PDA

View Full Version : The mock Hasbro thread

Jargo
06-09-2002, 03:10 PM
Dear Hasbro,
Well you're little exercise in pointless gimmicks didn't pay off did it? Ninety percent of people hate them and even the kids hate them too. Shot yourselves in the foot with this turkey of an idea. Best put it in the trash can with all the other bad ideas. So as a penance...

Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock ...

Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock Mock

I told you so. You should listen to me more. Silly silly Hasbro. :rolleyes:

Beast
06-09-2002, 03:29 PM
Emporer Jargo, I'm suprised at you. You're usually much more refined and british in your roasting of Hasbro. :D I think your way off on your 90% estimate though. Sure, some of them are pretty craptaculer, but not all of them are bad. But I will agree, that they need to make sure they don't do anymore lightsabers sliding out of arms and quick draw features like Padme. The one that came on Zam is much much better. Hopefully Han's is more like Zam's. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

LTBasker
06-09-2002, 04:05 PM
From the pictures of the back of the card it looks like it's Padme.

The saber slashing, gun slinging, and lightsaber blade energy blasts need to stop very badly. If you're gonna keep the magnets, at least be sure to not do them like you have been with the protruding ones, you could easily do it like Bespin Luke's magnet in his hand, it does help secure the metal lightsaber in his hand but it's shoved inside his hand which is great because you could seal the magnets inside the hand and so they'd help the metal lightsabers stay there without any lacking detail.

Putting them in the hand would make the people who like the magnets happy (since all they're really good for is securing the metal sabers) and the people who don't like the magnets won't have anything to complain about either because they'd be hidden and not causing any detail to lack plus they may not even notice it, therefore not having anything to complain about on the magnets for that part.

Beast
06-09-2002, 04:12 PM
I think it's more likely that it's closer to Zam's, as Han has a button for the blaster drawing action. Where as Padme just stays up all the time, and doesn't lock in place. I hope so, I don't mind the one on Zam at all. And for people that don't like Han's gimmick, there has been other Han's that can be used.

Actually, from what Hasbro said at Cel2, that's what they are going to start do with the magnets. Actually putting them inside the hand, so that they arn't visable at all. I think that most of us can agree that is an ok solution, if they keep the magnets. And the change to a peg hand on Luke: Bespin made the magnet haters happy as well. :)
MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Lman316
06-09-2002, 06:11 PM
Actually, Han's is a mixture of both Padme and Zam. When he's locked, his right arm is down (and you can't use his arm this way, it just says loose). And when you hit the droid controller/button, his torso twists and he raises his gun. It's pretty cool - and it's definitely a better looking Han Solo.
But what I noticed on him, and on Zam, is that the shoulder that houses the "quick draw" action is elevated. One shoulder is up and other is down. It makes them look funny from the back because you don't necessarily have to have one shoulder higher to aim a gun :p.

End :).

Adam
06-09-2002, 06:51 PM
Down with the magnets! I can't put hardly any of the new figures on my moniter because of them!

mylow thehutt
06-09-2002, 07:08 PM
I heard the new Aaly Scernce twe-lek jedi will have a kicking gimmick,what a good way a ruine a figure,also Jar Jar were do e-maile hasbro,I want to ask them why they put the gimmicks in.

LTBasker
06-09-2002, 07:23 PM
I think Aayla Secura will have the articulation so you can make her kick. I think the articulation is in her thighs and is like the POTJ Rebel Trooper's knee articulation.

Beast
06-09-2002, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by mylow thehutt
I heard the new Aaly Scernce twe-lek jedi will have a kicking gimmick,what a good way a ruine a figure,also Jar Jar were do e-maile hasbro,I want to ask them why they put the gimmicks in.
No, Aayla Secura doesn't have a kicking gimmick. She has extra articulation so that she can be posed normally, as well as posed in a sidekicking pose. Lemme drag up the link to the info and pictures here in the forums and at Rebelscum.

http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7464

http://www.rebelscum.com/article.asp?i=8654

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

mylow thehutt
06-09-2002, 07:37 PM
I hope she looks as good in plastic,as in the drawings.

Jargo
06-09-2002, 08:15 PM
Well jar jar, i could have blasted at hasbro again but this thread was aimed more at fostering a nicer attitude towards hasbro than of late. I think that mock mock mock is far beter than *!$%*&@%@!! for thirty words. I've done that and it didn't really get me anywhere did it?

