Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Solution to the Tastetesta situation?

Solution to the Tastetesta situation?

A very large number of us were scammed or set up to be scammed by this little punk. Who is he, really? We got several names and address for him and we have no idea what is the right one.

In order for us not to get ripped off we have to make things more secure.

My proposal:

Make the board, or at least the trading sections, private. You have to apply for membership. As it is now scum like 'testa can sign up with a new name every stinkin' day if he wanted to.

If you have a positive trade rating on the board here then you obviously know many of your fellow traders and are almost certainly guarenteed a membership.

But for anyone new they must *ALWAYS* send first and *ALWAYS* send insured or another legit way to track the package. After a preset number of perfect trades the Moderator/Admin will make him/her a full member and no longer has to send first.

If a member decides to send first or at the same time as a trial-member then that user will be doing so at his own risk.

The applying trader must provide:
    REAL name
    REAL address
    REAL email

This way we keep the slime out and good deals in.

So, people of this board, what say you? Good idea or bad?

Sounds good, not to mention all trades should take place on the boards. Not in E-mails, PMs, or IM's. We also should institue somthing similar to what TheJawa has going on, you get trading points beneath your name for every positive trade that has taken place. Once you reach 5-10, like you said you could become a trusted member. I like the idea of making it private, or atleast moderating it a bit more then happens now. I am hoping that there are some changes coming, but I can't say anymore right now about what.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks
    THE SPY. THE SPACEMAN. THE GODDESS. THE ROBOT. THE GORILLA.

AGENTS OF ATLAS - Returns in Early 2009.

I really don't think privatizing stuff is going to be a good idea. Especially mandating stuff like how many positive trades you've made with people before you are 'accepted' into a community. There are myriad collectors out there who won't be conducting tons of trades on message boards, but I think closing the trades down to being limited to the board only would be a mistake. Especially because then, it will essentially make sir steves guide forums liable for trading issues, especially if the trades are limited only to the message boards. It could create problems for the website in other fashions. Unless the board has a bunch of disclaimers and stuff set up.
    One thing that might work is making it so each user name can only use 1 IP. While it would prevent me from logging on at work, an IP ban, would be more permanent, unless people have a system that utilizes varying IPs.
    there are alot of problems that come along with making a board private, part of which is going to center on how it might not foster positive reactions to the website - and could result in new members being deterred. And if we are truly fans of Star Wars, and the toys that accompany it, we wouldn't be doing anything to make it difficult or frustrating for new members.
    At an initial glance, I thought that making the boards private would be a novel idea, but a different board I used was made private and eventually I stopped using it altogether.
    Its too bad a single jerk has the power to ruin something for so many other people.

On the flip side, I might be singing a different tune if that little jerk had taken my stuff too.
    When does the carpool to his house leave?
    Luke

Edit: Also, if this privatization would happen, it would only be right to make sure that EVERYONE, established here or not, whether they have 3000+ posts like Jar Jar, or under 30 like me, all of them start at a 0 rating. Start everyone off at the same place. Otherwise new members could become even more frustrated especially if the 'older, seasoned' members never had to go through any sort of trial period. If people are being subjected to something that the whole group isn't, I don't think that is right either.

Apologies for the length.

Well, maybe not privitizing it. But some changes need to be made, so that we can not only stop this person from signing up over and over again, but also other new people popping up just to rip people off. Someway of tracking the good traders though with points, and having to have new traders ship first, is the only way to stop this sort of stuff from happening.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

I think the shipping first thing is a fine thing for me personally, I just know that it will be a problem for other people. I just want the trading to be safe, and before any decisions are made here or on other boards I want to make sure people are thinking of it from as many angles as possible.
    Do I care a little too much?
    Am I VERY new around here?
    Both answers are 'yes.'
    I sound like a parent with this: I just want a community where everyone can feel safe.
    But its true.
    LMS

Originally posted by JarJarBinks
    Well, maybe not privitizing it. But some changes need to be made, so that we can not only stop this person from signing up over and over again, but also other new people popping up just to rip people off. Someway of tracking the good traders though with points, and having to have new traders ship first, is the only way to stop this sort of stuff from happening.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks
    I agree with JarJarBinks on this matter. I think possibly this could be a good idea. Lets say in the forums we have a good reviews section and a bad reviews section for the traders/sellers in our forums. I have traded twice and have not have anything but good luck with these other members. On the other hand I wouldn't want to be taken by a guy like tastetesta or anyone else for that matter. I agree that some sort of honor/review system could possibly deter individuals like him. The system should include E-mail , full address, username, and any alias like mine ( A.K.A. Lord Jango Fett ), this and the fact that you can only sign up under one E-mail address/IP number. After this if you move or change E-mail address you have to clear it with the moderator of the section it will go in. The Mod will then check your previous history, by using the Password you give him to see if you were in good standing. If you were not then it should be disallowed and if it was good then O.K. The Points Sytem mentioned should be applied to everyone and they should all start at 0, to make everything fair.
    THANKS FOR THE AT-TE & FALCON HASBRO. NOW IT'S TIME FOR A LARGE TANTIVE IV!

Anyone using the trading forums, should have to log their real name, address, and e-mail with a moderator that will be tracked. That way, someone like Tastesta cannot just make up fake names on the fly and use them. That way, people trading can check the addy and name with the moderator. I wanna read more ideas on fixing this up some, so that the traders here can feel comfortable in trusting people.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Originally posted by JarJarBinks
    Anyone using the trading forums, should have to log their real name, address, and e-mail with a moderator that will be tracked. That way, someone like Tastesta cannot just make up fake names on the fly and use them. That way, people trading can check the addy and name with the moderator. I wanna read more ideas on fixing this up some, so that the traders here can feel comfortable in trusting people.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks
    Good idea JarJarBinks ! Also along with their real name,add, and E-mail, their user name should also come up. 1 username to go with one address, real name, and E-mail. This will also let others know on the forums who you are and prevent using of different usernames and false address to get into the trading forums. I also think if one has a bad experience ( trading and didn't receive anything in return ) that the individual responsible should be blacklisted in the forums for good. Harsh punishment for harsh crimes. This is supposed to help others who can't find what their looking for, and we may have to take messures to ensure that this stays fun and safe for all involved. Anyone else have some more input ? I like to trade but I don't want to be taken for a ride.
    THANKS FOR THE AT-TE & FALCON HASBRO. NOW IT'S TIME FOR A LARGE TANTIVE IV!

question for all

hi

how does your post number change
    i have been a member of this board since 1999 when the ep1 toys came out. and i am still only on 1. i know i have posted almost 100 times just since april
    " AT LAST WE WILL REVEAL OURSELVES TO THE JEDI"

The classifieds sections, do not increase your posts totals numbers. I think its because there can be alot of multiple posting, working out a deal and the mods don't wanna have to worry about post padding issues.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks