Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Originally posted by Obi-Dan Kenobi
    Actually, that song wasn't a cover. It was an original song of theirs. The movie still sucked pretty bad.
    Yes, meaning that they wrote the song ..."Hold me, thrill me, kiss me"...for the movie, not for a normal album...
    Last edited by Lobito; 09-26-2001 at 11:16 AM.
    As always...........L

Sadly, the music industry, in general, sucks now. The last album I bought was Rammstein: Mutter. The reason is because of the unique flair they infuse into music. Nothing kicks *** more than five German's playing heavy metal in deep voices. The German dialogue is extremely aggressive sounding. There is a severe lack in the uniqueness factor where pop music is concerned; their isn't their own personal signature. It depends totally on sex appeal and not talent. Sure sex has always been a seller but the backstreet boys's and Britney Spears's of the industry has certainly lowered the bar as far as what is tactful.

I don't buy that U2, Sting, or a host of other grandfather bands are selling themselves out. Heres the reality. Britney has much more sex appeal than a whithering Mic Jagger. Testosterone driven teen boys, and estrogen saturated teen girls gravitate to a volumbtuous sandy blond more than a geezer that looks like a horse. If Pepsi had Mic instead of Britney sing that ba-ba-ba-ba-ba diddy people would laugh their asses off and Pepsi would lose money. So when these older bands face that obstacle they are forced to market in other ways because nobody is calling the radio stations and making requests to listen to U2's newest hit. Let me illustrate. Last year Sting introduced his newest album with a song in which he duets with a mid-eastern (cannot remember the name), but he could not get airtime on radio stations because of Britney, Christina Aguiliara, Backstreet Boys, In Synch, etc. etc. A lot of bands depend on that air time to let people know "Hey I have a new album!" He wasn't even on the top 100 chart for two months. So Sting made an agreement with Jaguar(?) so that he could air the song and market his album. It worked and within no time his album was in the top ten list. Sellout? I wouldn't call it that. It was strategic move to get his product moving. U2 did the same.

Now there are some bands, <cough> <cough> Metallica <cough> <cough> that have sold out. Changing your image and music style to entice other listeners to buy your music at the same time casting away any of your own artistic finger print so you can make money is a sellout.

Personally, I've grown so that I quite like the music soundtracks from anime. Much of it is orchestrated which I really like. Much better harmony. I don't plan on buying any pop-music until this insurgance of hack musicians goes away.

Moby did the same thing as sting, by liscencing his stuff for people to actually hear it and get his album moving. But it was still all a ploy to make money, no matter how you phrase it. Ammie mann couldn't even get her record distributed until she turned up on the Magnolia soundtrack, which basically wrote the movie according to the director.

But are groups like BSB (I can't belive I just typed BSB, Twice.) and Britney Spears sellouts if they're created to sell product in the first place? I don't think so. They know they have a job to do and I doubt that they ever really had U2 type of expectations. Britney knows that if she gains 20 pounds she'll never make another record.
    Then you have the pop artist of the past who may have sold out, like Michael Jackson and Madonna, but they're still making music today, But because they want to, not because pepsi wants a forty year old blonde as and advertisement.

Just remember. Music (even sell out's) makes the people come together.
    Your signature here!

I have to say, as an artist myself, that if somebody wants to pay me to do some artwork, I jump at the chance. If I do a piece and someone wants to buy it, I'm all about it. I have an art degree but I work in a restaurant. I plan to go back to school to get a design degree, but I currently have no steady income coming in from artwork. I don't see anything wrong with marketing your art, whether it be a painting, a sculpture, a pop song, a movie...whatever. It's annoying when a song you've loved for years pop's up in an ad, but I don;t see anything inherently WRONG with it. And as far as lending songs to movie soundtracks, I just see that as a collaboration. You're adding something to another person's vision. Nothing wrong with that. Now, making the same album over and over again because it sells, well, it leaves a bad taste in my mouth, but all I can say is that it's not art, just entertainment. Whatever.

And if you ask me, Sting should quit. He has reached his limits, and descended into the dark world of Adult Contemporary. Car commercials suit him well these days.
    Last edited by Obi-Dan Kenobi; 10-01-2001 at 12:47 AM.

I understand what you're saying, Obi-Dan, artists gotta eat, but it just pains me sometimes to see it. I was raised by an artist mother to see art as a form of self expression, so when I see something like that, it ceases to be self expression and becomes nothing more than an ad jingle. Like for example, does anyone remember the car commercials that features the Van Gogh paintings? Do you think Van Gogh would have approved of that? Ok, he might have, he was weird, but to me when I see that, it cheapens the art. The next time I see that painting, all I'm thinking of are car commercials. Granted, that's not VanGogh's fault, he's dead and can't do anything about it.
    But does Busta Rhymes really have to hawk Mountain Dew? Doesn't he make enough money at participating in music's new dominant force? Selling your stuff to get your career going, as someone mentioned, is one thing, but after you've already sold millions of records, it just stinks of greed and corporate takeover to start doing pop commercials. But, to quote Dennis Miller, that's just my opinion, I could be wrong.
    Postatem obscuri lateris nescitis

I agree with Jargo, sometimes these "artists" don't have a say in the matter.
    I can't imagine Destiny's Child owning the publishing rights to their songs since I can't imagine them actually writing the songs themselves.

What a surprise to find Caesar at the bottom of this thread.
    No matter how I die, even if there is a suicide note; it was murder. Cheers!
    MWHAHAHAHA!

Quote Originally Posted by scruffziller View Post
    What a surprise to find Caesar at the bottom of this thread.
    You've been doing a little digging yourself there, Scruff.

Quote Originally Posted by seanmcfripp View Post
    You've been doing a little digging yourself there, Scruff.
    Yea, he inspired me.
    No matter how I die, even if there is a suicide note; it was murder. Cheers!
    MWHAHAHAHA!

Someone needs to arrange a "Shovel-off" one of these days. I want to know who can dig the deepest, the fastest, etc.