Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Thumbs up Dead Zone TV Series - Worth Watching!

As a very long time Stephen King fan/reader/collector I was wary of this show when first announced, but had to watch it at least once.

I must say after the first episode on USA this past Sunday (if you missed it don't worry, it is on like a dozen times) I was very pleased. The story so far sticks very close to the book (with modern day updating) and is extremely well done. Eventually it will go past the story in the novel, but without him sacrificing himself. When it ended I was very eager to see more and am happy to find out 13 episodes throughout the horrible TV summer months are planned.

Anthony Michael "Brat Pack" Hall was very good and doesn't even look like himself after the coma.

Check it out if you haven't - can't lose on a Summer Sunday night!
    Last edited by Thrawn; 06-18-2002 at 03:14 PM.
    For my Star Wars TV List go here
    Viddy Well my Malcolm McDowell/Clockwork Orange Tribute site

I am absolutely shocked, I avoided this one easily and thought you would too after your previous comments, and now to see this thread... I have to see this show based on your glowing recommendation.

The first ep is on 5 more times this week according to my listings (PST) on USA network:
    - Wed, Jun 19 12:00AM-1:00AM
    - Wed, Jun 19 6:00PM-7:00PM
    - Thu, Jun 20 10:00PM-11:00PM
    - Sat, Jun 22 8:00PM-9:00PM
    - Sat, Jun 22 11:00PM-12:00AM

and the next ep:
    - Sun, Jun 23 10:00PM-11:00PM
    - Mon, Jun 24 12:00AM-1:00AM

What's strange to me is that USA owns the Sci-Fi Channel, which has a terrible lead-in for their Friday night lineup - the Fox-aired Night Visions. It seems like The Dead Zone would make much better use of that time slot on that channel.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Well, I watched it and it was pretty good. A little slow in the pacing, but it built the necessities. I've never read the book (or even seen the movie), but this seemed like a solid show. Too bad it's on USA network, they own the Sci Fi channel and neither really gives its viewers a fair shake.

The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Something I recently noticed is that a lot of DS9 and Voyager production crewmembers are big parts of this show. The show was created by DS9 and Voyager co-creator Michael Piller and his son Shawn (who has also written a little for modern Trek). They also have various other roles like writers and producers. Besides them, Joe Menosky writes for this new show and is the executive consultant (Menosky was TNG's executive story editor and wrote and produced for TNG, DS9, and Voyager); Michael Taylor is a writer for DZ who wrote a bunch of DS9 and Voyager eps and was an executive story editor for the latter; and Robert Lederman is DZ's editor, he's been an editor on Enterprise, Voy, DS9, TNG, and also been a writer and director on those last 2. Plus, DZ stars Nicole deBoer who was Ezri Dax on the last season of DS9.

There's also a bunch of other folks from shows like Stargate SG1, Smallville, Seaquest DSV, etc., so you guys just might want to check this show out.

Thank you Thrawn and JT. I'll have to see if I can catch the first show Wednesday night. Nevertheless, I want to be subscribed to this thread. Thanks for the reviews.
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

I wanted to watch from the beginning, but I kept forgetting to turn the television on.
    However, I did catch it night before yesterday and I've got to say, I really liked it. I wanted to ask though, how many episodes have gone by already? I'd like to know how many I've missed.
    I too am a giant fan of Stephen King, although I never read the book of Dead Zone. I watched the movie with Walken, but I really don't remember that too well, I really can only remember the end. Once I can get my bookshelf down a bit, I'll probably pick it (the book) up. I probably actually had the thing, but there was a time when I was off my reading "kick" and I probably got rid of it. That one, plus about 20 other King books. Stupid, I am.
    Anyway, it really does seem to be a good show, and I'm going to continue to watch. It's worth at least checking out, especially if you're a King fan .

End...
    They call them fingers, and yet they don't fing. Noodle that one for a while.
    "Logic dictates we haul @$$." - Mego Spock from Twisted Toyfare Theater; Issue #59

Week 3

Originally posted by Lman316
    However, I did catch it night before yesterday and I've got to say, I really liked it. I wanted to ask though, how many episodes have gone by already? I'd like to know how many I've missed.
    This is week 3. So you can catch #3 on Thurs, maybe only missed 1 so far.

It is one of the best shows I've ever seen. I can't believe there aren't more people watching it here. The premiere episode was the highest cable ratings EVER. The style reminds me a lot of The Fugitive series from the 60s.

Ep 2 was the best so far. E3 was pretty good, but not as good. Hope it doesn't decline a little each week.
    For my Star Wars TV List go here
    Viddy Well my Malcolm McDowell/Clockwork Orange Tribute site

Originally posted by JediTricks
    Something I recently noticed is that a lot of DS9 and Voyager production crewmembers are big parts of this show. The show was created by DS9 and Voyager co-creator Michael Piller and his son Shawn (who has also written a little for modern Trek). They also have various other roles like writers and producers. Besides them, Joe Menosky writes for this new show and is the executive consultant (Menosky was TNG's executive story editor and wrote and produced for TNG, DS9, and Voyager); Michael Taylor is a writer for DZ who wrote a bunch of DS9 and Voyager eps and was an executive story editor for the latter; and Robert Lederman is DZ's editor, he's been an editor on Enterprise, Voy, DS9, TNG, and also been a writer and director on those last 2. Plus, DZ stars Nicole deBoer who was Ezri Dax on the last season of DS9.
    I saw my first ep last night and I really liked it. I'm a big fan of Michael Piller so I hope it does well. Anthony Micheal Hall is doing a great job so far.

On that topic JediTricks, I noticed last nights episode starred Christopher Masterson as the hockey player. Most people know him as Francis, the older brother on Malcom in the Middle. He is also the younger brother of Danny Masterson who plays Hyde on That 70's Show.

I was wondering why he was randomly on this show but then I remembered something. My best friend interned with Michael Piller last summer (he went to UNC where Piller graduated, and he was in Pillers fraternity) which basically meant he spent the summer hanging out at his house doing nothing He said that Masterson came over several times because he is best friends with Pillers son Shawn and they hung out and watched movies.

That story kind of clicked when I was watching DZ. It looks like lots of Pillers friends are helping it out trying to make sure the series succeeds. I hope it does.
    Wha'choo talkin 'bout Hasselhoff?

Yay, now more than 2 people are posting here. Glad you guys are gonna give it a shot, I think you'll like it.

I didn't know about the highest cable ratings thing, are you sure it's not just highest for USA network?

I think this week's ep was the real starting point, the first 2 eps are pretty much just setup. With the producers and writers of this show being from DS9, I bet we'll have a lot of good eps with a few slower eps and 1 or 2 real stinkers - if they follow pattern.

Sounds logical pthfnder89. However, I think Christopher Masterson shouldn't get any more breaks in life, he's already living with Laura Prepon (Donna on "That '70s Show") , he's one lucky devil.

Originally posted by JediTricks

Sounds logical pthfnder89. However, I think Christopher Masterson shouldn't get any more breaks in life, he's already living with Laura Prepon (Donna on "That '70s Show") , he's one lucky devil.
    Lol JediTricks! I actually wrote out something to that effect in my previous post but I deleted it, not wanting anyone to know about my unhealthy Laura Prepon fixation. You're right though, he's about as lucky as a person has a right to be, living with her.

I'm not sure about the highest rated cable show though.The Shield (which is an AWESOME show) supposedly had the highest rated cable premiere, but then again, FX started playing commercials for it a full 10 months before it started, back when it was called Ramparts.
    Wha'choo talkin 'bout Hasselhoff?