Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks for the advice Laserbrain. I'm afraid your warning came too late. Just listening to you guys discuss customizing has already pushed my interest beyond the point of no return.

If anyone is interested, here is a link to a page I found that shows size comparisons of about 20 different body styles: http://members.tripod.com/cd_goff/male-bod.htm
    It may be the early bird that gets the worm,
    but it's the second mouse that gets the cheese...

Body style No. 8 "Hasbro (Star Wars)" is not a Hasbro Star Wars body.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8-star-wars.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	47.1 KB 
ID:	2652  

N-2PF,

i was looking at that one too, and i was perplexed because my lando didn't come with that body. and actually it would be wrong for them to label one kenner/hasbro body as a "star wars" body, because they have used at least 4 different bodys for their figures.

I'm not even sure Body #8 there is a Hasbro product at all. The materials, the articulation, it all looks different from Hasbro.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Hey, what do you guys think of the Sideshow body? I have a couple of the figures and they pose really well. The first ones had some QC issues with loose legs and all, but the new ones are much tighter from what I've heard. I haven't tried switching outfits yet, as I'm just getting into the 1/6 scale and to be honest a lot of my 12" SW figures have been in storage in their boxes. But now that I'm getting interested in customizing, I'm thinking of doing some body switching.

I don't like the thinner arms on a lot of the bodies. I like my figures beefy! But I do want the extra movement. Any certain body you'd recommend with larger arms for a budding customizer?

sideshow has a good body, but you may have trouble getting the head off the figure. sideshow uses what appears to be resin cast heads, as opposed to the vinyl heads every other company uses.

as for bodies, hasbro has some GI Joe figures who have muscular arms. most of them out now have the "cobra" or "joe" tatoo on the left shoulder, but if you are doing star wars body swaps, that won't show.

here is a pic compairing the standard hasbro arm to the muscle arm:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	p1010031.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	22.8 KB 
ID:	2716  
    Last edited by derek; 07-07-2002 at 08:30 PM.

Yeah, that's much better!

Hmm...only thing is it looks like I'll have to sacrifice the abs joint. Does the new Super Joe body have this joint? I definately like the arms better on the figure on the right in that picture than any of the other bodies I've seen so far. Will I be sacrificing a lot of articulation to get those thicker arms?

Hey, I did some checking and it looks like Sideshow is coming out with an artists body (probably the same body only no clothes). It's supposed to be for anatomy majors, but it might be great for customizing! I hope the head is removable! Of course, I still think the arms are a little thin, but to each their own...have a look see...

Sideshow artist model

"vinyl".

I prefer the less-beefy arms and thighs. I hate having to change a figure's outfit while customizing only to find the donor body's thighs are too large for the costume.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Best custom bodies? (poll) and a question

Just thought I'd throw a little question out to you guys. Which body do you prefer for your customs and why? It seems a lot of people prefer the Dragon bodies, but those are a little on the expensive side. 21st Century used to be the favorite, but now with the drop in their QC and the introduction of the Super Joe body, the line's gotten a little more fuzzy. So which do you prefer?

Also, would 12" generic Joe bodies (the basic grunt in the box) be a much better base than the current SW body (I don't know how much they've improved them since the very first ones)? I found these on clearance recently, and thought I might pick up a few. I'm not really crazy about the thinner arms, but if it means more posability, then so be it. It'll be a cheap upgrade. But how effective?

So what do you think?

Moved from the Customs forum--Best custom bodies/suggestions POLL:

Well it seems this post wasn't customs forum worthy. Anyone who's already answered this question from this forum, I'm not trying to irritate. I thought I'd ask some of the other customizers at the other forum and see what kind of feedback I got, but here we are again. Just getting a thread going with lots of suggestions for 1/6 customs. That way anyone with a question can just look here.

And I'd still like to know if the old Hall of Fame Cobra Commander suit will fit on the new Cobra Commander 12" for those who collect in other lines. I hate the blue arms.

Ok, let's hear some ideas!