PDA

View Full Version : just got a job....but i have a great delima...

hango fett
06-09-2002, 09:32 AM
i get paid $3.00 an hour (whcih is fine eith me.) and i can only work 5 hours a day since i'm under 16 (i'm 15 1/2.) in one week i would make 75-90 dollars. (that is if i work 6 days. they are closed on mondays..)

what should i do? save up my money and get dookus lightsaber and/or anikans. or should i get the rest of the figures i need out of the pack? (it would take me 3 weeks to get the money for them all....i need 25 more..)

what should i do?

QLD
06-09-2002, 10:06 AM
Well, first of all, do you work for tips? Because the minimum wage here in Georgia is 5.75. I can't imagine it being 3.00 anywhere. Unless you work for tips, that is the only way legally that people can pay you below min. wage.

Anyway, I have the dooku saber, it's not that great. Of course, neither are a lot of the figs. But, I say go with the figs.

hango fett
06-09-2002, 10:14 AM
well, i'm pretty sure i work for tips as well, but i can't be 100% sure...but 3 is enough for me at this time...just be happy with what you get...

linsjedi
06-09-2002, 10:17 AM
but hey Dong are you this kids age? more than likely not with a screen name like that.

maybe dooku's lightsaber would be cool for him to get. but i do agree with you about the figures. get them first and then go back and pick up the misc. stuff.

by the looks of the lightsabers they should be hitting clearance in the next few months. so wait till then to pick up all the sabers.

linsjedi

bigbarada
06-09-2002, 11:19 AM
$3.00 an hour? What kind of job is that? Who are you working for? Kathy Lee Gifford?:D

Anyway, linsjedi is right, the lightsabers will be hitting the clearance racks soon enough, so I'd concentrate on the figures.

odi-wan windu
06-09-2002, 11:31 AM
ouch. kathy lee..

Exhaust Port
06-09-2002, 11:41 AM
If it's a seasonal job you can legally be paid less than minimum wage. I had mine about 11 years ago working at an ice cream stand. There were only open during the summer months so they qualified to pay us less than minimum wage. I think that I too was getting $3/hr. Of course that was in '91 dollars, minimum wage was only $4.15 and I think that there has been inflation since then. :rolleyes:

I would try and negotiate a better payrate. $2.75 below minimum wage is too extreme. It sucks being under 16 though as your options are limited.

As for the toy question, go for the figures.

BobaFett
06-09-2002, 11:53 AM
Ohhh, I forgot you were Americans. I get paid 7.50 Cnd an hour. Go get figs lightsabers aren't that hard to find.

LTBasker
06-09-2002, 12:33 PM
I'd the figures, considering you get littler versions of the lightsabers with the figures! :D

DarthBrandon
06-09-2002, 12:42 PM
I would get the figs if I was you Hango Fett . They are much harder to find if you are behind in the collecting. The lightsabers I believe will be on clearence in a few months and there are lots of them, not so with the figures.

JediTricks
06-10-2002, 01:46 AM
When I was 15 and a half, I got a part-time job, it legally had to pay me no less than minimum wage and that was '91. $3 an hour is illegal to pay anybody over the table here in Cali, I thought it was national too.

In any event, I wouldn't suggest spending your hard-earned cash on either electronic saber unless you REAAAAALLLLLLLY want them, they're slightly shorter blades than POTF2 and Ep 1 sabers, and if they're anything like those, they're gonna go on clearance in a couple of months anyway. If you like the figs, get the figs, but with your low finances, get the ones you really like first and then concentrate on other issues.

saladin
06-10-2002, 02:08 AM
I;d go with the figures, the light sabers aren't that hard to find.

2-1B
06-10-2002, 04:14 AM
Save your money, and blow it during the school year !

Soon after school starts, you'll have all sorts of activities to participate in, things like Homecoming (gotta have a few $$$ when it comes to the ladies ;) ) and such. Plus, you're almost 16 - will you be driving? One figure will get you a few gallons of fuel (I'd have to do the math to be precise - considering figure price drops, gasoline price influxes, and fuel taxes in your state) but you get the point.

When I was 16, we were just over a year away from POTF2 being released. Oh, did I ever blow my checks on vintage figures, filling in my long-gone childhood collection! (on average, I was paying $3 - 5 a piece, incomplete and non mint of course)
Would I do it again? No.
Well, maybe a few here and there, but not as much as I did . . .

Good luck with your summer job and with whatever decision you make! :)

hango fett
06-10-2002, 06:18 AM
the only problem for me is that i can't find a anikanins lightsaber anywhere....