PDA

View Full Version : red wings win game #3 in triple overtime

SWAFMAN
06-09-2002, 12:33 AM
Game started at 8 PM Eastern time & just ended. I'm exhausted, and all I did was watch it. Those players must've lost 10 lbs.

I'm a wingnut, but I have to say that the Carolina goalie, Arturs Irbe, is just amazing.

GO WINGS!!!!!!

2-1B
06-09-2002, 12:40 AM
Unreal, I got back from watching Lewis/Tyson and it was STILL on . . . I watched the whole 3rd OT and I'm not a big hockey fan. But it sure was fun to watch . . . Swaffy were you concerned when Dominator took that rib shot?
That shot in the mouth that Duschene (sp) took was freaky! :(

SWAFMAN
06-09-2002, 01:23 AM
Dom's taken so many flops to try to draw penalties on the opposition, I figured this was another one. From what the commentators were saying at first about him just taking a rest, you could tell they were thinking the same thing. Then, when the replay was shown, I was a little worried until he got back up. I thought it looked an awful lot like the 'Cane who collided with him intentionally bent his knee a bit more when he saw the way the hit was coming, to hurt Dom more. I though that should have been called for a penalty. But, Dom has taken so many blatant dives that it's like "the boy who cried wolf" syndrome for him now. No one believes him any time he goes down, and one day, if he comes back after this season, he could end up laying there badly hurt for a really long time before anyone even comes to ask him if he's okay.

I hope Duchesne didn't fracture any facial bones. But he DID come back out there for the last shift and contribute to the Larionov goal, so hopefully he's okay. Those guy are all so incredibly tough and brave, it makes me feel like a complete wuss by comparison. I'm the same age as Yzerman & Hull, and I wouldn't last one hit against any of them, I'm sure. One hard check in the boards, and I figure my "career" would be instantly over.

And Sean (Shawn?) Hill has GOT to be destroyed. He's a freakin' monster. I hope, if the wings can get ahead by two goals in the 3rd period of one of the next couple games, that Scotty will tell the wings they have his blessing to take a 4 minute major penalty and for them to just absolutely pulverize Hill. Maybe McCarty & Shanahan could board him at full speed from opposite directions at the same time, and hopefully he'd be dumb enough to get up and start trying to fight them both.

I just hope the wings will have anything left after this 3OT game to carry them through the next few.

figrin bran
06-09-2002, 01:26 AM
i watched only the overtimes and i'm drained...someone made a great point in a letter to the l.a. times sports section about how once the Kings were eliminated, the paper eschewed sending reporters to cover the playoffs, instead relying on associated press feeds. anyhow, enough rambling and back to reading SW related posts ;)

JetsAndHeels
06-09-2002, 02:04 PM
SWAFMAN, you are darn right Irbe is amazing!! All of our team is amazing!!
The Red Wings may win this Stanley Cup, but they are NOT going to win it easily. As a Raleigh native and a Canes fan, I know we will not bow down to them and let them walk away with it.
As far as the game last night, I almost got a ticket because I know a guy who works at the ESA and he said he might could get me in. That fell through though because of how tight the security is and how strict the league is being about the large crowds.
I watched the game all the way through the end of the first overtime at a local sports hangout here, then went home for the rest. An amazing game by both teams, although I am dissapointed that we lost.
Well, we may not win the Cup this year, but we have shown the world that we have arrived in the NHL and we will contend!!
Welcome to Mayberry folks!!

JetsAndHeels
06-09-2002, 02:46 PM
Like I said, welcome to Mayberry.

JetsAndHeels
06-09-2002, 02:48 PM
By the way, whats the weather in Detroit right now?

JetsAndHeels
06-09-2002, 03:07 PM
And I just had to post this one.

SWAFMAN
06-09-2002, 04:51 PM
JF96, those are all great pics. I can't speak for anyone else, but as for myself, the 'Canes have definitely earned my respect. Except for Hill, who has earned nothing but my contempt.

My favorite part of last night's game was Irbe dragging one of the wings out of his net and into the corner of the rink. That was priceless. "GET OUT OF MY NET!!!!"

