PDA

View Full Version : Revenge of the Jedi

scruffziller
06-08-2002, 08:36 PM
What was the reason it was change to Return?

LTBasker
06-08-2002, 09:16 PM
Lucas felt revenge wasn't what a Jedi was about, so he changed it to Return of the Jedi.

Hasbro'sBountyHunter
06-08-2002, 11:22 PM
Yeah, revenge isn't a Jedi concept.

Eternal Padawan
06-09-2002, 09:19 AM
They changed to Revenge to Return to discourage bootlegging of Jedi merchandise. Then George retroactively decided about five years later that he had changed the title because jedi don't seek revenge...

JediTricks
06-09-2002, 11:27 PM
Don't forget the legal battle that both Fox and Paramount were gearing up for over the battle of the word in their sci-fi sequel films:

Revenge of the Jedi vs Star Trek 2: The Vengance Of Khan

Luckily, both names were changed to avoid the studio legal battles that would have hurt both pictures.

Beast
06-09-2002, 11:32 PM
Originally posted by JediTricks
Don't forget the legal battle that both Fox and Paramount were gearing up for over the battle of the word in their sci-fi sequel films:
Revenge of the Jedi vs Star Trek 2: The Vengance Of Khan
Luckily, both names were changed to avoid the studio legal battles that would have hurt both pictures.
Luckily both titles were changed, because "Return of the Jedi" is a much better title, and "Vengance of Khan" just plain sucks. Thankfully Star Trek II changed it's name anyway, even after "Revenge" became "Return". :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

2-1B
06-10-2002, 12:08 AM
I love how we can retroactively change George's retroactive excuse for a title change! :D Pretty silly of him to publicly state those things when there are public records of the opposite. But it fooled me, as I believed the "Revenge" reason for many years. :o

Who might have made the first legal move between Fox and Paramount? I don't really understand the argument. Revenge and vengeance are pretty common words, and I'll add that I never understood the lawsuit over the film titles of Screamers vs. Scream. Perhaps it just comes down to timing. If the Trek movie was going to be called "Vengeance of Ben-Hur", then I could see infringement . . . but I don't know all of the legal angles. That Austin Powers / James Bond debacle sure had my mind in a crunch. :crazed:

bigbarada
06-10-2002, 02:42 PM
Gotta love the Annotated Screenplays! Here's GLs exact quote:

By the time we got down to doing the third film, we'd had so many difficulties with people trying to report stuff with the media and the press and everything that we called the film Revenge of the Jedi to throw people off. The title was always intended to be Return of the Jedi, but we made the film under the code name Revenge of the Jedi. Unfortunately, what happened is Fox started promoting the film before we could tell them not to use the title. We were lucky that they didn't start promoting the film under the title Blue Harvest, because we were also using that as a bogus title.

icatch9
06-10-2002, 02:59 PM
Wow the truth comes out. Still good thing GL used such a starange name. I mean no one would ever think a movie called Revenge of the Jedi would be a Star Wars movie. I thought it was a Micky Mouse movie. I still think it pretty funny.

The whole Revenge/Return thing is ture. Still how do we know when GL first started writting it he didn't change the tittle. I mean we don't know what he was writting on the yellow tablits. So, the statement that it was changed due to the fact that Jedi wouldn't seek revenge could be true....from certain point of view :)

JediTricks
06-11-2002, 09:52 PM
Who would have sued first? I have no idea, Fox was pretty quick with the lawyers after SW came out, but Paramount has never let much slide either. Both might have had a small case since they were competing films in the same genre with the same concept in their titles. If this had gone to suit, it probably would have delayed both films' release and then been dropped. There's a lot of strange legal stuff in Hollywood like that which has legal merit. :crazed:

I don't fully buy that Annoted Screenplay answer, it seems awfully coy since the "Blue Harvest" crew jackets were being worn in the Arizona desert during filming yet I've never heard of any authentic "Revenge" crew jackets, and the "revenge" poster and T-shirt were sold through the official SW fan club.

Jek Porky 2002
06-24-2002, 06:46 PM
That's the first I've ever heard of it being for leagal reasons, thanks. I wish that someone could have been bringing out a film version of Attack Of The Killer Tomatos, a few months back!

BoShek
06-25-2002, 12:07 AM
Has the term "Blue Harvest" ever been used in the EU?

MikeAndTheBots
06-25-2002, 12:18 AM
Bah, who really cares? Return of the Jedi just sounds cooler and better than Revenge of the Jedi. It seems to fit the story more anyway since the Jedi are reborn through the Vader's killing of palpy and Luke becoming a jedi knight.