Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Exclamation Palpatine's Plan Boiled Down

Here is what we know so far:

Palpatine wakes up one day and decides to take over the galaxy. (pre-TPM)

Senator Palpatine enlists the Trade Federation to start a scuffle on Naboo. (TPM)

Palpatine wants Queen Amidala to sign a treaty with the Trade Federation. (TPM) Why does he need this treaty signed and what would the treaty actually do if it was signed? And how would a mystery treaty between Naboo and the Trade Federation aid Palpatine in taking over the galaxy?

The situation seems to work out in Palpatine's favor when Amidala escapes to appear before the Senate. Now he can influence her to be the motivating factor in removing Valorum from the Chancellor's seat, which happens. (TPM)

Now Palpatine is "in charge" of the Senate. (TPM)

Presumably, Palpatine enlists the help of Dooka and possibly Sifo Dyas to build a clone army. In political terms, what does this do for Palpatine's plan to take over? Why begin construction of the army before he knows for sure that he can "make it legal?" If his plans didn't work out (either through the bill to make it legal or by maneuvering his way into getting special executive powers) (b/n TPM and AOTC)

Nute Gunray, possibly with the urging of Palpatine, attempts to assasinate Amidala before she can stop the official go-ahead for a clone army (which is being constructed anyway). (AOTC)

With the assasination attempts thwarted, Palpatine gets Amidala to leave Coruscant believing that she will be absent during the critical vote and/or because he knows that simple minded Jar Jar can be influenced to hand over the special "executive powers" to Palpatine. (AOTC)

Palpatine specifically suggests that Amidala be protected by Obi Wan Kenobi. Why Kenobi specifically? Is he assuming that Anakin will be there too? Does Anakin's presence with Amidala have anything to do with his intricate plan? (AOTC) Has Palpatine already weaved Anakin into his plans at this point or by this point? What purpose would Anakin have for Palpatine in his "new order?"

Those are the main bullet points as far as I can tell. Jump right in to fill in the blanks if I missed any and fire away at those questions regarding the main highlights of his plan as we know it. Please don't just deal with only one of the points or questions as all of them relate to each other in chronological order. Please quote each bullet point and each question specifically and deal with them individually in order. Thanks!

Palpatine's plan is so brilliant that the details don't matter - they all arrive at the same end. For example: In TPM, if the TF got Amidala to sign the treaty, it would establish a precedent that would outrage many planets, contributing to the appearance that Valorum is a weak leader. Palpy could have easily found someone else to call for a vote of no confidence in Valorum. It just so happened that Amidala was there to manipulate. Also, the outcome of the Battle on Naboo didn't matter in the least. It was merely one example of the discord sowed by Palpy throughout the republic. By the time AOTC rolls around, many such conflicts resulted in those thousands of seperatist systems breaking away. Palpy is controling both sides: the republic as chancellor, and the sepratists through Dooku as Darth Sidious. It doesn't matter who wins the Clone Wars, Palpy wins either way. His goal is the extermination of the Jedi using Anakin. Dooku's just a pawn. Yoda says the sith use treachery, lies, and deceit. Palpy is a master of all three. He's playing everybody, Yoda included, and they don't even know it. Palpy couldn't have cared less if Amidala was killed, but since she survived, he knows that she's just one more way of turning Anakin. If she had been killed, he would have easily found another way: his fear over his mother, his angst over Obi Wan, hell, the death of Padme would have been great too if it had occured as planned.
    Hating aurra sing since 1999.

Yea and don't forget he is possibly behind Schmi's death as well. I would see that nothing is by accident of how things are going down.
    No matter how I die, even if there is a suicide note; it was murder. Cheers!
    MWHAHAHAHA!

Originally posted by scruffziller
    Yea and don't forget he is possibly behind Schmi's death as well. I would see that nothing is by accident of how things are going down.

Thanks for the input, but I was hoping for a serious and methodical step by step examination of Palpatine's plan for galactic takeover. The details certainly are very important and the point of this particular discussion. Thank you for your cooperation.

Originally posted by stillakid

Thanks for the input, but I was hoping for a serious and methodical step by step examination of Palpatine's plan for galactic takeover. The details certainly are very important and the point of this particular discussion. Thank you for your cooperation.
    I posted that on my break at work when I had a small amount of time, I promise I will come back and DEFINATELY do it that way.
    No matter how I die, even if there is a suicide note; it was murder. Cheers!
    MWHAHAHAHA!

Re: Palpatine's Plan Boiled Down

I'm just going to add in a couple of ideas here (not try to extrapolate an entire thesis on the plot points of the prequels).

The mysterious treaty that Palpatine wants signed is merely a ruse that he HAS to use in order to get the Trade Federation to continue to do his bidding. If they had no incentive to go to war, they would have never agreed to the invasion in the first place. Having Darth Maul hunt for Amidala to try to hunt her down and bring her back to Naboo to sign the treaty was simply another part of the ruse. Palpatine again had to make it appear that he wanted that treaty signed no matter the cost.