JetsAndHeels
06-09-2002, 04:56 PM
SWAFMAN, this is what the playoffs are all about. Sure Detroit is the favorite to win, but how much fun would we have watching this series if it was all one sided?
I appreciate your respect for my team, as I respect yours. The Red Wings have alot of history and are a great franchise. I think this series really speaks volumes for both teams and cities.
Also, I read your post about your son's ballgame. Congrats to him!! Sounds like he is a true slugger!!
Cant wait until tomorrow nights game.

jjreason
06-09-2002, 06:38 PM
IRBE is only semi amazing. The fact that the Wings can hit 2 posts and 2 cross bars, miss an open net on a 2 on 1, and STILL win it in OT is indicative of the fact that the WINGS RULE!!!!. Only 2 more wins.....
Carolina, however, is more competitive than I would have imagined. This has not been easy for the Wings so far. Shanny's looking pretty banged up and can't buy a marker.

Hasbro'sBountyHunter
06-09-2002, 06:51 PM
That was one loooooooooong, but heart poundig game. I'm disappointed that Carolina lost, though. Irbe was AMAZING! I just hope game 4 doesn't end up the same.

2-1B
06-09-2002, 07:48 PM
Originally posted by JangoFett96
As a Raleigh native and a Canes fan

CORRECTION: "As a Raleigh native and Caniac" ! ! ! :D

SWAFMAN
06-09-2002, 08:37 PM
jjreason: I agree about shanny. He's due for one. He's getting so angry about hs misses, I hope it isn't creating a vicious cycle of psyching himself out. Luc Robitaille is also way past due in this series. Datsyuk sure made a sweet move to the goal with that play where passed to himself between the opponent's skates. Too bad he went 5-hole instead of trying to go over Irbe's right shoulder. Still, a sweet move!

DarthBrandon
06-09-2002, 08:55 PM
GO WINGS!!!!!!

JetsAndHeels
06-09-2002, 09:51 PM
Caesar, youre right: Its Caniac, not Canes fan!!

jjreason
06-09-2002, 11:42 PM
Yes, Swafman, he's due. Shanahan played junior hockey in London where Im from, and he was my sister in law's lab partner in highschool. He's been one of my favorites for his whole NHL career, and I was totally behind the trade that brought him "home" from Hartford. The problem right now is that he's not healed up from the broken thumb yet, and I think it's REALLY bugging him. He's getting nothing on his wrist shots and won't even try a slapper. Good thing they're not lacking in firepower, the checking line is more productive than most teams top guns. After this year they'll need to reassess who's staying and who's going, they don't need all of those big names to be in the same spot next year. Im no HULL fan, but thank jesus for him last night. He is the definition of cool under fire. My brother and my dad were at the Joe for game 2! GO WINGS!!!!

JetsAndHeels
06-09-2002, 11:46 PM
Your Red Wings arent out of the woods yet.
There's a Hurricane Warning in effect for Detroit.:)

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
06-10-2002, 12:11 AM
I caught most of Game 3 the other night, listening to the first 3 OTs on the radio while coming home from dog and cat sitting. Got home and watched the goal by Larionov. My comments below:

*As someone who almost always roots for the underdog (I am as anti-Yankees, anti-Lakers and anti-insert team with extravagant payroll in hopes of buying team as you can get) I am torn by this series. The Canes would be my natural choice to root for. However as someone who lives in the Buffalo area, Dominick Hasek gave the area 9 years of extraordinary goaltending. He turned a mediocre team into a Cup contender. He has won pretty much every major award for his play (Hart for MVP, Vezina for Goaltender) even an Olympic Gold. Although he came close to winning the Cup in 99' he never got it. That is the only one thing on his resume. I didn't even blame him for leaving the Sabres last season. The team wasn't heading in an upward direction, and for someone his age (37) he's got maybe two years left to add one last thing on his resume. If the Wings don't win, I would be happy for Carolina, but sad because Hasek would have wasted another chance.

*The key to the Canes is Irbe. The Wings have consistently outchanced and outshot their opponents. If Irbe can weather the storm and stop all of the rubber thrown at him, then the Canes have a chance.

*As someone who watched Hasek over the years, one way you can beat him is on a rebound. I've noticed over the last few seasons he has been giving up fat and juicy ones. Even on the shots that aren' difficult to manage, Hasek is giving them up. The Canes should shoot from any angle on him. hoping that he does one of his Gumby flop saves and that he gives up a rebound, so that he would be out of position for a Carolina player to poke in a rebound.

