PDA

View Full Version : Straghten the Shelves!!!

Cubehead
06-08-2002, 10:41 PM
As you may all have noticed, tons of Episode 2 products are choking up the shelves at about every major retailer in the country.

This situation is bad for us collectors because it slows down and limits the release of new figures. This problem hurts kids as well because the shelves are clogged with figures they don't want. What can we as a collective community do to help our favorite pass time?

STRAIGHTEN THE SHELVES!!!!!!!

I've been doing this for a while, as sort of a good Kharma thing. It's helps out my friends in the various toy stores I visit and it seperates me from the jerks (mainly dealers) who trash the SW figure sections loking for new stuff.

I also will group popular figures and figures of the same character. This helps people find their favorites quickly. After having done this for a while I can tell you it HONESTLY DOES WORK!

A clean, orderly figure section helps move more product. Meaning more new figures for your store!
Plus you get the satisfaction of helping someone out. Someone who proabaly has a sh*t job to begin with. This sort of activity puts a positive light on Star Wars collectors and I feel helps us greatly to improve our image.

So the next time you in a store and you see figures strewn everywhere, take a second and clean things up. You'll be glad you did and The Universe will reward you. Who knows, maybe you'll find that elusive new figure you've been searching for...

SuperBattleDroid88
06-08-2002, 10:42 PM
I did that at Toys R Us the other day....
I might continue to do it too!!!!!!!!! :)

Hasbro'sBountyHunter
06-08-2002, 10:43 PM
Good advice :)

bigbarada
06-08-2002, 10:45 PM
I spend plenty of time picking the Saga cards up off the floor because they are always falling down as I look through them. So this seems like a good idea as it will give people something to do while waiting for those new figures and since your going through the figures peg by peg anyway why not organize it and make your search easier the next time around?

Exhaust Port
06-08-2002, 11:12 PM
I just started doing this too. I try to make sure that I fill as many of the pegs as I can in the hopes that when the store employees see the remaining empty pegs they'll bring out the new boxes. I just have to go back tomorrow to see if it worked.

DarthMushy
06-08-2002, 11:35 PM
Haha... I do that too, Exhaust Port.

Lman316
06-08-2002, 11:40 PM
The only figures I put back on the shelves are the ones that I accidentally knock over. The only reason that I don't put the others back up is because there are just too many scattered around. I mean, there were at least 50 figures laying on a shelf and some on the floor. I'm really not going to be putting all of those figures back on the pegs. First, someone will think that I knocked them all down (I have to protect the ego, lol :crazed: ) and two, I'm not getting paid for it.
What I do to ensure more figures are to be put out is to buy some more figures. It gets them off the shelves and it lessens the stock so they have to put more out. It's worked everyday this week :).

End :happy:.

Cubehead
06-09-2002, 12:13 AM
"I'm not getting paid to do this" - I knew somebody was going to say something like this. -Sigh-

If not to help the hobby how 'bout for Kharma's sake?

bigbarada
06-09-2002, 12:22 AM
I always thought it was spelled "karma.":p:D

I think this would be good for the reasons Exhaust Port mentioned above to free up some pegs so that they will bring out new stock. I've seen pegs with only two or three figures on them and the employees say there is no room for new toys.:stupid:

Of course my local K-Mart display is a friggin' disaster area; but I tend to notice that is the case at K-Marts most of the time. Just like many of them tend to have that "unwashed masses" smell to them.:crazed:

Brett3xmvpfavre
06-09-2002, 12:26 AM
when ever my dad and sister go into a store with me i got to trhe star wars figures and start straiting them up until they come over then i leave. once at target the guy said for helping him out he brought out a case of the yoda wave for me! it really dose work! oh a good idea is to fill ONE peg of potj stuff with the saga stuff. some people are like "hey look at these they must be new" and pic one up. then your store has even more space.

bigbarada
06-09-2002, 12:32 AM
How about getting a shopping cart, fill it to overflowing with Kit Fistos, OPD Anakins and whatever else you can get in there, drive it around the store for a while then just "forgetfully" leave it in the shoe section or frozen food aisle or something? Chances are by the time they notice the cart they will already have filled the empty pegs with new product.:evil:

figrin bran
06-09-2002, 12:40 AM
i've been doing a lot of this too so it's nice to see likeminded collectors. at my local tru, i've even gone so far as to dig out Dookus, Yodas, Bespin Vaders, anything from newer waves, out from these large bins and placed them on the pegs in plain view of anyone that walks into the store. (the SW display is the first thing you see upon entrance of this tru). so yeah i am counting on some good karma...though i shouldn't have admitted that b/c now it'll probably be withheld from me. which would explain my inability thus far to find anything from the Orn Free Taa wave onward.

saladin
06-09-2002, 02:36 AM
i usually try to but sometimes i end making a bigger mess.