He also used Maul as a patsy. His view into the future allowed him to see how the entire treaty ruse would play out. He knew Maul would be killed fighting the Jedi because he needed a real and infuencial person like Count DookU (not Dooka as you love to type, Stilla). A crazed musclebound tatooed freak that could barely speak would not have started the seperatists movement. Dooku had to get involved, and the only way to involve Dooku was to kill off his first apprentice.

As for what exactly the treaty would have gotten the Trade Federation, I don't exactly know. The TF was getting into new territory with the invasion/taking over the capitol city of the planet thing. They didn't even know how to fight, they just told their droids what to do and hoped they did it. I imagine the treaty would not only give the Federation total import/export power over Naboo, but apparently give them control of the planet as well. Of course the TF would see this in a good light. Palpatine must have earned their trust somehow. Probably through large cash infusions I imagine. Or perhaps he mind tricked a whole lot of dumb Neimodians.

Re: Re: Palpatine's Plan Boiled Down

Originally posted by chewie
    His view into the future allowed him to see how the entire treaty ruse would play out.
    Your entire theory has it's foundation on the above statement. Where is the basis for such a conclusion beyond your own conjecture?

My basis on this conclusion is due to the movies Empire Strkes back and Return of the Jedi. Vader clamed in ESB that Palpatine could forsee Luke killing him (Palpatine). In Return of the Jedi, there were at least a few statements by Palpatine that he could see into the future. Now he couldn't see very well into the future (at least at that point), but it seems that his foresight had gotten him up to his high status as of the original trilogy.

Also, my theory doesn't have to hinge on Palpatine's force powers. If he couldn't see at all into the future, then he could still have simply taken the Neimodians for a ride with the treaty. After all, he influenced them enough to go along with his scheme. Which may or may not have precipitated any force power usage.

As for Palps knowing that Maul would be killed, I believe it is a sound theory to think that he knew that, or at least he hoped that would happen in the course of his plan. If Palpatine wanted to become master of the universe, Darth Maul, while exceedingly powerful physically, could not take on the entire Republic and the Jedi by himself. Maul's tactics and upbringing certainly didn't include any coersion or influencing abilities. Getting Dooku, or some other statesman to get thousands of planets to sign up for war is about the only option two people against a universe that was teeming with other sentient life forms would have.

Also Stilla. I've noticed you're always wanting these bits of information put out in the movie itself. Which may be the basis for this entire thread. To show that the strange lack of information in the prequels could confuse those who could not extrapolate ideas (such as children). The prequels, IMO, have to be watched after you watch the original trilogy. Gaining knowledge of Palpatine's force ability seems necessary for a deeper understanding of the plot. BUT, it would also remove (however little) of the revelation of Palpatine being a super powerful sith master in EIII. While the audience knows this already (for the most part), even without seeing the original movies, I would hope that EIII would clarify Palpatine's force powers, and actually explain in part his plan in his own words, without requiring fan extrapolation.
    Last edited by chewie; 06-12-2002 at 07:14 PM.

Originally posted by chewie

Also Stilla. I've noticed you're always wanting these bits of information put out in the movie itself. Which may be the basis for this entire thread. To show that the strange lack of information in the prequels could confuse those who could not extrapolate ideas (such as children). The prequels, IMO, have to be watched after you watch the original trilogy. Gaining knowledge of Palpatine's force ability seems necessary for a deeper understanding of the plot. BUT, it would also remove (however little) of the revelation of Palpatine being a super powerful sith master in EIII. While the audience knows this already (for the most part), even without seeing the original movies, I would hope that EIII would clarify Palpatine's force powers, and actually explain in part his plan in his own words, without requiring fan extrapolation.
    However George chooses to write it, I'm just interested in seeing a good story. If he constructs a plausible plot and includes information when necessary and excludes extraneous information than that is the basis of a well designed story.

I'm not specifically looking for every single detail to be spelled out for the brain-dead in the crowd. For example, that's one reason I've been opposed to the Midichlorians from the start. It was nothing more than a overly simplistic plot device to "prove" to the audience that Anakin had Force potential. There was no subtlety there at all. The audience isn't as stupid as Lucas seems to think. He's been taking lessons lately from the Joel Schumaker school of beat-us-over-the-head filmmaking.

But I digress. While I agree that at present, the only way to really understand what is going on in the Prequels is to have knowledge of what comes after in the OT, I'm just trying to figure out Palpatine's detailed plan that gets him from point A to point B to point C and so on.

I hatched this thread after my last viewing of AOTC. I took special note of Palpatine's "gentle prodding" that Padme be looked after by Obi Wan. It seemed to be too calculated a "suggestion" to be nothing more than offering her a familiar face to hang out with. He had something up his sleeve when he suggested Padme be protected by Obi Wan. I'm curious as to what that might be and how it ties into his overall plans.

Perhaps he knew that Anakin would recieve his first solo mission from the suggestion, and he'd have Palpatine to thank for it.
    ubi mel ibi apes