*It seems like the road team always wins those exciting multiovertime games. I remember the infamous 'no-goal' game of 99' that took 3 OTs. In fact the radio said that road teams were 10-2 in those games and they had a similar game in overtime games during the finals.

*Isn't ironic that during a 3 OT game (that's 2 regulation games almost) the oldest player on the ice, Larionov scored the winning goal? Logically, he should have been the least likely.

Well, I am rooting for a Canes win tomorrow. I love exciting series.

JetsAndHeels
06-10-2002, 12:17 AM
So far my favorite play of the series for us has been the goal that Rod Brin 'Da Mour scored in game 2. He took it right in and shot it up above Hasek's reach. It seems the Canes have had success with shooting over Hasek, rather than down low.

jjreason
06-10-2002, 02:47 AM
Both of those guys (Hasek and Irbe) must be cold all the time from laying on ice. They go down more than 2 dollar hookers (can I say that?). All the goals in this series have been shot high over the flopping netminder. 2 more games to go and Lord Stanley will smile upon Stevie Y once again.

DarthBrandon
06-10-2002, 12:00 PM
Praise the Lord to that jjreason.

Go Wings Go

SWAFMAN
06-10-2002, 12:54 PM
y'all already know who I'm rootin' for, but Carolina can beat Hasek almost every time if they just shoot backhand into the upper left corner of the goal while driving to the net. Hasek can be superhuman sometimes, but it seems lately he almost almost always lays his right arm's blocker on the ice when a skater comes from his left-to-right, leaving a 2-foot hole wide open above his right shoulder.
I also applaud the 'Canes for so far completely taking the Wings' usual game style away from them. Both teams have had to scrape for every single tiny morsel of a chance, and that must be a heck of a shock to the Wings (especially Federov & Hull), who like their "showtime" breaks and rushes. It seemed like the puck was against the boards, under a scrum, for nearly 90 minutes Sat. night!
I agree with LBC about how interesting it is that the oldest player scored the 3OT winner. I would have thought that a 3OT favored the younger team (can a 3OT favor anyone????).
I can't wait to see if the Wings have found something.. anything(!) to open up the middle of the ice, and get some rhythym going on their penetration (okay, no jokes, folks) through the neutral zone into the offensive zone. But I don't see how they can do that. All the 'Canes have to do is keep playing their same game.

This is a freakin' war. I think the 'Canes are doing great, and these games of battling hard for every single possession are taking a real toll on the Wings - psychologically as much as physically. Tonight's game will show the 'Canes true mettle. We'll see if the 3OT loss has done anything to erode their fighting spirit.

GO WINGS!!!!

Mandalorian Candidat
06-10-2002, 02:30 PM
I have to say that that was about the best game of hockey I've ever seen. Fantastic puck handling, great goaltending by both goalies, good shot blocking by the Hurricanes, and awesome stamina by the Red Wings.

What really amazed me were all the hits. Such a physical game. Even into the third OT they were hitting hard.

I think the final goal just came down to who was in the right place at the right time. It could have gone either way IMO.

I'm so surprised at how well Carolina's played. They remind me of the 1993 LA Kings, but with more oomph.

However, my pick still goes with the Red Wings in six.

JetsAndHeels
06-10-2002, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by Mandalorian Candidat
I'm so surprised at how well Carolina's played. They remind me of the 1993 LA Kings, but with more oomph.

Thats just the thing. Myself and all of the other fans here in the triangle have been watching this great hockey all season. None of us are surprised that our team has done so well. Now the world is finally seeing that we are a good hockey team.

Dooku Fett
06-10-2002, 05:14 PM
Carolina better win that damn cup.
Detroit must DIE!!

JetsAndHeels
06-10-2002, 05:24 PM
Well I wouldnt exactly put it that way Dooku Fett, but I must agree.

2-1B
06-11-2002, 01:06 AM
Swaffy, it looks like 3OTs were just too devastating a loss to come back from. I couldn't watch tonight, so I don't know exactly what happened . . . but the ESPNEWS highlights didn't look too good for the Caniacs.
Yep, they're showing it again and I just saw Ronnie Franchise's ding off the post. :(

Sorry Canes fans, congrats on a great season! Make it a fight, force game 6!

