Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question What Would You Do.......

I didn't know where to post this-so if you want to move it to the general section it's O.K.
    Well, I was at my local WM today looking for the Chewey wave and didn't have them. They did have the Nexu and Deluxe Anakin and some Orn Fre waves. The point being is that as I was going thru the figures a guy in his late 20's was also looking-so I said what are you looking for? He said a Yoda. No Yoda. But then he seen the Nexu and grabbed two. I didn't think much about it because maybe his buddy wanted one untill I walked around the asile and he was opening them both. Then I also noticed that he had two blue Wal-Mart bags with him. I said to him "I wouldn't steal those." Then he said back "I'm not. I just want to look at them." Yea right. So after this as I was leaving the store I told the manager about this guy in the toy dept. and gave her a description of him. Who knows what else he had in those bags. I know I did the right thing but would anyone else turn him in or just turn your head the other way?????

I definately would have informed someone at the front that they were being robbed.

I'd hate to do nothing now only to have that same shop-lifter grow up into a burgler and clean out my house later in life...

I guess I've read too many Spiderman comics or something...

You never know what will happen if you do nothing.

Nataku!
    Last edited by Nataku; 06-12-2002 at 12:28 PM.

Good for you. Too many people find it's easy to just look the other way these days. Thieves deserve only the respect due to thieves.

You did the right thing, and I would have done the same.

Guys like that only hurt us in the long run. If the computer doesn't log it out when it paid for, the home office or HQ doesn't know how good something is doing, or when and if they should restock or reorder something. When some one steals, the computer system still thinks its in the store, and no one is buying that item, and we wonder why there's never any new stock at times, or the stores pulls all the figs off the pegs.

You did the right thing. I just hope the manager, sent a secret shopper after him, to catch him in the act. I'm not positive if they can just check his bag. At TRU, and even when I worked at the Warner Bro. Studio Store, if we suspected some one of stealing we had to see him in the act, then we could detain them. We couldn't just check his bag if we suspected them, and if the alarm went off and they had a bag, we could ask them to come back inside since a tag wasn't removed, but if they bolted holding a store bag or not we were instructed not to chase after them.

But you did the right thing. Hopefully they got him.

Re: What Would You Do.......

Originally posted by Jedi Drew
    I didn't know where to post this-so if you want to move it to the general section it's O.K.
    Well, I was at my local WM today looking for the Chewey wave and didn't have them. They did have the Nexu and Deluxe Anakin and some Orn Fre waves. The point being is that as I was going thru the figures a guy in his late 20's was also looking-so I said what are you looking for? He said a Yoda. No Yoda. But then he seen the Nexu and grabbed two. I didn't think much about it because maybe his buddy wanted one untill I walked around the asile and he was opening them both. Then I also noticed that he had two blue Wal-Mart bags with him. I said to him "I wouldn't steal those." Then he said back "I'm not. I just want to look at them." Yea right. So after this as I was leaving the store I told the manager about this guy in the toy dept. and gave her a description of him. Who knows what else he had in those bags. I know I did the right thing but would anyone else turn him in or just turn your head the other way?????
    I wish there was more like you out there!! It is far too easy in this day and age just to look the other way. Informing a manager was the best ting to do. Or even if you had seen an employee in another aisle colse to toys. Not only is this agains t the law, but if a lot of ppl do it, it could raise the prices at WM. They have a "budget" for theft. They cannot catch everyone. But if their "Shrink" exceeds that amount, the store begins to take a lose. Over time this will cause the company to raise its prices to compansate(sp). It may only be $1 stolen, or it may be $1000. It all adds up! If 1000 ppl stole a dollars worth, that's $1000 stolen.

So thank you for your honesty and integrity.
    Come see Dar' Live™ Aug 12-15 in Orlando!!!
    You're slower than a herd of turtles stampeding through peanut butter.
    Hackers in hollywood movies are phenomenal. All they need to do is "c:\> hack into fbi"

I worked retail for nine years (not any more) and it's a real touchy issue to stop someone to check their bags. BUT....It can be done. All you have to say is that you are doing a recepit check.

Originally posted by Jedi Drew
    I worked retail for nine years (not any more) and it's a real touchy issue to stop someone to check their bags. BUT....It can be done. All you have to say is that you are doing a recepit check.
    I used to live in SoCal and every freakin store outside of supermarkets does this. It really bugged the hell out of me because you end up having to wait in line to get out of the store. If it eventually results in keeping prices down, then I'm all for it.

I would have totally gotten an employee, especially if it were a SW toy. It's hard enough finding stuff with scalpers and other collectors around. Now we have to deal with freakin criminals and kleptos too?
    "I'm just a YES man trying to make my way in the universe." - Jango McCallum

"Good dialogue and smooth editing are no match for a good YES man by your side, kid." - George Lucas

Yeah, it really takes 2 to open to look at the same thing.

You did the right thing by turning him in. Don't they have cameras around? I know they're not always pointed towards the location that the crime could be going on in, but couldn't they direct the camera over there?

I think they would've definitely had enough evidence to do a bag search though: Eye Witness + Empty packages.

The bad part is that possibly by the time you find someone to report it to and they get around to doing their job the creep possibly would've gone right out lawn & garden since the toy departments are usually not far from there.
    "Hokey packaging and ancient gimmicks are no match for good detail on your figure, kid."
    "I am a Klingot from Oklahoma in human boy form."
    "We came, we saw, we conquered... We, woke up!"

So your the guy that turned me in!!!

Just kidding,hahah.but I would have to be pretty sure he was stealing
    cause I don't want to tell on someone who didn't do it.but what you did was good,also did he get cought?
    Insert sig line of your choosing here.

What a creep. Yeah, I'd say you did the right thing, and I'd have done the same thing. 'Course, I can never find a store employee when I need one...

Hmm. I wonder if you couldn't use one of those courtesy phones they have, too- the ones you can use to ask for help, say, getting something really heavy off the shelf into your cart, and just say you saw this guy in toys stealing stuff.