Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How exactly does one FIND a scalper anyway?

Not that I'd ever buy from them, but I mean where do they sell from? Do they hang around the isles looking for collectors, and then approach them? Do they sell to comic stores for high prices? Flea Markets?

This has just never been too clear to me
    With one wing, one can only fly in circles

Lets see, where to find a SCALPER???

-Uh, eBay is a good source, anyone sell for more then around 10-20% over retail I concider a scalper.

-Comic shops, most shops allow ppl to sell out of there for a cut. If you see an outragious price on a fig, scalper

-Flea Markets, usually someone with a whole buch of toys on the table, in plastic boxes of some sorts, with little white tags that say $100 for a orange carded "Monkey" Leia, or something like that.

-Collector or Memorbillia(sp) shops in the mall, scalper Hive!!!!

-Seedy-lookin ppl at yard sales who's eye light up and they start to drool uncontrolably at the sight of any vintage or early POTF figs, scalp . . . . . . . . oh wait, that's me
    Come see Dar' Live™ Aug 12-15 in Orlando!!!
    You're slower than a herd of turtles stampeding through peanut butter.
    Hackers in hollywood movies are phenomenal. All they need to do is "c:\> hack into fbi"

sometimes you can even find them in the parking lots of targets, WM's, Tru's as i'm sure many of us can attest to.
    Red 6 or Bust - 2005 SSG Fantasy Football Champion
    bith tannen - 2006 SSG Fantasy Football Champion
    red 6 - 2008 SSG Fantasy Football Champion

You'll find them on eBay or other online auction sites with outrageous first bids or high reserves. Some comic book stores scalp by walking across the street, buy figures from the orginal store and then turn around and sell those same figures for quite a markup. Some online stores/sellers could be considered scalpers in their selling practices. The act of scalping can be found in all sub-cultures of collecting.

Basically any sort of secondary market (not the original store of purchase) venue is full of "scalpers." Sometimes the word scalper is thrown around a bit too loosely, aimed at anyone who sells a figure at a markup. Well, at some point a figure's value does rise and there for it'll cost you more.
    "No one helped me so why should I help you?" - College professor circa 1999

By choosing not to decide you still have made a choice.

I'm in love with the women of Univision.

Originally posted by Exhaust Port
    Sometimes the word scalper is thrown around a bit too loosely, aimed at anyone who sells a figure at a markup. Well, at some point a figure's value does rise and there for it'll cost you more.
    You are correct and I should have clairified myself a little bit. I ment for the newer figs or the HTF (if you cann call it that) and 10-20% is fine, but more and I have a problem. Now for the older figs if someone has a "Valued" $100 fig and they are trying to sell it for $200, its scalping in my book. But of course the "value" is really determined buy what you are willing to pay. Someone may pay $1000 for a FF Weeque because it completes his entire collection(hey, it could happen). I would never pay more then $25 for a fig I wanted and I haven't. The last time I spent more then retail for a fig was $20 for a orange carded Greedo b/c I really liked the character and I could not find the green carded anywhere. This was also b/4 the CTC Greedo.

So, I should have been more clear in my respons
    Come see Dar' Live™ Aug 12-15 in Orlando!!!
    You're slower than a herd of turtles stampeding through peanut butter.
    Hackers in hollywood movies are phenomenal. All they need to do is "c:\> hack into fbi"

For me- If someone is selling an item for more than retail, when it is still avaliable at retail= scalper. I really don't have a problem with people asking $30 for a Swimming Jar Jar now, because you can't get it elsewhere. But I bet the majority of these people have horded them since the day they were released.

Best way to find a scalper (besides EBay), in the toy isle. When you show up about 2 secons to late. Just in time to see a guy cart off a basket full of Han's and Chewies. Doh!

=MATT=
    * General Disclaimer- I can't spell or type- Deal with it.

Some items do appreciate in value because of rarity; but I am under the firm belief that any figure released after 1995 should still be available for under $10 if you look hard enough.

However, you can't expect someone to sell a carded 12-back Darth Vader for it's original $1.89 retail price. That figure is worth much more than that for it's rarity alone.
    "To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence… When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

You can find a scalper by going to www.ebay.com and doing a search for AOTC rare anything that comes up is from a scalper. There u go in a nutshell.

billyjack
    Please go post here http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=10037 If you WANT A HERMI ODLE FIGURE!!

My Needs
    My Stuff Back( you know what i'm speaking on)
    Loose ctc stormtroopers
    sandtrooper blasters

but, what if they are legitamently selling your collection peice by peice on ebay, then are you a scalper?
    What!?

If you want to catch a scalper:

1) Go to your local WM Star Wars aisle
    2) Get a large box (really big... some scalpers are very large)
    3) Prop up one end of the box with a stick
    4) Tie a string to the stick
    5) Place a Yoda or Dooku under the box
    6) Holding one end of the string, go hide in the barbie aisle
    7) When you feel a tug, pull the string.

Bingo! You've just caught a scalper. I recommend you feed him nothing but bean sprouts and 'Big K' orange soda, and walk him twice a day.