PDA

View Full Version : Anyone has bought the Republic Gunship?

humsup
06-09-2002, 10:28 AM
I was just wanting a review of this piece... Is it really worth the dough?

Sgumm
06-09-2002, 11:32 AM
I came into some cash about 6 months ago and ordered one from lego. I had more fun building this one than any of the others. I spent a solid 5 hours building it over the period of 3 or 4 days. It cost me roughly 215 with shipping, but I think it displays even better than the UCS x-wing. For as big and heavy as it is, it is sturdier than I expected. As far as detail I beleive they really nailed it on this one. All and all I wish I would've known they were going to put them in stores, I probably could've saved a few bucks via Ebay. I would think you could find one there and get it shipped for about 180 or so. Hope this helps.

LTBasker
06-09-2002, 01:37 PM
I haven't got it but it looks like it's the best of all the E2 Legos, I'm really trying to find a way to get it, especially since it comes with 4 Clone Troopers and 2 Super Battle Droids. :sur:

fourtwo
06-09-2002, 03:42 PM
i haven't picked it up as i'm waiting for later in the year so i can space my lego binges out a bit. its so expensive up here so its kinda been a deterrent. looks like a fun set to build, i just wonder where i'll put the darn thing
:)

Sgumm
06-09-2002, 06:42 PM
Just noticed I gave you a review of the Tantive IV. Sometimes I wonder where my brain goes. I have the Republic gunship but I'm waiting until I have a place to display it before I put it together.

humsup
06-09-2002, 09:18 PM
Thanks for the input... TANTIVE IV huh? I haven't see this set at retail in my part of the world yet and I have no doubt its the best looking set ever.
Coming back to the Gunship. I have spotted one of the specialty shop here selling it at half its price but with the 4 Clonetroopers, 1 SBD and the Jedi removed from the set. However, the Destroyer Droid and 1 of its SBD is still in the set. You think this set is still cool without its minifigs?

Warstar
06-10-2002, 04:49 AM
I think the Rep. Gunship is cool without the mini-figs, personally. Heh- if you don't want that 1/2 price set, I'll take :D

I like the ship a lot- it's pretty sturdy, but I don't know...

You can order Hasbro's version that's bigger for $38.88 at Wal-Mart.com...granted it's not Lego, but yeah.

I do recommend getting the Lego one even without the figs- it's a nifty piece :)

ACPin
06-11-2002, 12:28 PM
You can see it here (http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/ACPin/SW-2002-Sets/arepublicgunship_01_24.jpg) and also here. (http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/ACPin/SW-2002-Sets/arepublicgunship_12_23.jpg)

JaZzYjaZZ
06-11-2002, 09:56 PM
Hi humsup, thanks for introducing me to this forum :D

I feel the Republic Gunship is the arguably the best set for 2002...trying to get my hands on one, the half price set would do fine if it was still available. :p

humsup
06-11-2002, 11:54 PM
Welcome jazz :D
I'll check it out for you the next time I visit the shop again. But like I have mentioned before... they do "manufacture" the set if there are genuine buyer bcos they are ready to let me have an Imperial Shuttle for a knock down price too... but I hesitate as I already have too many white bricks.... I really need some grey ones - light or dark :)
Hope you enjoy the stay here.

JaZzYjaZZ
06-12-2002, 10:42 PM
humsup - What do u mean by 'manufacture'? I might be going down there today to check it out. I wonder how much are they selling the Imperial Shuttle...will inform u later :)

joeroy
06-13-2002, 09:24 AM
Kenny,

I see we have a new member. Hello JaZzYjaZZ care for intro? I am Leroy collecting SW Lego since 1997. What about you?

JoeRoy

JaZzYjaZZ
06-13-2002, 09:48 AM
joeroy - Hi Leroy, my name's Ted Kwan but can call me Ted or TK. I've been a figure collector since 94 or 95 but right now don't have that much SW Lego. Btw, I think SW Lego was first released in '99 :)

joeroy
06-13-2002, 09:14 PM
Opps, yep should be SW Lego should be 99. I was surprise that you did not collect any of the SW Lego may I know what is your Theme?

JoeRoy:o :confused:

humsup
06-13-2002, 11:35 PM
jazz - I think I've answered your questions yesterday on the "manufacture" thingi huh? The shuttle is great isn't it... especially at that price :)

roy - yeah, I get to know JAZZ in another forum and we have went LEGO hunting yesterday. Seems like there's no more discount at Taka anymore as well as Robinsons, John little and OG. Tough luck on us LEGO people :(
And I've got accepted into FBTB Forum too only yesterday.

joeroy
06-14-2002, 02:43 AM
Kenny,

Taka sale for Lego had ended?? I thought Great Singapore Sale just started and the now it is end so fast leh??

Anyway, if you still looking for SW Lego let me know, going hunting again.

JoeRoy

JediTricks
06-14-2002, 03:38 AM
Welcome aboard new people, sorry I didn't welcome you before now. :)

BTW, I've been building and collecting Lego almost as long as I've been collecting air in my lungs! :D 22 of my 27 years at least.

JaZzYjaZZ
06-14-2002, 05:01 AM
joeroy - Theme? U mean non SW? Some City, some pirates, western and Aquazone. Not really alot too. Star Wars wise, I'd just like to get everything which looks nice on display and of course with good replay value :)

humsup - Yep quite like the Imperial Shuttle...but I told u about some of the flaws in it right? Nevertheless it still looks good..

sunblind
06-20-2002, 08:37 AM
I've got mine that i've been working on for 2 days now. i tell ya, this is probably the best and the most fun i've had putting together a lego.

and as you can tell i'm still working on it....and the clonies are helping...you know how they are, they're good at taking commands.

sunblind
06-21-2002, 11:57 AM
Well it's day 3, working on the Republican Gunship. Those Clonies sure do know how to help.