Congrats to the Wings on their eventual Cup!

I hope to follow hockey a lot more closely next season, of course I say that every year but this time I hope I follow thru. :)

Now I just need a favorite team . . .
Wings and Hawks are closest to me, what about the North Stars I mean Wild ? :D
In high school I kinda pulled for the Caps, but I was just a fringe observer.
Whoever can convince me of what team to root for next season has my support! :crazed:

Mandalorian Candidat
06-11-2002, 10:29 AM
This series totally reminds me of the 1993 finals between the Habs and the Kings.

The Kings were the underdogs and noone picked them to go to the finals, but they did. They won the first game and was winning the second game when Marty McSorley got penalized for having too much curve to his stick blade. That was the turning point of the series, because the Canadiens just took over and won that game and the next three.

The Brett Hull deflection goal of game three is the turning point of this series. The Canes lost in 3OT and got blown out in the 3rd period last night. They'll put up a good fight like the Kings did in the last game, but I think the Wings will just stick it too them to finish hard.

Hopefully for the Caniacs, their team will soon return to postseason play unlike the Kings, who waited several years before finally making the playoffs again.

jjreason
06-11-2002, 10:59 AM
You Caniacs can rest assured they'll be back in the playoffs next year. The Canes will clean up in the southeast again, they're by far the best team down there. The stupid choking Capitals are to flaky to compete. Tough team, tough goalie(s). It's not over yet, but the Canes are looking like they've been beat. They tried to open up a little last night and got burned. Noone can play open style hockey with the Wings. I found it interesting the Wings turned the tables on the Canes last night with a little "left wing lock" action for the last 10 minutes. Nicely done, Wings!!!! UNO MAS!

JetsAndHeels
06-11-2002, 03:02 PM
I am just hoping we can win Thursday so at least we can have another game here in Raleigh. Thats all I want!!

Arrogant Arse
06-12-2002, 02:08 PM
As a native Detroiter, all I have to say is GO WINGS!!!

I am very excited that the Wings will most likely win their 10th. Stanley Cup!

JangoFett96...I hope that the love/fanaticism you show for the 'Canes does not fade after this season, and I hope it props up the NHL in Carolina. I think that the NHL has overexpanded, and has teams with weak fan bases(i.e. Florida, Tampa Bay, Anaheim, San Jose). This will lead to financial troubles in the future. There's already talk of a player strike after this contract expires in 2004. It would be a shame if that happened.

Also, I know Irbe is a great Goalie. He beat the Wings when with San Jose back in (I think) 1994. He was aslo my best Fantasy Hockey team member for 3 years, well till he got injured, and we had no IR to put him on.

GO WINGS!!!

JetsAndHeels
06-12-2002, 03:06 PM
Arrogant,
The support for the Canes here has been very overwhelming. Just about every car you see on the road has a Canes flag or sticker. People are wearing the jerseys out here in 90 degree weather. It truly is amazing. The attendance at the games here has been so great and seems to get better every season. I have liked our team from the start, and I will continue to support them.
I have fallen in love with hockey since we got this team.

Croaker
06-13-2002, 09:59 AM
Ever since the leafs were knocked out I've been cheering for Detroit.
Being in England (I'm from Toronto) I haven't been able to watch any of it.
Sounds like great hockey though!!

Mandalorian Candidat
06-13-2002, 11:03 AM
So, anyone want to make predictions on tonight's game?

I say Detroit wins 2-1 with Hull making at least one goal.

billfremore
06-13-2002, 12:32 PM
I predict the wings will win and mercifully putting an end to a series that has been slightly less lop-sided and boring to watch as the Lakers-Nets series.

Nice to see that money can still buy you a championship so all the rich teams will still believe it's possible to win by overpaying free-agents.

Remember the old days when you didn't know or care how much a player got paid?

JetsAndHeels
06-13-2002, 10:29 PM
Congrats to all the Red Wings fans and to the city of Detroit. It was truly a great series.

SWAFMAN
06-13-2002, 10:52 PM
:D

Congrats to BOTH teams on a great finals.

Farewell to Scotty. No cliche to say that this is truly the End of an Era. But no one will ever go out on a finer note than he.

