Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

"Hit and Miss"- what's NOT working in AOTC

Everyday, like religion, I log onto the internet and read some of the stuff on <theforce.net> before heading over here to Sir Steve's Guide. There's usually not too much going on there other than some random spoiler news and updates. Sometimes those spoilers and notes are pretty interesting. Someone posted an article entitled "Hit and Miss". It talked about some of the things that are and AREN'T working for AOTC. It was said that the fight scenes are great, but the love story is contrived and laughable. I have included a link to this story for those who would like to read this and put a post up regarding this news.

http://www.theforce.net/episode2/index.html#12413

Some of this information gives me cause to worry... considering the love story is one of the key elements to the future of Anakin and Padme- not to mention Luke and Leia!!

Please read and let's discuss!!!
    OK... I BLOG. YOU READ. at http://jedipartner1967.livejournal.com
    **Steven Sterlekar (1969-2001)**

It seems to me the relationship between ObiWan and Anakin is abrasive, even after 10 years. In the OT, Ben always said they were good friends, but from what I've seen and read, these two have an antagonistic relationship of scolding teacher and petulent student. Whether this turns out to be a "hit" or a "miss" remains to be seen...

I kind of expect the Anakin/Padme relationship to be about as realistic as an episode of Dawson's Creek, thus it's not the area of the film I'm most interested in. It'll probably appeal to more pre-teen girls than anyone else. I just want to see these fight scenes this guy is describing. Plus, the political intrigue stuff will be really cool if it's at least as good as TPM. GL seems to know his history, since you can see parallels to real world events in all his films. However, his people skills are somewhat lacking, which explains the bland characters in his latest films.

Originally posted by bigbarada
    ...I just want to see these fight scenes this guy is describing. Plus, the political intrigue stuff will be really cool if it's at least as good as TPM. GL seems to know his history, since you can see parallels to real world events in all his films.
    I completely agree with you about the fight scenes. I'm sure the staging and choreography is going to be nothing less than stellar! I also agree with you about the political intrigue stuff. I know a lot of my friends didn't get the whole trade embargo angle of TPM. I told them all... look- conflicts usually arise out of things such as trade embargoes and it makes perfect sense for a politician such as Palpatine to get a foothold in such a situation. a year later, when the video came out... they agree with me.

So, yes... I, too, am looking forward to the political angle. I just hope the characters aren't as colourless this time around!! (praying)

conflicts usually arise out of things such as trade embargoes
    Look at the first world war, started because someone owed someone else a bundle of telegraph poles or something equally turgid and pathetic. My worry is that the dialogue will be as confounding as TPM and not be intelligable to twelve year olds. Cuz Lucas makes these movies for twelve year olds right? Okay then. So what the hell was all that Palpatine dialogue about in TPM? How many twelve year olds could fathom that yawn making mouthful? Cool for adults who have some point of reference but twelve year olds? Nah, don't think so George. Who cares about the love story anyway? A sulking Jedi cultist with a vegetable fetish.... sorry couldn't resist that one - I mean the whole point is to cut to the chase and get into the saber battles and shoot outs. That's what folk want out of star wars, with a few nifty links to the OT that aren't trite and contrived like the starfighter to destroyer link thing. Like I've said many times before there's no logic in basing the aircraft carrier on the aircraft it carries. Would the Navy have a ship based on an F-15 fighter plane? No they wouldn't. Stoopid stoopid stoopid design thinking. But then again, the entire thinking behind all the science and technology of star wars is stoopid and would never work in the real world. Anyway back to the point - Every star wars film has had bad sections and vignettes of cringe making awfulness that have had critics reaching for the vitriol pens. So why should this movie be any different? Relying so heavily on CGI can only have some drawbacks despite the freedom it gives the film maker and his financiers. Giving second rate actors nothing to act against for the whole shoot is like asking for wooden performances at the outset. Stilted dialogue only makes things seem even more lacklustre. But what are these films anyway, Performance driven pieces or effects driven pieces? Does the performance matter anymore in this high expectancy audience age? All folk really want is a gun a cool ship and a fight to the death with a chick thrown in for good measure. That in a nutshell is the root of most films these days and as such that is why most films suck. The only thing that seperates a star wars from other films is the attention to background detail and design. Oh and the brand name.
    Not that I'm saying I don't like star wars, rather that I'm just trying to be realistic and subjective (note 'TRYING' to be ) Maybe there are a lot of you who will disagree wildly but hey, it's just an opinion and you can always just stick me in your ignore list if you disagree to the point of exception.

Now why would we do that Jargo? I, for one, am getting quite fond of your periodic rants!

I personally don't think Lucas is a "polished" writer. He admits that a lot of the basics in his storyline come from the Joseph Campbell "Power of Myth" areas....he has the basics of GREAT storytelling down pat.....BUT.....in fine detail areas such as in-depth character development and the intricascies(?) of a love story.....well...."I love you!"....."I know"....may be the best we can hope for. He was probably smart to bring in a co-writer, but , really, who the hell is actually going to have any balls to tell him "that really sucks". Obviously no one did with the title!!!
    I agree with the report....we will see GREAT action and GREAT special effects...as long as we're not looking for details we won't be disappointed.

Originally posted by INDIANA
    .....BUT.....in fine detail areas such as in-depth character development and the intricascies(?) of a love story.....well...."I love you!"....."I know"....may be the best we can hope for.
    Actually, Harrison Ford made up the "I know" part on the set. Kirschner wasn't happy with the scripted response of "I love you, too" and asked Ford to come up with something more Han Solo-ish in response. But I understand what you're trying to say, INDIANA.

"I love you, too."

This just, unfortunately, justifies my point even more......

I think we need Irvin Kirshner back. He wasn't afraid to shake things up and change stuff he didn't like. Plus, he said in an Insider interview that he would love to direct another Star Wars film.