Why are Metal Cards so awesome ?
I just love them and I can't believe I waited so long to get into them!
A few summers ago I snagged the Bounty Hunters set, a nice little package for about $7 that included 5 bounty hunter cards + 1 Special Edition card of Jabba. I really was happy with this purchase, so I'm not sure why I didn't bother to track down more . . . until recently, when I bumped around eBay, scoring several sets of Metal Cards. I got:
- Jedi Knights - nice little set just like the Bounty Hunters, with 5 Jedi cards + Special Edition Wampa
- Series 1 A New Hope - 20 card set in a nice metal tin with individual plastic slots for each card plus a numbered COA. Same setup applies to . . .
- Series 2 The Empire Strikes Back
- Series 3 Return of the Jedi
- The Art of Ralph McQuarrie - very cool set, if Hasbro does well with their Sketchtrooper I bet they could run with some of Ralph's other designs!
Do you have any of these sets?
Do you like them? Hate them? Find them not "cardy" enough, what with their not even being made from cardboard and all? :D
I was reading though some old Insiders (issues in the late 20s) and saw the Movie Series sets mentioned above in the Jawa Trader. They had them at about $50 per set ! :eek: I paid between $10 and $20 for my new sets (6+ years later), and they were all sealed. I know the Trader was always a bit high, so can you tell me what they retailed for when they were first released?