Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Outside SSG, banging on the window furiously, yelling "LET ME IN!"
    harry potter , Lord of the Rings, and AOTC are gonna rock. I'm a little leery of SpiderMan. That one better not suck.
    Who's a sexy kitty? Who is? Yes, you are. You're a SEXY kitty...

PHONE BOOK Written by Bendis. Art by Jim Lee. Total copies sold: 15 billion.

"Comic Collecting. Miss a decade, miss a lot."

Originally posted by ThomasLane
    Actually, the reason I'm so pumped for LOTR is that it's been my favorite story of all time, and they're finally going to make a movie out of it (the cartoons don't count, mainly because they suck!). Sorry Mr. Lucas, but I love Tolkien's classic just a little bit more.
    Balsphemer!

Originally posted by Eternal Padawan
    harry potter , Lord of the Rings, and AOTC are gonna rock. I'm a little leery of SpiderMan. That one better not suck.
    Who is producing this movie? If it's the same people that did the last Batman movie, I'll stay far away from it.

Originally posted by master jedi

Balsphemer!
    Ouch! If it weren't for Ep.1, SW would probably hold position #1 in my heart. I liked the movie, but it just wasn't "Star Wars" (or "A New Hope" as it is now called). And the "beam me over a blood sample so I can get a midichlorian count" crap belongs in Star Trek.
    Thomas Lane
    tlane@parlant.com

Question

I don't know who is producing Spiderman, but Sam Raimi (Evil Dead Trilogy, Darkman, etc) is directing it.

I have a question for those avoiding spoilers.

Do you consider officially released information to be spoiler info, or just anything beyond that?
    ubi mel ibi apes

Yes, even stuff from the official site which is confirmed is still spoiler material.

The Spidey flick is being produced by Ian Bryce and Laura Ziskin, exec produced by Marvel boys Avi Arad and Stan Lee, and being put out by Sony/Columbia. Laura Ziskin has produced some of my choices for "weaker films of the past 25 years" - What About Bob, Hero, Pretty Woman, and DOA '88 - but the other producer, Ian Bryce, has produced some pretty good stuff - Almost Famous, Saving Private Ryan, Speed, and The Beverly Hillbillies film from '93. However, Bryce also wears "associate producer" credits for Batman Returns, Howard the Duck, and... ugh... Ewoks: Battle for Endor, so we could be in for a real mixed bag. I hope Spider-Man doesn't suffer from the same over-indulgencies that Batman Returns did.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Originally posted by JediTricks
    and... ugh... Ewoks: Battle for Endor,
    Hey, don't knock that movie. My kids absolutely love it (though they don't care much for the first "Ewok Adventure" movie)
    Thomas Lane
    tlane@parlant.com

I'm not too worried about who produces a film. Aside from Bruckheimer, there aren't a lot of BrandName producers who name suggests a certain type of product. The same thing goes for the studio. Sony (Columbia and Tristar) have had their share of hits and misses just like every other studio. Sony hasn't "sucked" any comic book franchises yet the way Warner Bros has so I'm optimistic. I'm just leery of Raimi's directing and the stars performances. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE Sam Raimi. Who doesn't like Army of Darkness and Quick and the Dead? I even liked For love of the game and I hate baseball movies. But his quirky "low budget" feel to films might not work on a slick polished film like Spiderman. It makes me nervous trying to mesh those two styles. And I also thoroughly enjoy Tobey McGuire, but can he really pull off that snappy, comic patter that defines Peter Parker? Tobey always comes off as ultra laid back and almost catatonic in his films. Again, it will be tough to mesh those two styles. Kirsten Dunst, I'm indifferent to. Unless you find the absolute perfect person for that role (and she's not it) all the young hollywood chicks are pretty much interchangeable in that role. Dafoe will be subservient to his makeup (anyone remember Tim Roth in POTA? Waste of talent...) Add some spotty CGI(like in the trailer) and cutting half the effects shots out of the film halfway through production and you've got yourself a dubious project. I'm not saying I'm not hoping for the best, but I am preparing to be let down.

And now we've got Ben Affleck miscast in Daredevil and boring Ang Lee( am I the only person who realized Crouching Tiger Hidden Wires was overrated??) directing the Hulk. We are running out of viable frachises. I can't wait for Iron Man...

Well hello boys being the that started this forum, I now have A tottaly diffrent view of this little situation. Once again I have read to many spoilers this time for LOTRs and I am very unhappy now I understand that to make A movie from A book that you have to cut out alot and change some things and throw in some new stuff, but form the trailers I have seen and things I have read they are cutting the greatest books of all time to shreds this Liv Tyler crap come on those that have read the books she is playing Arwen,Elrond's daughter yeah the one thats in the book for two sentences! On one trailer I saw here defending Frodo in the ford from the Nazgul. Come on what the crap! the whole point of that scene is to show you how powerful Frodo is even though small. He had to escape form them even with the knife in him, but now its all right Arwen will save you and you can be A pansy! Bring on Episode II Bring on the clones Star Wars is the best and forgive me for saying negative things about our beloved story now pumped and kinda dumped for LOTRs. I gues i'll have to watch the movie for the movie and totally forget the books for a couple of hours.....
    "One day I will become the most powerful Jedi (Sith) ever." Anakin Skywalker, Epi.II

Yoda is forever my hero now...

They cut out the minor character that rescues Frodo in the river and carries his tiny butt back to Elf town and replaced it with Liv "we paid a lot of money for her, maybe we ought to use her in the picture" Tyler. But I've read quite a bit that since they started shooting and editing, they are getting closer and closer to the story than what they originally screenplayed and Tyler is being edited out more and more especially in the first film. I still don't see how she is in the second film's climactic seige at [whatever it's called]...

Eternal one, that would be Helm's Deep. You bring the most encouraging news for LOTR I have heard in A long time I so pray that they cut out the Liv at the ford seen and do it right! Being the hard core Tolkien fan that I am I don't mind Tom cut out and such,but to add stuff makes me really peaved. Like Lurtz I don't mind because they are making A whole lot of nameless characthers in to one "Lurtz" as easy as Liv is to look at she is only mentioned in the Fellowship twice and of course at the end of ROTK, but never in the TT Elrond's sons whom play A huge part in the end aren't even at Helm's Deep why would she be there? Anyways thanks for the info Eternal one!
    "One day I will become the most powerful Jedi (Sith) ever." Anakin Skywalker, Epi.II

Yoda is forever my hero now...