Hybrid View

MIB "deluxe" DVD 2-disc set, what's so great?

On Ebert & Roeper last night, the dynamic duo of cinematic thumb-thrusting touted the new Men In Black deluxe DVD 2-disc set for all its features. However, every single feature they were touting was on the ORIGINAL non-deluxe MIB DVD released a while back - features including the "MST3k-style" commentary, the special-effects multi-layer feature, and a few other goodies. The new 2-disc set has at least one extra the first didn't, I noticed a new special-effect multi-layer feature scene, but there seemed to be nothing so outstanding about this set that wasn't on the original disc. In fact, this new set seems to primarily add only a couple preview pieces for the upcoming MIB2 movie - big whoop.

My point is, usually when a movie goes and does this "Deluxe DVD" crap, it's at least adding features to the original DVD which had few or none; but the original MIB disc seems to have nearly everything this 2-disc set does except promotional material for the sequel. Is there more that I'm missing that makes this worth talking about?
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

This is a bad thing that has been happening lately, re-releasing movies as "Deluxe" editions, and only adding a small promo and trailer from the movies sequel. It happened also with, "The Mummy", "Stuart Little", and a couple others that I can't recall. In other words, there is no reason to do it, no reason to buy it, and no reason that Ebert and Roeper should be touting it. If you want me to dig the links up, I can show you what the major DVD websites think of these craptaculer re-issues.

Here's a small taste from DVDFile.com:

Alright, here's the inevitable question: why do we need a "Deluxe Edition" of Men In Black? Well, the answer is, we don't. However, with the Limited Edition hard to find these days, this is basically a reissue of that release, so if you wanted to pick that one up but couldn't find it, this will do just nicely. But inexplicably, Columbia has dediced to include a pan & scan version of the film instead of a DTS track, which is odd for a "Deluxe Edition" that seems designed to appeal to the collector. Ah, well, the original Men In Black DVD releases still hold up as great special editions, so it is hard to complain with the quality of what is included on this two-disc set.

So, what's new? Well, very little. All we get is a quick Men In Black II teaser trailer, plus a Secret Files "featurette" that seriously runs 3 minutes. ALl it is an extended commercial for the sequel, with some production footage, quick interview bits with the main cast including Will Smith, Tommy Lee Jones and the icky Lara Flynn Boyle, and a few quick glimpses at Rick Baker's makeup creations. Also new is an updated 12-page collectible booklet that includes a new intro by Barry Sonnenfeld hawking the sequel. Yawn. Other than that, the rest is all carried over from the previous, albeit terrific, special editions...

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks
    Last edited by Beast; 06-17-2002 at 06:27 PM.
    THE SPY. THE SPACEMAN. THE GODDESS. THE ROBOT. THE GORILLA.

AGENTS OF ATLAS - Returns in Early 2009.

Now you gotta wait till all the people who worked on the movie are dead so you can get a final version of the DVD.
    "Hokey packaging and ancient gimmicks are no match for good detail on your figure, kid."
    "I am a Klingot from Oklahoma in human boy form."
    "We came, we saw, we conquered... We, woke up!"

They are just trying to promote MIB II with the Deluxe set...
    "SirSteve"
    Check out my new venture:
    CollectionStation.com - A social network for collectors!

Not that it will need a whole lot of promoting anyway. It opens on the 4th of July weekend and is already been hyped up. It's going to make alot of money.
    "You know I love the guy but I swear he writes like freaking Yoda."-Dean Winchester
    R12:2-Be Transformed

Originally posted by SirSteve
    They are just trying to promote MIB II with the Deluxe set...
    Or as Eternal Padawan would type, MIIB

No JT, you certainly are not missing anything that makes the new set worth talking about.
    I bought that double disc "Collector" set from a few years back and it's just as good to me as this new promo set. Even though the discs are nearly impossible to snap out of my box without a horrible creaking sound.
    But I solved that by taking all of my "goofily boxed" discs and stashing them in jewel cases. Of course, now I have to deal with the extra space it takes up.

I add American Pie "Ultimate Edition" to the list of sequel capitalizers.

There is nothing great about it. I mean, it's Men In Black. That answers the question itself.
    "Roger Nasty Butler!"

Thanks for the confirmation guys, this new set is getting its props from the earlier disc - what a rip.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.