Why R2's kouhuns don't match the film versions

When I first saw Ep 2, I wondered why the R2-D2 figure's accessories, the 2 kouhun assassin centipedes, were so different from those in the actual film. StarWars.com confirms the reason: http://www.starwars.com/databank/cre...ouhun/bts.html

"The kouhuns underwent a number of designs, including ones that were more spider-like in shape. Some designs explored the notion of transparent skin showcasing the poisonous venom that coursed underneath. One near final iteration included a more pronounced tail stinger, and it was this version that Hasbro used in developing action figure-scaled versions of the creature."

There's also a picture of the film design that went unused on that page. Personally, I think the version Hasbro went with was more interesting, though they probably would have had to been a lighter color to show up in cinematic projection.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Thanks for the updated info, JT. That's what I figured and tried to explain when people complained about the very first figues that came out. It's hard for everything to be accurate, when the figures and movies are in production at the same time. Add in last minute script changes, digital effects changes, and cut scenes, and you end up with some minor inconsistances.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks
    THE SPY. THE SPACEMAN. THE GODDESS. THE ROBOT. THE GORILLA.

AGENTS OF ATLAS - Returns in Early 2009.

I didn't really notice that they were different since the R2 figure isn't anything to really write Naboo about.
    "Hokey packaging and ancient gimmicks are no match for good detail on your figure, kid."
    "I am a Klingot from Oklahoma in human boy form."
    "We came, we saw, we conquered... We, woke up!"

The Artoo figure shouldn't have had the third leg if he was the Coruscant sentry version anyhow. The whole thing- figure and pack-ins, is incorrect.
    OK... I BLOG. YOU READ. at http://jedipartner1967.livejournal.com
    **Steven Sterlekar (1969-2001)**

Originally posted by JEDIpartnr
    The Artoo figure shouldn't have had the third leg if he was the Coruscant sentry version anyhow. The whole thing- figure and pack-ins, is incorrect.
    Well that's all true but as I've said before, this is still one of my favorite first wave AOTC figures.
    Wha'choo talkin 'bout Hasselhoff?

I still like the figure too... inspite of all of it's flaws. He's fun to play with!
    OK... I BLOG. YOU READ. at http://jedipartner1967.livejournal.com
    **Steven Sterlekar (1969-2001)**