JediTricks
06-22-2002, 04:19 AM
See, the reason it's taking so long is you have little 2-inch-tall Lego men building it. It takes them 20 minutes just to get a 2x1 plate into place and then double-check the instructions to make sure they got it right. Perhaps if you stepped away from your position as "foreman" and actually did some work... :D ;) hee hee

LTBasker
06-22-2002, 01:16 PM
Don't even have proper technicians working on it. ;)

sunblind
06-24-2002, 01:59 PM
Heres what they did on day 4.

sunblind
06-24-2002, 02:02 PM
Here's day 5. Slow, but they doing the job right.

LTBasker
06-24-2002, 02:11 PM
I wanna know how they got those huge cannons up and the wings without any visible cranes. :D

sunblind
06-24-2002, 02:27 PM
Well I have it all on record. I could go back through the data base and show you that.

Well, here's the End of Day 5. (Frontal Shot)

JediTricks
06-25-2002, 01:02 AM
Wow, I would have thought it would have taken more time, what with their feet constantly getting stuck on the Lego studs. :D

Cool job on the photos, very entertaining!

sunblind
06-27-2002, 08:26 AM
Well, I'll add some new shots of the making of the Ship tomorrow, be on the lookout. Should be good. Those are some good clones I've got, I think.

JediBoulton
06-27-2002, 09:40 AM
Hello everyone -- just thought I would put my two-cents in. I picked the Gunship up last week. I sat in front of the TV and took about 2.5 hrs to put together. First off, its great how they sectioned off the ship into 9 Bags of building pleasure. It started with the body -- then the front of the ship, The wings, then the cockpit. This set comes with, as mentioned, 4 troopers, two super battle droids, an Anakin, and a destroyer droid. GREAT PLAY VALUE. Now I want the Tantive IV and the Falcon kits. I think that this lego Gunship might even outrank the plastic Gunship due out later this year. Hope you all enjoy...

BTW -- I have seen the Tantive IV at Target for $199.99 -- This is a little high for my pocket -- but I am hoping for one of those %25-%50 off sales to hit soon :)

underdog25
07-22-2002, 11:01 PM
The Gunship is really cool. I added 13 more Clone troopers to it and now it looks just like it should. I was missing one of the black rods that hold teh guns together on the wings. It took Lego about 7 days to get one to me. A VERY nice set and worth the cost.

JediTricks
12-27-2002, 10:04 PM
I got this set as a present and built it on Christmas night, took me about 2 hours start to finish, and that included shooing the cat away every few minutes. ;) The instructions did a fairly good job except for pointing out where some stickers go, and I accidentally opened bag 9 instead of 6 and didn't notice for a few minutes until I ran out of parts way early - something to be said for doing it the old fashioned way where you simply busted it all loose and did more searching. ;) This build went way faster than the Falcon even though the RG has a few more pieces, partially due to the fact that there's not a lot of "risky building" (that's what I call it when they make up build a section that's all floppy for a bunch of steps and doesn't get shored up until much later so it keeps falling apart during the build).

The finished toy itself is pretty cool, some good old-style features like the drop-out cargo box and splitting nose to reveal more play area. The pop-up sensor dealy doesn't wanna stay on its 2x1 plate-to-technic thing at all, but that's a minor situation. The opening door/flaps is really cool and the rear computer station on the arm is neat. The engine is cool too, and it's nice to be able to pull the upper section off of the ship. This is probably the most stand-alone "complete" set in the Ep 2 series, it has no odd pointless gaps and doesn't require further building unlike Jango's Slave 1. However, I still enjoy that set a little more than this one simply because of personal tastes. On the RG, there are 3 turretted cannons, 2 on the nose and one in the rear, but none of them have much range of motion. The side-mounted turret balls are half-balls on this toy, but it still makes sense and since it's Lego, you can remove them if that's to your liking.

All in all, I would say this set is "worth it", but would be more "worth it" if it were about $15 cheaper. ;) It's big and has a lot of mini-figs (4 clone troopers, 2 kinda cheesy Super Battle Droids, 1 build-it Droideka, and 1 happy Jedi), can be flown around the room or displayed, and looks fairly accurate.

Oh, and why did my set come with a small cardboard box containing 2 black capes and a green translucent stud?

neonblade
12-28-2002, 03:21 PM
I was able to pick one up at discovery store for $50. Great deal for at least $50. I would have payed $75 0r 80 at most but not $90. Looks great and has a lot of play potential

JediTricks
12-31-2002, 12:12 AM
Nice price!!! The release of the Geonosian Fighter really adds fun to the gunship, now it has something to fight with beyond mowing down my army of Ep1 Battle Droids. ;)

JediBoulton
01-07-2003, 09:20 AM
Thought I would put this here rather than start a new tread !! -- The GUNSHIP is on SALE at TARGET for $34.40. They were all red tagged and were all up high on the shelves. This was the case in two targets here in Dallas Area. Good Hunting!!

sith_killer_99
01-07-2003, 12:15 PM
One of my local Targets had it priced as low as 23.XX, and strangely enough it too was hiding on the top shelf.

IG65
01-09-2003, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by sith_killer_99
One of my local Targets had it priced as low as 23.XX, and strangely enough it too was hiding on the top shelf.

I don't suppose I could get you to pick a couple up for me for trade or cash? :D I have been putting off getting that set but that price is great!