Will Hasek follow Scotty?

Only about 15 weeks until the new season opener!!!

:shakes JangoFett96's hand:

JetsAndHeels
06-13-2002, 11:50 PM
:shakes SWAFMAN's hand in return:
Congrats on your team's Stanley Cup.
I'm going to have some good memories of this one.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
06-14-2002, 12:08 AM
Congratulations to both teams on a well fought out series. Just thinking what might of happened if Carolina was able to hold the lead in Game 3. We might be looking at a whole different outcome.

Congrats to the Wings who assembled a team full of tried and true players and they got better and better as the playoffs wore on. As Bettman said, hand them the keys to the hall of fame.

Scotty Bowman, what a career. Certainly a legend in his sport and one of the best coaches in all of sport. It is hard to imagine the NHL without him, the first time since 67' I believe. Hope he enjoys his retirment.

To the Hurricanes, your team put together a surprising and amazing run. Your fans were very, very, very supportive and you certainly won over their hearts. Hope that Carolina becomes a continuing and future hotbed of hockey.

Can't wait for some more puck action, preseason is only 3 months away.

jjreason
06-14-2002, 01:55 AM
Yay for hockey. It's always good to see a new team get somewhere for the first time, and to hear that the fans are really getting it. Hopefully for JF96 this isn't another Florida Panthers deal. In my heart I think the Hurricanes will do well next year. The core of the team is young (except Ronnie Francis) and should bowl over the weak southern division next season. Congrats to both teams, and a special shout-out to Scotty Bowman, Dom Hasek, Luc Robitaille, and Steve Duschesne - the first never seems to lose, the rest never won until now. Super job.

figrin bran
06-14-2002, 01:57 AM
congratulations to the Detroit Red Wings! as a Kings fan, i'm happy for Luc Robitaille.

Arrogant Arse
06-14-2002, 08:17 AM
JF96, If I had to root for 1 Eastern Conference Team, it'd be Carolina. If 2 it'd be Caolina and Ottawa. I second what JJreason said, DON'T LET THIS BE A FLORIDA PANTHERS THING!!! If it was, we wouldn't be able to see Cheerleaders at a COLD hockey game.
:D Plus, it made for great hockey.

High Fives JF96

not to gloat, butWE GOT STANLEY!!

We also got a bunch of guys about to retire. Carolina can have it next year

Mandalorian Candidat
06-14-2002, 11:41 AM
So, anyone want to make predictions on tonight's game?

I say Detroit wins 2-1 with Hull making at least one goal.

Hey, I called it. OK, Brett Hull didn't get a goal. Yes, I know it was 3-1, but the last one was an empty netter.

It was really great to see the Dominator raise the cup, but even better to see Luc do it too. I've been wanting the Kings to win for sooooo long so I'm glad at least he got a shot before retiring. Blake got it last year, now Luc, Gretzky again in 1994, Zhitnik with the Stars.

I guess if you want to win you have to let the Kings trade you to another team. :)

SWAFMAN
06-14-2002, 04:21 PM
so, who will be named head coach for the Wings?

My preference would be that assistant coach Barry Smith would take it for a season, maybe two, but with the understanding that Yzerman would take the job as soon as he retires.

mrhat
06-14-2002, 04:38 PM
Well, all i have to say about the Red Wings is that they may be the most expensive hockey team to ever play the game, and they may be the suckiest, but any day of the week, they can kiss my ***. GO AVS!!!!!!!!!! RED WINGS SUCK, TOO BAD THEY BOUGHT THE STANLEY CUP THIS YEAR, THAT'S WHY THEY HAD TO PAY ABOUT 67 MILLION IN SALLARIES THIS YEAR ALONE!!!! THEY CAN'T RELY ON SKILL, SO THEY FALL BACK ON MONEY!!! HAHAHA, THAT'S WHY DETROIT HAS NOTHING BETTER TO SPEND THIER MONEY THAN A BUNCH OF OCTOPUSES AND SOME CRAP *** FANS!!!!!! ROY FOREVER!!!!!!!

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
06-14-2002, 10:16 PM

Hey, I called it. OK, Brett Hull didn't get a goal. Yes, I know it was 3-1, but the last one was an empty netter.

