Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

The One Thing I Hate

I know that with alot of people, ROTJ (apart from TPM) is thier worst star wars movie, I don't feel this way, I like it just as much, but the only thing that I do really, really hate, no loath, about it is the way that the Ewoks throw rocks at the Storm Troopers head and kill them, these suits are disigned to protect them from blaster fire to a certain extent, so why do rocks hurt them, what do you think?
    "Giggety giggety!"

Jek Porky 2008

Some of those were pretty big rocks. I think if I was wearing a construction helmet and someone dropped a 20 pound rock on my head from 15 feet it would knock me unconscious. And keep in mind that just because those helmets can protect from blaster fire doesn't mean that they can withstand an impact. The protection from blaster fire is probably due to their finish and their ability to reflect light and probably has little to do with sturdy construction.

Besides they didn't really do so well against blaster fire anyway, so if they failed at what they were designed for then what makes you think they would excell at something they weren't designed for?
    "To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence… When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

The Stormtrooper armor seems to just be for intimidation and cheaply made since they rely on numbers to get a job done - not the protection of one "insignificant" minion.

Plus how do you know they weren't knocked out then used for the celebration banquet? Or given a nice long setence in a cell block...
    "Hokey packaging and ancient gimmicks are no match for good detail on your figure, kid."
    "I am a Klingot from Oklahoma in human boy form."
    "We came, we saw, we conquered... We, woke up!"

Well we know that the Stormtrooper helmet can withstand a blow from a door as in ANH.
    "No one helped me so why should I help you?" - College professor circa 1999

By choosing not to decide you still have made a choice.

I'm in love with the women of Univision.

I dunno, did anyone spot a Frankenstien sized Stormtrooper with a dent in his helmet?
    "Hokey packaging and ancient gimmicks are no match for good detail on your figure, kid."
    "I am a Klingot from Oklahoma in human boy form."
    "We came, we saw, we conquered... We, woke up!"

I don't feel that the whole Endor battle is portrayed just right. Seeing the Ewoks crush the speeder with the two logs is one of my all time favorite movie moments, but I agree about the rocks. I wish that GL would change this sequence a little, and make the Ewoks way more vicious. I saw an old trading card at one point with an Ewok lunging over a log at a biker scout with his dagger drawn. Perfect. The story with that card, however, was about the changed version that showed the same Ewok w/o the knife. I don't think GL wanted them portrayed as vicious killers for fear of scaring the kids away (after luring them in so well with Wicket). It would make more sense if they were attacking with a little more urgency. During that same sequence, I also thought the arrows appear to be coming in slow enough to catch. Maybe they'll speed them up for the next version, and possibly make a few stick instead of bouncing off like spitballs.
    GOLDEN DEUCE AWARD WINNER & MABUCON ATTENDEE 2008

From what I've read, GL supervised very closely the entire Endor battle, thus as is his style, it became nothing but one gag after another. The same style he originally used for the Death Star escape in ANH, but a very non-amused studio prompted him to edit out many of the "jokes." (for instance, whenever our band of heroes would come upon a group of Imperials they would put their weapons behind their backs and start whistling while looking up at the ceiling; thus the troopers would pass them on by and not pay them any notice, even though they were supposed to be searching for them )

Of course, George didn't want the Ewoks to be portrayed too viciously in order to keep the kiddie feel; but I also think he was thinking about his career after Jedi and thought it would be much easier to market the Ewoks later if he kept them cute in the movie. However, now that there is no chance for marketability, I think they should dig out all those old Ewok and Imperial costumes and reshoot many sequences to make the battle seem a bit less contrived. I don't mind the arrows or rocks dropped from a distance or any of the ways used to take out the Speeder Bikes and AT-STs; but scenes where the Stormtroopers are shooting at our heroes and the Ewoks come up behind them tapping them with rocks on sticks and the Stormtroopers cry out in pain? Stuff like that has got to go.
    "To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence… When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

Or the simple fact that those little teddy bears defeated soldiers in unarmed hand-to-hand combat.

Originally posted by DeadEye
    Or the simple fact that those little teddy bears defeated soldiers in unarmed hand-to-hand combat.
    But that was the whole point of the Ewok battle. To show how a primitive army could so utterly and totally defeat a technologically superior army. It's the same concept that GL explored when he co-wrote, with John Milius, the script which would eventually become Apocalypse Now. Of course, in the original drafts of Star Wars the Ewoks were originally supposed to be Wookies and I think that if GL hadn't have played up the cuteness factor the Ewoks victory wouldn't seem so unlikely. Technology doesn't automatically ensure a victory. That why we Americans had our butts handed to us in Korea, Vietnam and Somalia.

It's not the fact that the Ewoks were able to defeat the Imperials that bothers me, since history has shown that stuff like that really happens. It's the way it was shown onscreen that smacks more of promoting action figures than showing a realistic depiction of the battle.

Originally posted by bigbarada
    Of course, in the original drafts of Star Wars the Ewoks were originally supposed to be Wookies and I think that if GL hadn't have played up the cuteness factor the Ewoks victory wouldn't seem so unlikely.
    i don't think the change from wookie to ewok was ALL marketing (although i do think it had a part in it...) i feel that it it was out of necessity that they had to change from very tall creatures to very short creatures. face it, there's a lot more "short" people in the world then there are "tall." also, wookies are already characterized as adept with technology, so the whole "non-tech defeating high-tech" idea was another reason to change it. if they had created a new furry race, not wookies, that were the same size as humans, it would have looked bad, so they went the other extreme and made them small.
    Nachos are the right of all sentient beings.

The guns... They've stopped!
    - Dan Akroyd, Star Wars Episode IV - A New Hope