Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Wary special effects.

Now this is no thread to bash the special effects of the OT. But just to somewhat point out the inconsistencies for the sake of.
    I noticed that when Leia is shooting the Stormtroopers on the bridge up above them the sound effect is that of a gun from a western. Plus if you notice at the end of the first scene of Obi and Dart dueling, Obi does this swirling action with his lightsaber and the blade seems to disappear!!! Plus the point where Luke shoots the controls to the blast door that blocks off Vader from coming through, his lightsaber blade is more of the whiteish blue that his original was that Luke was carrying!! List more if you gotem!!!
    No matter how I die, even if there is a suicide note; it was murder. Cheers!
    MWHAHAHAHA!

As for the gun sound effect, that wasn't in the original version, it was a normal blaster sound effect. Dunno why they changed it for the SE.

As for Obi-Wan's saber fizzling out, I always noticed that as a kid, apparently the saber blades in that film were rods with reflective tape on them that was originally supposed to be the ONLY effect, however Lucas didn't like how it looked and had the saber blades rotoscoped (drawn animation over normal film) in. However, I think they didn't rotoscope that scene and what we're seeing is the reflective tape.

It's this same rotoscoping that I think was missed on Vader's saber during that later scene, but it could simply be no color in the rotoscoping. The blade when Luke is saber training on the Falcon is also white.

Another FX goof is when Luke first turns on his saber, it's a cut-edit where I think they had Mark Hamill stand still while they swapped the "off" saber prop with the "on" version with the rod in it. It's close, but he hops over like half an inch.

Another is when Obi-Wan is by a door on the Death Star that opens. Since the doors on the set were opened much slower in the film, it was sped up by having some of the frames removed - but one of those frames is where Alec Guiness starts to blink. So in the film, we don't see Obi-Wan close his eyes during a blink, but we see him OPEN them!
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Geez and I thought I was picky with special effects.

I used to always think that Obi-Wan's saber "fizzling out" was a result of his "powers growing weak." Of course, the prequels have proven that one wrong.

During the Rebel Hangar scene in ROTJ, just before the big battle, you see that crappy matte painting of all the ships in the hangar and two techinicians walking up to an A-Wing. Well, if you look closely you'll notice that they don't have any feet! I guess ILM misaligned the live action with the matte painting slightly.

Oh yeah, the sound effect change on Leia's blaster was supposed to indicate that her blaster was set on full power. If you look closely, you can see her fiddling with the settings just before and just after those "shotgun blasts." JT, is right though, that sound effect didn't exist in the original version of Star Wars.

Beware of Tycho. He suddenly doesn't allow any critique of the movies like this. We might corrupt the "young viewers" here.

For the most part, I think they fixed a lot of the original fx that didn't come off as hoped.

Of course, the Rancor matte lines are still there but the blue screen shots of Luke standing in front of the Rancor bother me a little more. He looks 3D but the background image looks too much like a rear projection.

But any of the older fx aren't so much "goofs" as limitations of the technology at that time, so it's hard to be critical of them. They did their best with what they had...and invented!

I agree stillakid and have thought this for a while.I was surprised that the rancor went untouched when the other fx were tweaked. I would have thought that a digitally inserted rancor would have looked far far better.
    Also another thing thing that could have been re vamped was the executor diving into the death star, the ship is immense but the explosion flames look way too big. Maybe a touch up like the two death star explosions would sort that out.
    Planet Lunt...It is unavoidable........It Is Your Destiny.

Sorry that has got me thinking, if something the size of the executor crashed into the death star, wouldn't the death star get a bit dented

I imagine it might be a little heavy and would probably create quite a hole, all the damage happens to the executor.

Originally posted by lunchymeatball
    Sorry that has got me thinking, if something the size of the executor crashed into the death star, wouldn't the death star get a bit dented

I imagine it might be a little heavy and would probably create quite a hole, all the damage happens to the executor.
    I just took a quick look at the Ship Size Comparisons in Star Wars Chronicles. The Executor is quite small next to the Death Star, so while it would indeed create quite a bit of localized damage, it doesn't appear that the structural integrity of the battle station would be compromised beyond the immediate area. But then again, what do I know?

What I mean is that it just explodes on the surface and doesn't appear to be carried by momentum into the death star.
    I am just doing this on memory, so I could be wrong.

On the Bridge of my Super Star Destroyer... force-choking incompetent officers!
    Originally posted by stillakid
    Of course, the Rancor matte lines are still there but the blue screen shots of Luke standing in front of the Rancor bother me a little more. He looks 3D but the background image looks too much like a rear projection.
    This still bothers me too...but what bugs me more is on the SE widescreen video for ESB they talk about the matt lines and the trouble they had with the Hoth scene...and they refer to the RANCOR scene in ROTJ...but they never fixed it in ROTJ SE. That's what really bugs me!
    "The darkside of the force is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be...unnatural"

"Join me... and together we can rule the galaxy as father and son"

Originally posted by lunchymeatball
    What I mean is that it just explodes on the surface and doesn't appear to be carried by momentum into the death star.
    I am just doing this on memory, so I could be wrong.
    I believe that the shot cuts away shortly after the fireball envelopes the ship. So for an instant, the ship is obscured as well as any sense of it's forward motion. Then we cut away to Ackbar I believe without seeing the damage through to it's end.

For an "enhanced" redo of that shot, it would be pretty cool if we saw the Executor break apart just like that Federation Trade Ship did at the end of TPM. But that's just gravy and would be a gratuitous lingering on an fx shot like Lucas used to be against.