It was really great to see the Dominator raise the cup, but even better to see Luc do it too. I've been wanting the Kings to win for sooooo long so I'm glad at least he got a shot before retiring. Blake got it last year, now Luc, Gretzky again in 1994, Zhitnik with the Stars.

I wished Zhitnik had won the Cup but he was on the losing side with the Sabres in 99.' Gretzky's last Cup was in 88' as an Oiler before he left to L.A. I still see your point MC, you could add Steve Duschene and Daryl Sydor to that list to.

Mr. Hat while I dislike teams that blatantly open the pursestrings to buy high priced players, you can't forget that the Avs who you cheer for, have a team that is in the Top 5 for payroll too. One could have accused them of trying to buy the Cup.

mrhat
06-17-2002, 05:41 PM
:) Good Point. The Av's have shelled out quite a bit of money, but very few of the current Av's players have been imported in the last year. The Av's do shell out quite a bit of moola, but they are Av's-not just rich hockey players who would move anywhere for more money. Plus, compare the list of superstars on the Av's and the Canes to that of the Wings-big difference. That really was a good point though,:Pirate: :greedy:

JetsAndHeels
06-17-2002, 06:46 PM
Last time I checked, the Hurricanes had a payroll of about 34 million dollars. The Red Wings doubled that with their roster.
But who here can dog them for this? Isnt that the name of the game? No, I dont think game is the correct word. Let's try business. Thats what it really is to everyone in every organization. To people like myself, Mr Hat, Swafman, and everyone else who loves hockey, it is a game. But the people in the head offices and the others who run each club see it as a business. A Stanley Cup means more money to them, but to us it means respect for our team.
I am dissapointed that the Hurricanes didn't win the Stanley Cup, but I cannot blame Detroit for spending the money to get the team that would win them the title. Obviously it is the right thing to do, being that this is their 3rd title in 6 years.

mrhat
06-17-2002, 08:50 PM
Well i guess i really cant dog you all i mean the avs got beat for the western conference finals by the champs, my hats off to you! no pun intended... Congrats to the wings, i am just that avid avs fan that wears lucky clothing during the games... Congrats no hard feelings next year yall, nest year!

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
06-17-2002, 10:54 PM
Originally posted by JangoFett96
Last time I checked, the Hurricanes had a payroll of about 34 million dollars. The Red Wings doubled that with their roster.
But who here can dog them for this? Isnt that the name of the game? No, I dont think game is the correct word. Let's try business. Thats what it really is to everyone in every organization. To people like myself, Mr Hat, Swafman, and everyone else who loves hockey, it is a game. But the people in the head offices and the others who run each club see it as a business. A Stanley Cup means more money to them, but to us it means respect for our team.
I am dissapointed that the Hurricanes didn't win the Stanley Cup, but I cannot blame Detroit for spending the money to get the team that would win them the title. Obviously it is the right thing to do, being that this is their 3rd title in 6 years.

JangoFett6, as much as I hate teams like the Yankees, Redskins, and the Red Wings (I only rooted for them because of Hasek) I do have to agree with your assessment on the owners of these teams. Many owners do see the bottom line. They want their teams to win but they also want them to show a profit. If that means clamping down on the team's payroll, then many will do that.
For those owners who have a deep passion (Mark Snyder, Illitch, the guy rom the Mavs, and Hicks of the TX Rangers and Stars come to mind) about winning though, making a profit seems less important then. They will spend an ungodly amount of money (see A-Rod) to try to make their team win. We often like to see these teams flop, and some do (the Skins, the Rangers of NHL and MLB) but you can't fault them for what they are doing. If they have the means and if they are willing to take the risk of painful humiliation for losing, then let them spend their money.

JetsAndHeels
06-17-2002, 11:10 PM
I was watching Sportscenter a little while ago and they had a story on how the Seattle Mariners were able to replace Ken Griffey Jr. Its funny that Jr was supposed to bring the Reds back to greatness but instead he has missed 30% of his games there due to injury.
The Mariners, on the other hand, were able to go out and acquire new stars. In fact, Jr's departure made way for this guy named Ichiro. Interesting, he ends up being the AL rookie of the year and helps them get to the playoffs.
The point is teams use their financial means to get big-time players and increase their chances to win big. In the end it comes down to which team has the best roster and the most talent.