Cubehead
06-09-2002, 03:35 AM
kharma, karma, or quarma...

bigbarada
06-09-2002, 03:39 AM
Originally posted by Cubehead
kharma, karma, or quarma...

Ah, got it. Sooooo, what is it?:confused:

metaljedi
06-09-2002, 04:23 AM
You should see the Walmarts out here with all the pegs there are maybe 5 figures out (literally) I don't think they want to bring out more product.

Obi-Don
06-09-2002, 04:30 AM
I always try to pick up and put back on the pegs as much as I can. I didn't think about trying to put them in any order. Sounds like a good idea. It will make it easier to find what I'm looking for.

Lman316
06-09-2002, 06:26 AM
Originally posted by Cubehead
"I'm not getting paid to do this" - I knew somebody was going to say something like this. -Sigh-

If not to help the hobby how 'bout for Kharma's sake?

I did explain two reasons as to why I don't pick the figures up. Not getting paid (because there are people there being employed for this sort of thing, you know) was just one of the reasons.
I also made a joke about the ego thing.
But I will mention this. I am not the childish/irresponsible one knocking figures down and not having enough sense to put them back on the pegs. If I knock something down - ever - I put it back up. If I pick something up, and I decide I don't want it anymore, I'll run back to where I got it - I don't just leave it there. I don't just leave it and say, "Oh, they have someone to clean this up." I don't say that then. I clean up my own messes when it comes to that, why should I have to be responsible for everyone else when I'm not even getting a paycheck for it? I have other things to do with my time besides pushing more figures onto the already over crowded shelves.
And Karma has never worked for me and never will. If I tried to put those figures back on the pegs, I would end up getting yelled at, or something of the like.
So, again, would someone like to tell me why I should be flamed on here for not wanting to be responsible for other peoples' childish, if not stupid, behavior? Give me one good reason, and I'll go clean up every toy aisle I can get to.

End...

Forhekset
06-09-2002, 11:21 AM
Well, I don't pick up anything when the toy aisle really looks like a hurricane hit it..you know, when there's like literally 100s of figs laying on the floor and shelves. But I almost always put stuff back up when I happen to be going through figures and there's some that are knocked off, sitting sideways, etc. I mean I'm going through the figures anyway and looking through the ones that have been knocked off, so I may as well stick 'em on a peg. I fill the pegs right up to the brim, too. I don't organize them according to character, though, or anything....

LTBasker
06-09-2002, 12:45 PM
I don't really do this but one time at Wal-Mart during E1 they had a bunch of pegs to the SW figures and some were empty (and it took them forever to restock EMPTY pegs) and I was bored so I put 1 of each figure on pegs and did them by waves. I think I did Wave 4, 5, 6 and part of 7 using the 4 rows of empty pegs, it was kinda cool looking when I left. Thing is, I went back there not too long after that and some of the figures were still like that. :D

Jaina Solo
06-09-2002, 07:46 PM
I've been straightening stuff every time I look at the figures; there's always something messed up. I pick up the stuff that falls while I'm looking through it, and the 12" inch figures that constantly fall off the shelves and try to kill me- self-preservation. I haven't sorted stuff by character yet, but I'm starting to think it might be a good idea.

Cubehead
06-09-2002, 08:10 PM
Hey, Lman, I wasn't flamming you, just 'razin' you a bit.-lol
Don't be so sensitve!

As far having good reasons to straighten the shelves, I think myself and others here have stated quite a few.:)

God, I must have spent 20 minutes fixing up the SW section of my local Wal-Mart today. It actually has been working as I am seeing the massive amount of figures they have steadily decline.
And as a reward for my efforts a helpful employe went into the stock room and brought me out a case of the new deluxe figs!

