Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Originally posted by bigbarada
    Even Lucas knows that the CG creatures aren't totally convincing. When Frank Oz tried to talk GL into making Yoda CG, GL said that he preferred a puppet, "It looks more organic this way" was his reasoning.
    Wish he could be like that for some things in Episode 1!

Oh, well... what are you gonna do?
    Hunt you down and make you watch the scene over and over again until you die of boredom
    GNT
    ''
    You fool, my reach is far greater than the Jedi.Only a Sith can wield the force over such a great distance.'' - Darth Sidious

I've seen too many kids who are totally enamoured with the Podrace to think it totally worthless.

How many action sequences from the OT were worthless and contrived? (Endor Speeder Bike chase springs to mind)

BTW, stillakid, not to sound like a bufoon (damn, too late); but who is Rube Goldberg? The name sounds familiar but I just can't place it.
    "To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence… When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

Lightbulb Rube Goldberg

Oh, sorry. Here is a small piece from his official biography available at http://www.rubegoldberg.com:

Through his 'inventions', Rube Goldberg discovered harder ways to achieve easy results. His cartoons were as he said, symbols of man's capacity for exerting maximum effort to accomplish minimal results. Rube believed that there are two ways to do things, the simple and the hard way, and that a surprisingly number of people preferred doing things the hard way.

For a lot more on him and the concept, visit the website at
    http://www.rubegoldberg.com

Essentially what I've been getting at is that GL had simple concepts to get across to his audience (ie, Anakin was strong with the Force, how to get the heroes off Tatooine, how to retake Naboo, etc) and instead of finding the path of least resistance and highest plausibility, he chose to concoct elaborate "Rube Goldberg-like" schemes which required many clunky and implausible steps to get there. Most people get to read scripts and books well after they've been through a lengthy editing and rewriting process, but I've been fortunate (?) to read many things while they exist in a first or second draft. TPM comes off as classic early draft writing. So many of his ideas are just fine (ie, Pod Race) but with just a little nip and tuck here and there to the story structure, we'd all be praising the film as a worthy continuation of the series instead of wringing our hands in frustration at how poorly it was done.

Originally posted by bigbarada
    I've seen too many kids who are totally enamoured with the Podrace to think it totally worthless.
    I've seen too many kids who are totally enamoured with Britney Spears, 8 years ago it was Mortal Kombat, 35 years ago it was Tang, 45 years ago it was the Hoola-hoop (not that I actually saw the latter 2). Kids like lots of flash and often less substance. Kids seem to like picking their noses too, but that doesn't mean it's a worthwhile pasttime.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Thanks, stillakid! I do remember his name in reference to Tom and Jerry and some Warner Bros. cartoons. These used his notion of extremely complex machines performing rudimentary tasks. (Kind of like computers and the internet to perform the task of simply talking to a person)

You ever play that old board game Mouse Trap? It could be considered a Rube Goldberg theme, I think.
    "To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence… When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

It also shows you never to bet against a jedi, they're ruthless.

Maybe watto meant he "lost everything" on a deeper level. Maybe he really cared for anakin, and was sad to have to let him go. Maybe his heart ached a terrible ache. Anakin was 'everything' to the lonely blue winged troyblahdarin. Maybe thats what he really meant, GL just wanted to show us that watto was the only character with heart and feelings and..
    has everyone else stopped reading this yet?
    Your signature here!

Originally posted by THE Slayer
    has everyone else stopped reading this yet?
    I have!
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Yeouch! You guys are ruthless! Who ever said a scene in a movie had to have a point? Am I the only person who liked the podrace scene? I don't have a clue what the point of the whole lightsaber battle was either, other than to dispatch a couple of main characters, but I thought it was great too. These movies are supposed to be fun. Why ruin it for yourself by overanalyzing it? What's the point of any movie? ENTERTAINMENT
    Thomas Lane
    tlane@parlant.com

Originally posted by ThomasLane
    Yeouch! You guys are ruthless! Who ever said a scene in a movie had to have a point? Am I the only person who liked the podrace scene? I don't have a clue what the point of the whole lightsaber battle was either, other than to dispatch a couple of main characters, but I thought it was great too. These movies are supposed to be fun. Why ruin it for yourself by overanalyzing it? What's the point of any movie? ENTERTAINMENT
    Hmm, at first I was incredulous that these words were actually meant to be serious. I'm not even sure where to start with this one. "Who ever said that a scene in a movie had to have a point?" You can't be serious. Really.

It's really pointless to continue. As a screenwriter, I may just redirect my efforts toward "pointless" mindnumbing fodder for gents like this. Where's Pauly Shore when you need him?

What's the "smiley" for shaking my head in disbelief?

You mean you don't like Pauly Shore?

Seriously though, sure, there were lots of stupid things about Ep.1, but my kids loved it. It was dumb, but it was fun. Amazingly enough, my 3 year old did not turn to me after the pod race scene and say "this film lacks a sense of direction" or "which monster finished third daddy?".

As for a movie having a point, I always though movies were supposed to be a diversion. You guys can rip on it all you want (I enjoy reading the posts), but as for me, I had a wonderful time with my family when I saw it.

Gotta go. I'm off for my third helping of "Zoolander" now...
    Thomas Lane
    tlane@parlant.com