Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Vintage Vehicle Restoration Question

I have a vintage A-Wing that has some corrosion of one of the battery contacts. Fortunately, it hasn't damaged any of the plastic and it doesn't interfere with the electronics; but I was just wondering how to remove it. If anybody has found a way to solve this problem I'd really appreciate hearing from you.

You could always buy a new "vintage A-Wing" from Ebay, it would be more simple
    GNT
    ''
    You fool, my reach is far greater than the Jedi.Only a Sith can wield the force over such a great distance.'' - Darth Sidious

Alright, let me rephrase this: If you have any idea what you are talking about then I would appreciate hearing from you.

Helloooo, somebody? (crickets chirping) C'mon....anybody? I'm strugglin' here. (see photo)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	struggling.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	13.8 KB 
ID:	102  

Smile A-wing restoration

Hmmm, well, you could try CAREFULLY using some extra-fine (300-600 grit) sandpaper. I believe a little Baking Soda with Water will neutralize the acid, and prevent further deterioration.

It might be easier to open up the vehicle and try to remove the battery contacts than to cram fingers into battery compartments.

You could also find someone who specializes in the repair of vintage SW toys (see my sig ) who could take care of these things for you.

Rob
    Repair, refurbish, restore
    www.sandcrawlerworkshop.com

Yeah, I pretty much figured I'd have to open it up, since the battery cover doesn't come off or open up all the way. I hadn't thought about baking soda to neutralize the acid, plus I hadn't thought about the corrosion spreading on it's own. Just a second.........

Good, it's still just on the contact so it should be simple once I get it taken apart.

(Man, opening the battery compartment on this toy is a little harrowing, since you have to pry it open with a screwdriver against the red painted surface. )

Anyway, thanks a bundle bibfortuna! If I run into any furthur problems I'll post 'em here.
    Last edited by bigbarada; 09-25-2001 at 01:32 PM.

Originally posted by bigbarada
    Helloooo, somebody? (crickets chirping) C'mon....anybody? I'm strugglin' here. (see photo)
    I guess you are struggling for help but you wont make it

I'll ask a few people I know and see if they could help
    GNT
    ''
    You fool, my reach is far greater than the Jedi.Only a Sith can wield the force over such a great distance.'' - Darth Sidious

I actually have another question. Do flourescent lights really have a serious affect on vintage toys? I've heard many conflicting stories on this. Some say that they only affect the bubbles on SWAF cards, others say they make clear plastic yellow and dicolor regular plastic.

The only reason I'm asking is the fact that my room in the barracks has nothing but flourescent lights in it, so should I be concerned about storing the toys in my room?
    Last edited by bigbarada; 09-26-2001 at 01:25 PM.

Cool

Originally posted by bigbarada
    The only reason I'm asking is the fact that my room in the barracks has nothing but flourescent lights in it, so should I be concerned about storing the toys in my room?
    Something about this quote just seems odd to me. I don't take any chances; none of my toys are (unfortunately) displayed in the open, but in cardboard boxes. No natural lighting for me!
    "May the 4th be with you?" "Why yes, thank you for asking."

Originally posted by Bel-Cam Jos

Something about this quote just seems odd to me. I don't take any chances; none of my toys are (unfortunately) displayed in the open, but in cardboard boxes. No natural lighting for me!

Something about this quote seems odd to me.

If you're not going to answer the question then just move along, and don't waste our valuable time.

Angry Grr! Arr!

Okay, fine then! here's your answer: maybe. So there! My source? Jim Bob's SW Guide to Questions You Wanted to Ask But Online Forums Members Wouldn't Let You, or At Least Just Wasted Your Time Waiting For Some Other Forums Member to Answer Them, 2nd edition.
    "May the 4th be with you?" "Why yes, thank you for asking."