Instant Khara!:)

Anyways I know they have employees to do this sort of thing but many of them do not have the passion or the knowledge that we all share. I always make sure to leave popular figures easily visable so that they'll sell quickly. It has actually worked quite well, as I have seen a steady decline in the MASSIVE amounts of figures on the shelves in my area.

PS. Kharma, karma, or Quarma, any is acceptable.

jjreason
06-10-2002, 01:16 AM
I did that in my store too. I took the one remaining Senator Jar Jar and put him on the empty peg beside the only other figure in the store, Dexter Jettster. Then I looked sadly at all the empty pegs, and found an employee. "Will there be more, ever?" I asked, with a tear in my eye. The employee straightened his glasses, and clicked dear Jar Jar with his electric scanner. "Nope" was the shocking, but somehow expected answer. "None on order, none on the way. If they show up, it'll be a surprise to me." I could have been knocked over by a butterfly. "But....we didn't get.....Dooku....we didn't get....Yoda." I sobbed quietly to myself as the employee walked away. Hanging my head, I made my way to the door leading to the parking lot, all the while cursing fate for sending me to Northern British Columbia.
Sorry to whine. I just fealt like sharing my pain with you. Enjoy!

BillyJAck
06-10-2002, 06:18 AM
Originally posted by bigbarada
How about getting a shopping cart, fill it to overflowing with Kit Fistos, OPD Anakins and whatever else you can get in there, drive it around the store for a while then just "forgetfully" leave it in the shoe section or frozen food aisle or something? Chances are by the time they notice the cart they will already have filled the empty pegs with new product.:evil:

while i found this funny if caught it the process you could very easily be banned from the store. I'd really like to HIDE them all so they can't be put back. LOL. burn them up with lighter fluid and matches. too many pegwarmers in the saga series.

billy

Exhaust Port
06-10-2002, 10:30 PM
Well my plan of condensing the remaining figures on the peg in the hopes of finally generated some new figures. I showed up today and the pegs were brimming with new stuff, much to my amazement. I'd like to think that my handy work played a part. :)

Jayspawn
06-11-2002, 01:22 AM
I'm kinda a stickler for neatness, so if I see figures sitting on the shelf or floor I'll pick them up and put them with others of their kind.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
06-11-2002, 01:59 AM
I pick up loose figures all the time at the stores. I guess it is the retailer in me that makes me do it. I also do it as a courtesy to the employees as well. The Star Wars display is one of the most popular displays in the toy aisle and people are constantly thumbing through the pegs of figures, knocking them down and such. I figure I give someone a break by picking them up.

I even tried to do this at a Wal-Mart yesterday during one of my hunts and quite honestly, they had a whole aisle full of pegs of the toys and about twenty or so strewn figures at the top of the shelving. There wasn't even room to put any of the figures there was so many, and it seemed no one was buying any. ) :

JEDIpartner
06-11-2002, 11:18 AM
One of K-Marts, as I pointed out in another thread, has their figures placed on shelves, making it virtually impossible for people to look for anything. The K-Mart by my job and the one by my gym have probably sold out 85% of their shipments. There are pegs with either nothing on them or 3-5 figures on them. There are only a couple blaster rifles, a couple Jango holster sets, 1 Anakin and 1 Obi-Wan 12", no Reeks or speeders, a few puzzles and a couple tins of cards. The only things that appear to be clogging the pegs with no sign of relief are the Deluxe figures from the first wave. *sigh* :(

LTBasker
06-11-2002, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by JEDIpartnr
The K-Mart by my job and the one by my gym have probably sold out 85% of their shipments. There are pegs with either nothing on them or 3-5 figures on them. There are only a couple blaster rifles, a couple Jango holster sets, 1 Anakin and 1 Obi-Wan 12", no Reeks or speeders, a few puzzles and a couple tins of cards. The only things that appear to be clogging the pegs with no sign of relief are the Deluxe figures from the first wave. *sigh* :(

You sure theres not another place for the SW stuff? At the K-Mart here they have a space for the Saga stuff in the usual Toy Asile that's only about 6 pegs, but then I found out that they had one of those "aisle islands" set-up near the electronics deparment and on one side it had half of it devoted to fully stocked figures. Unfortunately I've only seen the first 27 figures there but they're pretty stocked.

