• MythBusters Takes on Star Wars Tonight!

      MythBusters will air a Star Wars themed episode tonight, January 4th, at 8/7c!

      Updated video:

      Buy the hottest collectibles from: BigBadToyStore.com and BriansToys.com.


      Comments 10 Comments
      1. JediTricks's Avatar
        JediTricks -
        My DVR is already there!!!!!! The semi pushing those cars was my favorite in the clip though.
      1. JediTricks's Avatar
        JediTricks -
        That was pretty good. Kari Byron in the R2-D2 dress was a nice touch, and Sophia Bush as Leia wasn't as bad as I expected, she was a good sport.

        The irony about the chasm swing myth was that in real life, the harness Carrie Fisher and Mark Hamill was connected to ripped on takeoff and they actually DID swing across the way it looks in the movie, that's why the kiss for good luck scene preceding it is so rapid-fire, they couldn't do another take.

        I didn't really feel like the grappling hook myth was fair, if you look at the area that Luke is throwing to, there's a lot of stuff that could have been grappled, it didn't require a precision shot - Jamie's first toss grappling a railing proves that, it'll hit SOMETHING and grapple around it.

        The armored car was my favorite, that was awesome, I'm glad they pulled that off even under sub-optimal conditions. I think the Ewoks could have set up that trap given enough time and leverage.

        I always thought Han's shelter on Hoth that he mentions was a tent on the back of the Tauntaun's saddle, not an ice cave. Still, myth confirmed either way.
      1. Snowtrooper's Avatar
        Snowtrooper -
        Missed out on it. For some reason I thought today was the 4th. Guess I'll catch it on a rerun.
      1. morpheus282's Avatar
        morpheus282 -
        Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks View Post
        That was pretty good. Kari Byron in the R2-D2 dress was a nice touch, and Sophia Bush as Leia wasn't as bad as I expected, she was a good sport.

        The irony about the chasm swing myth was that in real life, the harness Carrie Fisher and Mark Hamill was connected to ripped on takeoff and they actually DID swing across the way it looks in the movie, that's why the kiss for good luck scene preceding it is so rapid-fire, they couldn't do another take.

        I didn't really feel like the grappling hook myth was fair, if you look at the area that Luke is throwing to, there's a lot of stuff that could have been grappled, it didn't require a precision shot - Jamie's first toss grappling a railing proves that, it'll hit SOMETHING and grapple around it.

        The armored car was my favorite, that was awesome, I'm glad they pulled that off even under sub-optimal conditions. I think the Ewoks could have set up that trap given enough time and leverage.

        I always thought Han's shelter on Hoth that he mentions was a tent on the back of the Tauntaun's saddle, not an ice cave. Still, myth confirmed either way.
        All I can say about Kari & R2 is that there was a bit of rewinding involved in that segment.

        I'm sure someone will have set them straight over the chasm swing on the Mythbusters website by now. If not, then we're slacking as a community.

        I think the size of the logs was a bit over estimated, but it was still a cool segment.

        I also thought that the Tauntaun myth was pretty much common knowledge as plausible/confirmed. Maybe they just wanted an excuse to build & disembowel a Tauntaun...
      1. bigbarada's Avatar
        bigbarada -
        Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks View Post
        I always thought Han's shelter on Hoth that he mentions was a tent on the back of the Tauntaun's saddle, not an ice cave. Still, myth confirmed either way.
        Yeah, I think Han specifically mentions putting up a shelter as he's cramming Luke into the belly of the Tauntaun. Putting Luke inside the Tauntaun was just to temporarily raise his body temperature while Han assembled the shelter.

        In order to survive that experience, Han and Luke would have both had to strip naked and press their bodies together the entire night to keep from freezing to death. Sharing body heat with another person is really the only way to survive such an ordeal.

        Now there's a potential diorama for somebody to put together.
      1. El Chuxter's Avatar
        El Chuxter -
        Quote Originally Posted by bigbarada View Post
        Now there's a potential diorama for somebody to put together.
        Shh! Don't give Tycho ideas!

        I'm thinking that Rule 34 dictates someone has made an image of this, even if it's not a diorama.
      1. JediTricks's Avatar
        JediTricks -
        Quote Originally Posted by morpheus282 View Post
        I think the size of the logs was a bit over estimated, but it was still a cool segment.
        The logs were if anything under-estimated because those in the movie were much longer. I also took issue with their native state being 30 feet apart instead of meeting, but it worked out none the less.


        Quote Originally Posted by bigbarada View Post
        Yeah, I think Han specifically mentions putting up a shelter as he's cramming Luke into the belly of the Tauntaun. Putting Luke inside the Tauntaun was just to temporarily raise his body temperature while Han assembled the shelter.

