Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
    SWAF: I had the opportunity to see Rush back in '97 but couldn't go. My 2 older brother's got to go (they are bigger fans) and enjoyed it. Amazing they can perform all those songs live, with all of that music/instruments, with just 3 people. But truly they are one of the greatest (even if they are Canucks )

VT: I do like that GL work along with "Sundown" and "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald." And if I am not mistaken an updated "If You Could Read My Mind" was featured in the movie 54 with Mike Myers and Selma Hayek.

And yes the Spoonful did 2 songs for Woody Allen's movie What's Up, Tiger Lily." One is called "Pow!" That song hasn't really caught on to me.
    "The dark side clouds everything. Impossible to see, the future is. But this I am sure of - do their duty the Jedi will." --Yoda from Attack of the Clones.

Being true Metal Manowarrior (so long my stride the earth doth tremble with fear) and all, my nusical guilty pleasures would have to be 1-Gordon Lightfoot 2-Ray Parker jr(the ghostbuster- he's got some totally hilarious stuff that's actually pretty good in a weird way)

Swaffy and VT, I've tried to keep outta this thread for raisons d'egoiste but need some humility today so;

Hong Kong Swing Cruella De Ville My parents shoulda worried when their 9 year old bought this 12" record. It is absolutely awful, I liked it for the novelty I guess but wasn't aware just how naff it was until I hit puberty It'd never get pressed these days what with the psychotic PC awareness that seems to infect like Captain Trips No-one will've ever heard this so for your info, typical lyrics include;

"Get into the rhythm of the Hong Kong Swing
    You grab a little geisha then you have a little fling"

and worse

"Hare, Hare, Kamikaze, sianara sing, sweet n sour oo-ahh , Hong Kong Swing!"

(Actually, this probably would qualify for the PC censor)

You Spin Me (like a record) Dead or Alive - Is it a bloke? is it a shemale? is it an It? Probably the scariest and ugliest drag queen in the world, this Liverpudlian horror populated the charts with camp hits in the 80s. I loved the video with the many-armed dancing and turned on to the record - again I was but a child so I have an excuse. Anyone into horror should check out the 12" of Something in my house with its liberal sampling of The Exorcist and House

Rofo's Theme - Rofo Massive superHi NRG gay anthem that I have no idea why I bought in 1990 as it is almost as new as a pin, unplayed but for night I bought it....A Super-Club I went to years ago used to have a record stand where you could pick up promos and white label tracks along with other dance and pop choons. I must've been melted the night I bought this petrifying horror of an instumental.

I can see I've lost you all now, so that's all

Swaffy and VT, you can see why I'm not keen on recording a CD for the upcoming transpondal package

jeddah

Talking "why's mykajackson tryina make hisseff look like a ol' chinese Woman?"

-quip by an otherwise unmemorable actress/sista on PI last night :happy:
    quoting lyrics out of context as a way of illustrating a song's banality, eh jdah? what, are you tryin out for a job as a banal Rolling Stone rock critic? i agree, that deadoralive song is eeeww recordin a cd? i thought you was gonna make me a VTape instead??
    lbc: yer prolly right, but i haven't seen 54 since it came out & it seems like i've heard the housey "read mind" more recently. and re spoonfuls' Tiger Lily music, i meant their bond-sih instrumental cues. i agree, their TL pop tunes did nuthin for me either
    gsj, swaffy et al: diagwood scholar pal & i have recalled a few more candidates for consideration:
    stephen bishop, "save it for a rainy day" (includes the lyric, "well she's kinda pretty" -perhaps cuz, were she Really pretty, the diagwood audience might not deem this song sufficiently mellow & middling )
    kenny loggins & stevie nicks, "whenever i call you friend" (did one of you already cite this? )
    dr. hook, "sharing the night together" (as opposed to sharing the night Apart? ) his "love you a little bit more" was also suggested, but i don't personally recall it-
    vt
    np: trashmen, "surfin bird" (might surf rock comprise a whole new frontier of guilty pleasure music for us to wallow in? )

mabudon.....this hurts me as much as it hurts you....but due to your admittance of Ray Parker Jr., I must request the Dio picture be removed immediately and replaced with a nude photo of Kip Winger.....I'm sorry, but you brought this on yourself....

I commonly listen to punk/ska bands such as:

Rx Bandits
    Five Iron Frenzy
    Rancid (Op Ivy if you prefer)
    Madcaddies
    Insyderz
    Bad Religion
    MxPx
    Reel Big Fish
    The Hippos

Bands that people know of that I listen to:

Linkin Park
    Adema (that new band who's lead singer is brother to Korn's lead singer)
    The Beatles
    Metallica
    AC/DC
    A lot of Metal bands from early 80's (not hair metal!!!)

My guilty pleasure music:

Huey Louis and the News!!! I saw these guys New Years in Vegas just a few months ago. I've loved these guys since their stint on the Back to the Future soundtrack.
    "Watch this, I'm going to horrify you into a coma..."

Nah, the Vtape went out the window when I realised how much effort would be involved just trying to get teh camcorder outta my brothers mitts is like trying to steal 7s nonprobe technology - doomed to failure.

But something in my house is in context - sang by Pete Burns.

jeddah

Here I go, giving amateurs like Caesar and Slicker a lesson in how to prospect.

(Okay, not really. I thought about this earlier today, and knew there was a thread here about it. I just had no idea how long it'd been since it'd been touched. Some real old-school long-gone posters in here.)

Anyway, I was driving into work, jamming to Steely Dan. And I realized that they are the very definition of "guilty pleasure" music. A weird combination of disco and contemporary jazz, with a touch of rock thrown in, underscoring completely misanthropic and esoteric lyrics that only a nerd could love. But, then again, they've got a song about a guy trying to score with his hot cousin, a song about an old man who's depressed because his date is too young to remember Aretha Franklin (but finally decides to just get drunk and do the deed), and a few dozen songs about people with crippling ennui who finally decide to, again, get drunk and do it.

Oh, and they took their name from a talking... sexual device in William Burroughs novel.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Howdy View Post
    mabudon.....this hurts me as much as it hurts you....but due to your admittance of Ray Parker Jr., I must request the Dio picture be removed immediately and replaced with a nude photo of Kip Winger.....I'm sorry, but you brought this on yourself....
    Mabs, Slicker can probably help you find the photo for this avatar.
    Yo momma. That's right, I said "yo momma".