Jedi Drew
06-11-2002, 12:31 PM
I know the two K-Marts JEDIPartnr is talking about-the island displays are WIPED OUT . They MAYBE only have two dozen figures. I hope they plan to restock soon. The newest SW item that they had was the 12" Jango.HH

FETT
06-11-2002, 03:35 PM
you guys should harass the people that work at the stores to organize their messy action figures, but yah if you drop something, you should pick it up..that's plain common sense...it would be a whole lot easier to put common figures all on the same pegs..not like it would take an arm and a leg to do that.....and it's not like the people working there are in a damn rush to get things done..so just tell them....organize your figures next time or if you're really bored do it yourself...-_-...

Mandalorian Candidat
06-11-2002, 03:52 PM
This topic is kind of funny cause I started doing this awhile back. It was really getting to me going into Target, KMart, and WM and finding figures strewn all over the place. I don't know if it's due to many people or just a few dorks rifling through all the figures, but I can't stand to see the SW stuff like that. Even worse, it's only the SW aisle that's like that. Everything else seems to be orderly. It gives me the impression that employees think all SW collectors are slobs and we could care less.

I don't mind picking up a few figures if it means that someone will soon put out more. It only takes a couple of moments to put them back on the pegs and makes the aisle look a lot better.

LTBasker
06-11-2002, 05:03 PM
Hmm... my local Wal-Mart's aisle is pretty messy, I guess if I go there again I'll straighten it up a little if it's just as messy. Somehow I didn't even think about it at the time. :o

Jaina Solo
06-12-2002, 04:55 PM
Went to Wal-Mart yesterday, got bored, and started sorting figures. Found some hard-to-find stuff which I tossed on the front of the pegs. It was gone when I went back to the aisle a bit later. Sorting is more fun than doing nothing if you're bored. :)

I found a Hanger Duel Anakin hanging out at the very back of a peg; Handed him over to a kid griping about not finding any decent Jedi. Not sure if I'd have done it if I didn't already have mine... maybe I would've. :)

Forhekset
06-16-2002, 02:50 PM
Well, I completed an interesting experiment over the weekend. Friday (6-14) after leaving work, I stopped by my favorite Super Target; got there around 5:40 pm. As usual they had nothing good; a ton of Zam Wesells and Clone Troopers on the end cap, and in the actual aisle the same scattered assortment of Tusken Females, Royal Guards, Taun Wes, Jar Jars, and Captain Typhos. The end cap was pretty chock full, but along the aisle, the pegs had like 2 or 3 figures on each one, at most. So, I proceeded to stuff the pegs with 6-7 figs each, and in the process managed to clear out (literally) 15-20 pegs completely. So the aisle looked really barren and in need of a good restock, whereas before it still looked like they sort of a good selection since the figs were so spread out, when they really didn't have much of anything. I also found a Jar-Jar senator hidden under some electronic keyboards...why anyone would hide that fig is beyond me. :D I also cleared out a couple pegs on the end cap. It only took about 5 minutes total, and then I left.

Sunday (6-16) I go back to this same Target. They've put out a couple cases of the Bespin wave on the end cap, which was cool, as I needed an extra Bespin Luke, but then on the aisle....they had spread those same 25-30 pegwarmers out all over the pegs again! Instead of putting anything fresh out on the aisle, like I was thinking they might, they stuffed the new figs onto the end cap and rearranged the aisle to look exactly like it did before. Only new thing on the aisle was a lone Deluxe Anakin, who looked so awful that I couldn't even bring myself to buy him at the sale price of $7.44. Not even for the extra Geonosian Warrior. Oh well. I got my Bespin Luke and 20 dollar Slave I, so I left happy anyway. :)

One cool thing too was that on Friday, I found two Dookus and a Yoda at the very back of a couple of pegs behind some Captain Typhos, so I stuck those right out at the front. They were gone Sunday - hopefully some kids who were still looking for those figs found them, or something.

Darth Narcis
06-17-2002, 01:39 AM
the cloggage is insane, expect in crappy stores like kmart...

Darth Narcis
06-17-2002, 01:42 AM
and i still havent seen a yoda in good shape...

KIDD
06-17-2002, 02:10 AM
I was at my local walmart today and was bored because they didnt have anything i needed so i started straightening up the figures and put all the figures in order all the orn frees on one peg all the dexters on one peg well u get the point and it only took about ten mins and i found some good stuff and gave a couple of kids some figs that were in the back of the pegs