        In order to survive that experience, Han and Luke would have both had to strip naked and press their bodies together the entire night to keep from freezing to death. Sharing body heat with another person is really the only way to survive such an ordeal.

        Now there's a potential diorama for somebody to put together.
        The episode mentions building an ice cave shelter, which is plausible without having to share body heat, and they assume it'd take 2.5 hours minimum to make an ice cave. I prefer the idea of a tent.
      1. morpheus282's Avatar
        morpheus282 -
        Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks View Post
        The logs were if anything under-estimated because those in the movie were much longer. I also took issue with their native state being 30 feet apart instead of meeting, but it worked out none the less.
        I agree that the logs in the movie were much longer, but I think that they were also a smaller diameter. They probably could have gone with oak logs 1/2 to 1/3 the diameter and twice the length and achieved similar if not the same results.

        Quote Originally Posted by bigbarada View Post
        Yeah, I think Han specifically mentions putting up a shelter as he's cramming Luke into the belly of the Tauntaun. Putting Luke inside the Tauntaun was just to temporarily raise his body temperature while Han assembled the shelter.
        Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks View Post
        The episode mentions building an ice cave shelter, which is plausible without having to share body heat, and they assume it'd take 2.5 hours minimum to make an ice cave. I prefer the idea of a tent.
        At the end of this clip (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXmp1hLK0tY) we see Han using some tools off his Tauntaun's pack. I couldn't find anything on youtube to support it, but I'm pretty sure that when the patrol finds Han & Luke the next morning a tent-like shelter can be seen. It's pretty safe to say that a military unit in an extreme cold weather environment is going to carry emergency shelters and heat sources that can be erected in less than 2.5 hours so I'd consider that a glaring omission by the Mythbusters fact checking department.
      1. El Chuxter's Avatar
        El Chuxter -
        I always assumed Han and Luke shared a sleeping bag, their body heat, a bottle of champagne, a Barry White record, and a lovely evening.
      1. JimJamBonds's Avatar
        JimJamBonds -
        Quote Originally Posted by El Chuxter View Post
        I always assumed Han and Luke shared a sleeping bag, their body heat, a bottle of champagne, a Barry White record, and a lovely evening.
        brown-chicken-brown-cow!*








        *you have to say that kinda fast for it to "work."
    • Recent Forum Posts

      OC47151

      3 3/4" figures Rogue One

      I had Jyn, Sabine and the robot in my hands this morning and the local WM wouldn't sell them to me. There was at least a case on the pegs...which read

      OC47151 19 Hours Ago Go to last post
      El Chuxter

      Transformers: Energon & Beyond

      I'd posted earlier that I was liking the characterization of Megatron. This, however, turned out to not be enough.

      I didn't even finish the

      El Chuxter 1 Day Ago Go to last post
      El Chuxter

      Star Wars Rebels - Season 3

      This season is only one 5-minute episode, right?

      Because, unless they completely neutered him, Thrawn will destroy the main characters in

      El Chuxter 1 Day Ago Go to last post
      El Chuxter

      I was watching Episove IV on TNT and they were speeding it up!

      I hate that so, so much. It's as bad as trimming down A Charlie Brown Christmas to get in more commercials in the most anti-commercial show ever made.

      El Chuxter 1 Day Ago Go to last post
      Droid

      I was watching Episove IV on TNT and they were speeding it up!

      I was watching A New Hope on TNT tonight and it was really jarring. I first I thought it was just super duper Special Edition changes, and then I realized

      Droid 1 Day Ago Go to last post
      Tycho

      3 3/4" figures Rogue One

      I'm going to probably just use R1 figures in my regular movie scenes, like Jyn and Cassian being E7 Resistance troops in the background when Poe lands.

      Tycho 1 Day Ago Go to last post
      JediTricks

      Transformers: Energon & Beyond

      We watched the first couple, holy crap were they bad. Like appalling '00s fan film bad.

      JediTricks 1 Day Ago Go to last post
      JediTricks

      Star Wars Rebels - Season 3

      I don't have anything in my press releases for the app's release date, sorry.

      Just posted the article with some clips from the 2-part episode:

      JediTricks 1 Day Ago Go to last post
      Bel-Cam Jos

      3 3/4" figures Rogue One

      Hasbro's product goons will now be heading to your home, Tycho.

      I'll likely pick up some figs here and there. Maybe.

      Bel-Cam Jos 2 Days Ago Go to last post
      figrin bran

      Transformers: Energon & Beyond

      Mercifully, the Combiner Wars miniseries is over now. Really hope a Titans Return one does not get made because CW on all accounts and facets was exceedingly

      figrin bran 2 Days Ago Go to last post
    Single Sign On provided by vBSSO