All the above worries are seriously a surprise to me.
With at least a dozen hotel stays every year - and me quite often looking for "Budget" rooms and the likes (except when Holiday Inn Express or Best Western are available - I rather like them), it's hardly a big deal.
I used to live in LaMesa (my old apartment where SirSteve had stayed with me many years ago at prior Comic Cons) and it was near San Diego State and only the average amount of crime went on in the area - and none of which I can recall being witness too - though I was once paranoid some guy stole my phone and my underwear. (Didn't turn out to be true.)
Now I live in San Diego, but usually loathe having house guests for Comic Con. In 2006, I had too many - people sleeping on the floor in the living room, my cats getting scared from the people over and crapping and throwing up because they were distressed from the change to what they were usually accustomed to - and me having to be quiet in my living room / kitchen area when I wake up in the middle of the night and want to make myself something to eat and bang around doing laundry and dishes - or the cat boxes which have to be done when I'm not actually at Comic Con.
It got to be too much, really fast.
As it is, I am unable to work right now, because I am cleaning up so that I can at least host Steve in my spare room. On the extra bed are boxes of my Star Wars or Transformers that I need to drive 40 minutes round trip to return to my storage so that I can uncover my 2nd bed to sleep on.
While working from home, I NEVER keep a tight house. I write and do my thing and don't worry about it when I live alone and almost NEVER have company over - or can have at least the living room and one bedroom clear for a short visit.
So now I'm losing work time on my writing and delaying when my 2nd novel will be ready for review and instead preparing my house since there's just under a month out until the con. I am seriously irritated to do all this, plus load the truck for multiple trips to the storage, buring gas and hours I could spend otherwise. I've been starting to hate comic con every year because of this.
I swear that if I weren't so broke right now due to my business expenses, I'd just live in a hotel and say F-it.
Yeah it does seem that way! :p
Originally Posted by figrin bran
Thanks, and you too. When are you actually going to be down there, and what of those days are you going to the con at this point?
If I could avoid hotels like that, I definitely would - and I did try to, although the place I had been staying the last few years almost certainly would end up in your list if it had an adjective in the title ;) - but at this point and on my budget, I have no choices left, I couldn't find anything within 40 miles as good or better than where I ended up, not even close actually.
Originally Posted by TeeEye7
I really would prefer not to carry pepper spray, just the thought of that is a bummer, and I'd probably fumble it or blast myself in the face (I bet my asthma would go into overdrive just breathing near it). Maybe I should bring an FX saber, I hear those as well as some of the new blue and green lasers have scared off criminals in the past decade. Hey, I know, I'll bring my pistol-shaped infrared thermometer, it has a laser sight! :D
Can hardly wait.
Originally Posted by JediTricks
I'm surprised that there is no screening of a DCAU direct to video movie, a Friday night staple of the schedule. I looked forward to seeing The Dark Knight Returns part 1. Maybe it will get added later, though I wonder if it could fit on Friday night's agenda. Maybe it will go to Thursday or maybe it just won't get added. It couldn't screen on Saturday night.
Originally Posted by JediTricks
Friday I haven't even looked at yet and I already know a frustration for me, the Firefly 10th anniversary panel is 12:30p and since it's Star Wars day, that's probably when Hasbro's panel will be, or something I need to cover. I think it sucks that they put Firefly up against SW.
Weird about no DC animated movie this time, what do they have in the pipeline?
Ok, so here's my Thursday interests, 1 dash means very important, 2 dashes means not so much, and !!! means very important but counterprogrammed against something I have to attend.
Wed: (Preview night)
- - maybe Arrow pilot, probably not tho.
- IDW & Hasbro (Transformers comics)
- - TheOneRing.net's visit to The Hobbit (counter-programm'd! That was fast, my very first panel.)
- - Trailer Park
- - Stan Lee's World of Heroes (probably just another not that great project, but Stan Lee! Plus Mark Hamill will be there)
- - MAD animated (why am I looking at a Kids Day logo on Thursday???)
SQUEE! Twighlight gets a 12:30 hall H panel, I can't wait! To wonder WHY THE HELL THEY DID THIS AGAIN!!!
- - DC Collectibles from DCD
- - Voltron
- Hasbro Transformers (Oh fantastic, put the OTHER transformers panel 2 hours later and on the opposite side of the convention center, great plan. Ugh, it's Archer and the new brand head, Jerry Jivoin, no other designers.)
!!! ST:TNG's convertion into HD (aaand, damnit. I really wanted to go to this one.)
- - Bill Plympton how-to (ugh, would have liked to have seen that one too, my first triple-counter)
- - Disney studios Frankenweeinie, Oz, and Wreckit Ralph (kinda wanted to know more on these as well, geez, a quadruple! At least I don't have to brave Hall H right after Twilight tho.)
!!! Psych (NOOOOOOOO!!!!! This is umpossible! A quintuple, and I never miss this panel!)
- - 1982 Greatest Geek Year Ever
- - The Two Editors (Harvey vs Archie comics, FIGHT!)
- Hotel Transylvania (I was gonna give it a 2-dash but it sounds fun enough to put into a high rank slot)
- - Time Travel fact or fiction (oh good, something to argue with)
*Picketing* - - Elementary (everything so far has looked like a great panel to picket loudly. I was gonna go in and boo them, but why wait in that big blrm20 line?)
- - Expendables 2 (or maybe I'll go do that instead)
- Archer (Awww yeah!)
- - Klasky Csupo (really? I'll put it on my backup list just because I can't even believe it's going to happen.)
- - The Bill Finger Story (kinda torn here, part of me wants to do this but... ARCHER, I can't miss that!)
- - Canon Fodder (ha, punny. I'll probably end up at this.)
- Rifftrax (and then I saw this, sorry Canon Fodder.)
- The Batmobile (a panel about the upcoming documentary? I'm all over it!)
- Spike & Mike New Generation (DAMMNIT! What the hell, counter-programmed evening panels?!? I missed this last year, so I may actually pass on Batmobile. :( )
- - Comic Con Ep IV (the documentary I reviewed earlier this year, I am curious to see if they fixed anything in a final edit.)
All in all, a mixed bag, some space but also some troubles.
The Dark Knight Returns parts 1 & 2. I thought there might be an official announcement for Flashpoint, which was leaked by Kevin Conroy.
Originally Posted by JediTricks