Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hiding Figures

Exclamation Hiding Figures

So someone on the boards posted about telling a newbie to look for "hidden" figures. You know the rare ones people hide behind other stock in the toy section until they have the money to purchase them. Well, I was totally ignorant to this practice so I decided to look around the local Walmart to day and see what I could find. I was suprised to find 6 figures in the Barbie section and Clearance aisle. I must say that the selection behind the toys are nicer than those still on the pegs. I now have a new method to my toy hunt. Thanks guys, this is great!!

Yeah...I've got a little story about hiding figs.

Back when I still didn't have a Dooku I was in Target and right as I walked up to the SW aisle, a kid was standing there with the only Dooku they had in his hands. I looked around, found a couple other figs I needed, and looked at the kid, who was just standing there with the fig in his hand, looking around nervously. I was thinking, is this kid gonna steal that figure?

So I walked over to the Legos, then back over to the Saga figs and noticed the kid had walked off. I didn't see the Dooku in his hand so I looked at his pockets as he walked off...didn't look like he had stolen it. Then it hit me - he had hidden it. Well I tore that darn toy aisle apart for a good 5 minutes looking for that Dooku, until I noticed that in this big stack of ugly toy keyboards, one of them wasn't pushed up against the wall of the shelf all the way - I lifted the askew keyboard up, and presto! There was the Dooku. Little rascal, trying to hide figs from me.

I grabbed Dooku and the other figs and proceeded to the register, and as I was walking to the front of the store, the aforementioned kid and what looked like his little brother came TEARING excitedly down the aisle past me, heading for the SW figs, with their dad in tow, trying to keep up. I felt like holding out the Dooku as the kid passed by, and going Hey, looking for this? Ha-ha. Then I felt sort of bad when I thought about how long that kid and his brother probably looked for the Dooku he thought he hid. Then I thought, Hey I'm a paying customer too, and that kid could have taken the figure to a register and had an employee hold it for him. Then I didn't feel bad anymore.

But anyway yeah, as soon as I skim the pegs, I immediately start looking behind the toys adjacent to the SW stuff....then I proceed to the other toy aisles on either side of the SW aisle, and check those real fast as well. You never know where stuff will turn up. I hid a Royal Guard all the way over in the chips & snacks section of Wal-Mart some days after 4/23, and it was still there 2 days later. :happy:

Good traders/sellers: pthfnder89, jjreason, bobafett07728, TK421, Lord Tenebrous, DahrJin, baby 01, Lman316, jonboy, swfreaker

Be surprised what you will find hidden in the toy dept. Tons and Tons of things are hidden everyday and when you find them it's kinda like easter all over again.
    THANKS FOR THE AT-TE & FALCON HASBRO. NOW IT'S TIME FOR A LARGE TANTIVE IV!

That was my Dooku!!!!!

Actually I just love to look for these hidden pots of gold, and then put them back on the pegs where they belong. Then you get someone back in a few hours later, tearing the aisle apart. I go up and ask, "Help you find anything??", knowing full well what they are looking for. They they are like, "Uh, I put . . . . uh, . . . . . . no", and walk off in defeat. I love it!

Another good place to look is over in the furniture dept in the displays. I have found many a figure there.
    Come see Dar' Live™ Aug 12-15 in Orlando!!!
    You're slower than a herd of turtles stampeding through peanut butter.
    Hackers in hollywood movies are phenomenal. All they need to do is "c:\> hack into fbi"

I don't get it though, if you are gonna come back the very same day, or in a couple days to buy the figure, why not either take it to the front desk, or spend an extra 1.00 and throw them in layaway. I'm sorry, I just find it crazy to think especially at Wal-Mart anyone would have to hide anything. I have since 1995 when Star Wars came back to toy stores, always had curtious store folk that will kindly hold stuff a few hours, or a day or two.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks
    THE SPY. THE SPACEMAN. THE GODDESS. THE ROBOT. THE GORILLA.

AGENTS OF ATLAS - Returns in Early 2009.

JarJar- you are that parent figure who is always teaching us the proper ways to collect!! you crack me up!!

anyway, i remember back in the day draggin' my girlfriend at the time to go hunting and after seeing the displays had nothing i wanted, i would glance around behind other figures, checking behind stuff on the bottom shelves and whatnot and she is like "what are you doing?" and i'd explain it to her and she'd roll her eyes. Until the day i pulled out a new POTF2 figure, she realized i wasn't messin' around. I haven't hid figures in a while though, prolly cause nothing new is out yet!!! (goes off ranting to himself quietly...)
    "Woke up at 9.55am. Soon as I woke up, I looked at Suzanne and she looked at me. I said, 'Did I tell you about the immune system?' Suzanne starting laughing, I said, 'it's amazing.' She said, 'Not now.'"

Originally posted by JarJarBinks
    I don't get it though, if you are gonna come back the very same day, or in a couple days to buy the figure, why not either take it to the front desk, or spend an extra 1.00 and throw them in layaway. I'm sorry, I just find it crazy to think especially at Wal-Mart anyone would have to hide anything. I have since 1995 when Star Wars came back to toy stores, always had curtious store folk that will kindly hold stuff a few hours, or a day or two.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks
    Mine was sort of a spur of the moment thing. I was walking to the front with some stuff, and decided I didn't want the Royal Guard quite yet, and I was too lazy to go all the way back to the toy aisle (it was one of those massive Super Wal-Marts), and I happened to be near the snack section, so I ducked into the aisle real fast and stuffed it behind some bags of chips. Then a couple days later I happened to be in the same Wal-Mart and remembered I had put a fig there, so I went to check just to see if it was still there (as they had no more Royal Guards on the pegs) and lo and behold, there it was.

Good traders/sellers: pthfnder89, jjreason, bobafett07728, TK421, Lord Tenebrous, DahrJin, baby 01, Lman316, jonboy, swfreaker

During the last clearance of POTJ toys at Target, I found a deluxe Leia in, of all places, men's undergarments. I was going to put it back on the shelf, but instead I put it on a peg in women's undergarments. It just seemed comical at the time.

I wonder if this particular collector had also taken a look at the Darth Maul boxers...
    "It's bombs away for Iraq and on our civil liberties if Bush and his cronies get their way. Dissent is patriotic!"
    - Helen Thomas, veteran journalist

Journalists are mostly centrist in their political orientation. The minority of journalists who do not identify with the "center" are more likely to identify with the "right" when it comes to economic issues and to identify with the "left" when it comes to social issues.

Originally posted by JarJarBinks
    Only flaw there is when a kid might be at Wal-Mart with a friend or just went in to get something specific like a magazine or something but didn't have enough and I'm not sure but I think theres an 18+ age limit on lay-away and I don't think people would trust a kid very much to come back the very next day as they might think the kid were pulling their legs to get a cheap laugh so hiding figures might be the only way in that situation.
    "Hokey packaging and ancient gimmicks are no match for good detail on your figure, kid."
    "I am a Klingot from Oklahoma in human boy form."
    "We came, we saw, we conquered... We, woke up!"

I used to always hide figures back in the POTF2 days. For some dumb reason, I would buy a lot of my figs at the local Payless Drug Store. I distinctly remember hiding a Luke in Hoth gear. That place was such a rip-off though. It was like eight bucks for a fig and it's still like that at the Rite-Aids. Now-a-days it's either I buy it or I don't, I'm not prone to hiding 'em, all though I did help my friend hide the new Plo Kloon in a pair of jeans at Target recently.
    "Flanders was a zombie?"

-Homer Simpson

Dar' Argol is a good guy to trade with!!!