But, I don't mind magnets in hands, that is kinda funky. It's the quick draw and slashing actions that need to go. The features that disallow other poses or other kinds of play. The features that mean a figure is mutilated by the button in their back. Zam had a really tiny button but even with that it annoys the heck out of me that her arm is useless because of that feature. I'm so put off buying either padme or Han because they have the feature and I left Luke and Vader on the shelf because of it. I really wanted that Luke too but I can't bear what they did to a great figure sculpt. If they just kept up with the better articulation and lesser poses instead of scene specific poses they'd pretty much have next to no grumblings from most people. These figures with articulation and decent accessories are what we've been crying out for for so long, there's really no need to over egg the pudding with silly features as well. I would have been over the moon to get a duelling Anakin that was simply articulated well. I and kids can do the fight poses ourselves and waggle the arms around ourselves which is what play is avout, not having the movement dictated to you and having how you can play dictated. That's what Hasbro has done with these figures, they took away the rights of kids to an active imagination. Alls that left is some automaton like response sort of play. There's very little you can actually do with the feature laden figures. Figures without features but with articulation instead lead to a fertile use of the imagination and that leads to a very agile mind. By encouraging free play rather than dictating it in a sterile way Hasbro would be helping to combat the lethargy and tardiness seen in most high school leavers these days. Start them off young and fire up the creativity. Help halt the lazy fatazz blobiness of the world that's taking over. We got too much convenience junk to contend with already, i don't want to see the last bastion of freedom - play swamped by convenience toys that do it all for you. I want the kids in my world to know how to create play for themselves rather than sit like morons in a psychiatric ward doped up on Macdonalds fat burgers and watching tv glassy eyed while dumbly pushing a button so the toy can do the playing for them. That aint the way I'm willing to allow the world to go. Hasbro should be mortally ashamed of themselves for even dipping a toe into this area. What are they saying to kids - collect them all and then sit back while the hardware does the work dfor all you lazy candyazz bastards? That sucks to be perfectly honest. Lets give kids the ability to think freely and learn how to make choices that are informed not dictated. Give them back the ability to play like we had as kids, That should be a mandate of starting a family, that parents who fail to imbue this quality into their progeny should be penalised. Lock up the dull parents I say, lock up the dull lazy selfish parents who fail their kids. Lock up the company executives who tap into that laziness. They are undermining society.

Rant over. Make of it what you will. I'm going to bed.

2-1B
06-09-2002, 08:36 PM
The gimmicks are silly. It is nice to see that not every figure has it, but then I can only think of how many more might be better without gimmicks! :crazed:

Speaking of silly, Hasbro why didn't you give Deluxe Ani a robe? Every Geo Warrior that he slices meets him in his full regalia. :frus:

JediTricks
06-10-2002, 01:30 AM
Ok, here's me mocking Hasbro:

"I'm Hasbro, I'm a big stupid giant toy-company-eating corporation who makes terrible decisions all the time and I don't even know what kids want even though I am a toymaker and I can't allow creativity to get out of my headquarters without mucking it up in at least one way and I stink like a Rancor's... breath!"

;)

N-2PF
06-11-2002, 03:01 PM
The 3 3/4" is no playing toy. It's for collectors only. Try the 12" for playing.

Jonna
06-11-2002, 03:05 PM
It is not a doll, it is an Action Figure!! Pay attention.

Jonna
06-11-2002, 03:16 PM
And it's not a comic, it's a Graphic Novel!!

Do people really say these things and mean them!?! Well, I hate it. I like to play with SW dolls. Yes you heard me I said DOLLS. I dress them up and have little tea parties. Then we go for walks and talk to the birds and chipmonks and play hide & seek in the woods. Then we make funny little pirate hats out of newspaper and they make me walk the plank.

Damn, my sarcasm level is running on full.

Jargo
06-11-2002, 03:57 PM
Strange that it's actually the other way round, 3 inch is a toy and the 12" figures/voodoo dollies are the collector items which is why there are so few of the horrid thingies made and they cost so much. The whole reason for the small scale figures is that kids can afford them with their pocket money/allowances.

I said all that without an ounce of irony. God, that must be a first. :rolleyes:

N-2PF
06-11-2002, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by Jonna
I like to play with SW dolls.

Here's one for you.

N-2PF
06-11-2002, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by EMPEROR JARGO
Strange that it's actually the other way round,

Yes, sounds strange to me. But it doesn't have to be that way.

3* inch is a toy and the 12" figures/voodoo dollies are the collector items which is why there are so few of the horrid thingies made

Playing needs quality. Collecting needs quantity.

One 12" Vader performs all the poses, you need multiple 3 3/4" scene-specific pre-posed Vaders for.

and they cost so much.

You get much more plastic for the money with 12".

The whole reason for the small scale figures is that kids can afford them with their pocket money/allowances.

The reason for the 3 3/4" invention was to make them fit in the ships. But that was vintage. Nowadays they are not made to fit in their ships.

LTBasker
06-11-2002, 08:12 PM
Ya know, if they had never done what they did with the saber-slashing or the gun drawing, well no one would want them because no one would've really thought about them being on SW figures like that.

The whole thing about Zam is that we still lack a version of her that we can put in a Nightclub scene with her casually sneaking up on Obi-Wan with her blaster half-drawn. Instead the Zam figure is doing the 50 yard dash to him with her blaster right out there.

It's frustrating to collectors when they can't get their Zam figures in the speeder - How do you think kids feel when they can't get their Zam's to look right for a good speeder chase - and their Obi-Wans and Anakins will hardly go in the Hotrod.

sideswipe1984
06-13-2002, 03:45 PM
Jargo,

I couldn't have expressed my feelings any more succinctly or eloquently than you have in this thread. Bravo. Now, if only Hasbro could get this idea through their skull.

Jonna
06-13-2002, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by N-2PF

Here's one for you.

Actually I have that one MOC and I am selling it on scum-bay for "Five hundred dalla". Did anyone catch the Bubbleboy reference?:D