'm so proud of him I have to post about this....

He had a little league double-header today. His team won the 1st game 9 to 8. But that's not what this post is about.

2nd game. Bottom of the 6th inning (they only play 6 innings, so it's the last inning), his team is losing 9-12. Bases loaded. Two outs. He comes up to bat. Swings & misses for strike one. The next pitch is low, clearly at his kneecaps and the moron ump calls it a strike - strike two. The next two pitches suck. The count is 2 balls & 2 strikes. The next pitch is a little high, but he connects for a blistering bullet of a line drive just to the right of the 2nd baseman. It hyperdrives past the baseman, and the outfielder, finally hitting the plywood signage of the right field fence with a boom like a rifle's report. I was worried it would ricochet half way back to the infield, making it easier for the outfielder, but it dropped pretty near the fence. In the time it took the ball to hit the ground, he was already rounding 2nd base, and the right fielder made the misjudgment of trying to catch him at 3rd. By the time the ball got to 3rd, he was 1/2 way to home plate, which he crossed a couple seconds thereafter.

Inside the park grand slam. They win 13-12.

That's my boy!

me ---> :D

my boy ---> :cool:

the other team ---> :cry:

-- end of brag fest --

2-1B
06-08-2002, 05:51 PM
Swaffy, why didn't you storm the field and beat up the ump?
. . . 'cause I hear that's what parents do . . . . .

KIDDING! :D

Congrats to Swafboy! :happy:

QLD
06-08-2002, 05:51 PM
That is a cool story SWAFMAN.

I had a lot of great moments in little leage. Most of them due to my freakish (at the time) size. I was a head taller than the other kids, and much bigger and stronger.

Thus, I was constantly picked on by opposing teams parents. They would yell and curse at me, and scream about how it wasnt fair that their little Timmy had to play with me. It wasn't my fault that they were older than me, but so puny :)

I could hit a ton. I used to feel like a Little League Babe Ruth. However, I couldn't field to save my life. That caused a lot of strife as well from my own teammates parents. To this day I swear I will kill any parent I see yelling at kids during a game. There is NO reason for it.

Anyway, I would hit homeruns all the time. They were a rare occurance where I lived, so I was kind of a local freak show. The fences in little league parks are so shallow, that for me, a pop fly would usually clear them. Every year we had to keep a copy of my birth certificate handy to show parents who were mad because I hit two home runs in a game. Of course they didn't say anything about the 3 errors I made in the game as well. :)

Anyway, everyone else finally caught up with me. I have been 6'0 since 5/6th grade, and not grown an inch since. I was never able to get better at fielding no matter how hard I tried, and had no luck with high school baseball. Anyway, my interest had faded to football then anyway.

Again, that's great your son was able to do that SWAFMAN! And I am glad you were there to see it. It is nice to have parents at the games. I just thought I would share those memories.

r2dee2
06-08-2002, 06:00 PM
SWAFMAN.....congrats to your son for a game well played...and congrats to YOU for being there for your son:)!!

LTBasker
06-08-2002, 06:14 PM
Congrats to your son! I know it can get kinda nerve racking up at the plate with a kid your age throwing "fast" balls at you, especially with stuff like that going on.

I played little league for awhile (got kicked off my team for being one of the best players of our first pee-wee season which we came in third).

Brag away, every reason to! :D

bigbarada
06-08-2002, 07:24 PM
:cool:

Obi-Don
06-09-2002, 04:33 AM
There is nothing wrong about bragging on your kids. I do it all the time. Maybe if all the parents would do that we would have more kids that feel better about themselfs.

Eternal Padawan
06-09-2002, 07:44 AM
:cool:

In the park grand slams are few and far between, little league or not. I hope you or somebody had a video camera so you can have a permanent record of it. :)

SWAFMAN
06-09-2002, 11:25 AM
Nope, no one had a still or video camera at the game, unfortunately. A video of it sure would have been nice. But we'll still remember it. Thanks for all the great thoughts, everyone. I never figured this would get replies. I thought everyone would be looking for a way to delete it from their post list.
He's been a terrific, natural athelete since he was a toddler. He must get it from his mother's side. I've never been particularly good at any popular sports. I was a decent Ultimate player 18-20 yeaers ago, and I could bicycle an infinite number of miles over practically any mountain (on-road, not all-terrain). Now, the only thing I'll ever win at is "championship recliner butt-imprinting" or "world cup flatulence."

Eternal Padawan
06-10-2002, 09:46 AM
"World Cup Flatulence"

Ahhh my friend. I could give you a run for your money. ;)

QLD
06-10-2002, 10:43 AM
I usually skip the World Cup Flatulence.....because I compete in the Olympic Flatulence. I have 8 gold medals to my name.

:D

SWAFMAN
06-10-2002, 01:36 PM
I dunno guys, I am quite a competitor....

QLD
06-10-2002, 01:40 PM
Heh, that is pretty good SWAFMAN!

JediTricks
06-11-2002, 06:29 PM
Oh, I am so welling up with pride over this current discussion... no wait, not pride, that other one... shame. ;)

SWAFMAN
06-11-2002, 09:37 PM
Originally posted by JediTricks
Oh, I am so welling up with pride over this current discussion... no wait, not pride, that other one... shame. ;)

WELL THEN, MY WORK HERE IS DONE!

;) :D :crazed: :p

LTBasker
06-12-2002, 01:23 AM
Originally posted by Quite-Long Dong
I usually skip the World Cup Flatulence.....because I compete in the Olympic Flatulence. I have 8 gold medals to my name.

:D

No one will ever beat me! MWHAHAHAHA! :D You remember the fireball at the last Olympic Flatulence? Oh yeah that was me, they put me too close to the torch. Instantly got some nice medals out of that - even if they were a little too well-done. ;)

Nicely done picture, SWAF. Is that a real picture of you in a gas mask or was it photoshopized? :sur:

SWAFMAN
06-12-2002, 11:19 AM
neither - was just stolen outright from a gas mask sales web site.

er, no, I mean it's a real pic of me taken at the World Cup Flatulence tournament!
:)