PDA

View Full Version : Bespin Luke (when good figures go bad)

sith_killer_99
06-08-2002, 10:26 PM
Well, today I FINALLY found a LONE Bespin Luke sitting on the pegs at TRU. WOW, now I have 3 figures released after the big 27.:rolleyes:

Anyway, the pkg was a bit banged up so I decided to open him up. All I can say is WOW, what a waste of a potentially EXCELLENT figure.

Head sculpt: Not bad, probably one of the better head sculpts out there. Everyone seems to have trouble with this head sculpt, much like Leia.

Overall sculpt: Good.

Removable hand: Good. I happen to have the metal peg hand Luke.

Pack-ins: Great. Metal Lightsaber hilt with removable blade. Accurate blaser. No working holster.:mad: Cool Bacta cast thing. Great looking antenna from movie, with suction cup to make it hang.

Then, they go and stick this ugly honkin button in his lower back. SWINGING BATTLE ACTION my butt.

What a way to ruin a perfectly good figure. With a stupid button sticking out his (butt?) lower waist.:dead:

Thanx Hasbro.

PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD STOP THE GIMMICKS!!!

joe-da
06-08-2002, 10:35 PM
I agree. Everything's great except for the "action" feature.

But the pistol fits in the holster on mine.

SuperBattleDroid88
06-08-2002, 10:40 PM
Yeah... It has a holster the blaster can go in...
What'choo talkin 'bout sith_killer_99
:p

Lman316
06-08-2002, 10:50 PM
Mine has a working holster too. It doesn't go in all the way, but it goes in.
And yes, I'm peeved too about the action feature. I mean, it's not bad, but the button is an eye sore, and I think this would have been a really great figure if they had left the gimmick out.
Same thing with the Vader. The Vader has an awesome sculpt (the first time I've ever seen his cape chain), but the gimmick takes away from it.
I'm with Sith_Killer, hoping that Hasbro will stop with the gimmicks already.

End :).

187-Maul
06-09-2002, 06:20 AM
well Lman on the 25th anniversairy 2-pack vader you can see his cape chain pretty good too

Lman316
06-09-2002, 06:34 AM
Originally posted by 187-Maul
well Lman on the 25th anniversairy 2-pack vader you can see his cape chain pretty good too

Ah, well, they're moving up in the world :D. I don't own the two-pack, so I guess that's why I didn't notice it.
I hope that if they ever release a neutral Ultimate version of Vader, they don't forget the chain. I just think it's cool.

End :).

sideswipe1984
06-09-2002, 08:29 AM
I couldn't agree more. This (and Vader) were figures with incredible potential, but those damned buttons really take away from the overall appeal of, what should be, two of the better figures of the modern age.

You Know, I make no secret of my hatred of action features, but why, out of all the action features, do they insist on putting a f#$cking button or wheel on the back sides of all of the "main characters" that I love (luke, Obi-Wan, Vader, Han, Anakin)? I could LIVE with something less obtrusive, but I just cannot stand those montrosties jutting from there ***$es.

Is there a soul on this planet who prefers a "buttonized" figure to a "non-buttonized" figure? (listens to crickets chirping). Then please tell me why Hasbro felt the need to implement such a despicable feature, that surely only adds to production costs.

sith_killer_99
06-09-2002, 09:13 AM
My blaster SERIOUSLY will not fit!

I have tried half a dozen different ways and it's still a no go.

odi-wan windu
06-09-2002, 10:21 AM
mine fits like a glove. weird.

Forhekset
06-09-2002, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by sith_killer_99
My blaster SERIOUSLY will not fit!

I have tried half a dozen different ways and it's still a no go.

It may just be a tight fit...mine fits the way it should be (muzzle downwards, handle towards the back) but it was a REAL tight squeeze. But since his blaster is made of that gummy plastic it squeezed in no problem with a little bit of effort. I love the Bespin Luke figure. But now I need to find another one because I traded away my loose Luke the other day.

QLD
06-09-2002, 11:08 AM
I thought it was a fine figure, but I hope they drop these action features like a bad habit. Not ONE of them has worked out well.

mylow thehutt
06-09-2002, 05:56 PM
Any one got a pic of his back so I can see what it looks like.

Beast
06-09-2002, 06:01 PM
Originally posted by mylow thehutt
Any one got a pic of his back so I can see what it looks like.
It's really not that bad, must shorter then the Vader peg and it doesn't ruin the look of the figure as much as most claim. Here is a picture from Rebelscum's archives of his back. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Lord Tenebrous
06-09-2002, 06:20 PM
The one thing that I would fix is making the button the same color as the belt. It could look like a box-shaped pouch, but not like it is now.

It could work then, if integrated, like putting a quick-draw button on a Stormtrooper. It's obvious where it would go (see attached).

If this action feature stuff is to continue, the sculpt and features crews should work together to make the figure as aesthetically-pleasant and efficient as possible. Like on basic Mace - would it have been too much to disguise a differently-shaped button within one of his belt pouches?

sideswipe1984
06-10-2002, 12:07 AM
Originally posted by JarJarBinks

It's really not that bad, must shorter then the Vader peg and it doesn't ruin the look of the figure as much as most claim. Here is a picture from Rebelscum's archives of his back. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

No, it doesn't completely ruin the figure. But, think how much better the figure would be without it. That goes for all of the "buttonized" figs.

pthfnder89
06-10-2002, 02:08 AM
Originally posted by sideswipe1984
I couldn't agree more. This (and Vader) were figures with incredible potential, but those damned buttons really take away from the overall appeal of, what should be, two of the better figures of the modern age.

You Know, I make no secret of my hatred of action features, but why, out of all the action features, do they insist on putting a f#$cking button or wheel on the back sides of all of the "main characters" that I love (luke, Obi-Wan, Vader, Han, Anakin)? I could LIVE with something less obtrusive, but I just cannot stand those montrosties jutting from there ***$es.

I don't particularly like the buttons, but they just don't bother me nearly as much as some people. Vader in particular was done really well, by sculpting the cape so that it covers it.