Hybrid View

Question ok! just got my very first pack of starwars cards and don't have a clue what to do..

ok. i got a 2 pack at wal-mart and got tyranus's wrath, clone warrior 4/163, dark speed, naboo spaceport, commerce guild starship, droid starfighter wing, naboo royal starship, intergalatic banking clan starship, jango fett, n-1 starfighter. now i have a few questions...1: how do you play the game? 2: how many cards do you have to have to make a deck? 3: are any of the cards i got any good?
    Last edited by hango fett; 06-12-2002 at 05:45 PM.
    Sampsonite! i was way off!

The best thing new players can do is purchase a starter deck, probably the two player starter (I think they go for 7.99). This way you can find a friend that wants to play. It's easier to learn with a friend by playing than just reading the rules. The minimum number of cards for a deck is 60, I think. But to learn the game, you only need what's in the starter decks. They also come with complete instructions and a playmat. As far as the cards you have, most of those are pretty good. Usually the more rare the card, the better. If you look at the bottom right corner of your cards, there is a small symbol. A circle denotes a common card, a diamond is an uncommon card and a star is a rare card.

Oh! Almost forgot. You can also go to the Wizards of the Coast page for the Star Wars TCG http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=swtcg. It's not a bad website. It has the whole rulebook, instructions and it even has an interactive demo for the game that really helps to understand the concept.

Hope this helps!
    Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter.

The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.
    ~SK

I was just about to post what you said Shifty when my computer crashed.

Yeah, I would definitely get the Starter kit. You really need the instructions to help you out. Also, try that demo. It really helps understand the rudiments to the game.

You can also check out the card list they have. There's 180 total right now for AOTC with some boosters/expansions on the way. The really cool thing about this game is that you can play simple rules or make them really advanced.

I think you actually need only 40 cards to have a complete deck, and you can't have more than double of one type over the others.

One other thing. If you're going to be into collecting all the cards or going after the rares, I recommend getting the 11 card booster packs instead of the five ones. You are guaranteed to get at least one rare card in the 11-packs with 3-4 uncommons. If you get a foil, even a rare foil, that doesn't count as your rare card so you may get two. In the 5-packs I think you have a 1 in 3 chance of getting a rare card. WM and other similar retailers don't have the 11-packs, but you can get them at comic book stores or gaming stores. My local one sells them for $2.95, making them 26 cents apiece. I think the two packs at WM are over $3 making them costlier. Not by much, but significant enough for me since they aren't guaranteed to have rares.

BTW, Target is supposed to have the single 5-packs on sale next week for $1 each.

Let us know how it works out for you.
    "I'm just a YES man trying to make my way in the universe." - Jango McCallum

"Good dialogue and smooth editing are no match for a good YES man by your side, kid." - George Lucas

hey actually i think you need 60 cards for a deck, and are aloud to have four copies of a card. thats what i read in the rulebook. as for how good your cards are check the letter, A is the best, then B followed by C, D is next then E if that card has an E
    Gambit: What's up guys? Tell me, why are you such losers?

Toad: Because the X-Men are winners. It all balances out.

Gambit to Brotherhood
    X-Men Evolution
    Season Three Episode 34

i got my starter deck today. it helped a great deal. "no all i got to do is find this yoda!" i assume he is a very rare card, eh?

There are two Yoda's, the A and B versions. The B version is uncommon and I've gotten a few of those pretty easily, but the A version is pretty hard to find. I've yet to see one.
    Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter.

The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.
    ~SK

thats what i figured...i hope i find one...not alot of people in the miami valley of ohio collect them from what i see in stores...they are major peg warmers..oh, well! more for me!