Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Enthusiasm !!!!!!!!!

I'm as quick as anyone here to poo-poo Hasbro for their bonehead lack of responsiveness to our MM / AF wants.

In other aspects of my life, or the lives of my immediate family, when faced with a situation where certain outcomes are governed by forces largely out of my control, I try to focus on the things I can effect.

In the MM / AF arena, what we can effect is our own enthusiasm for those items that are already out. It's obvious that the aftermarket auction prices are momentarily over-inflated due to the buzz from the latest movie, but experience tells us that the prices will drop again after a while. As for any new product that may, or may not be released - if it does, GREAT!, if it doesn't, that will SUCK!, but should we allow that to kill or even diminish our interest in what's already out there or on our shelves? - IMHO - NO!!! It's like so many other things in life - Hasbro only has the power to take away your happiness about MM / AF if YOU give them that power.

To HELL with Hasbro. If they do release any new items (even repaints), I'll buy two of everything. But it will take something truly amazing on their part to ever win any respect or loyalty from me. I'm not holding my breath for that, and I'll be damned if I'll give them the power over me to let them take away my enjoyment of what I already have, and what's still out there for the having.

Other than our customizers like Sakay & BC3, who exemplify the spirit I've been talking about as far as making their situation instead of just being dragged along by the current created by other forces, maybe everyone else who posts here already has everything they want from the existing produxt line, and has nothing new or interesting to say about what they have or hope to get?

When I got most of what was available, boxed, I eventually got the jones to try for openers of everything, too. Unfortunately, I got hot to do this fairly recently, when auction prices are high. But the enjoyment and thrill of seeing the opened ships has been wonderful. Heck, I never knew from looking at my boxed version, that the stand for the Rancor was brown. I'd have never been so interested to open a TF Droid Fighter without reading JG's post about how ingeniously the rotating walking wings/legs mechanism was designed. I just learned from GSJ and r2dee2 this week about the Alpha Snowspeeder variations!

So, what's it gonna be, folks?
    Are you gonna be in charge of your own happiness, or do you forfeit all control of your happiness & enjoyment of these great toys/collectibles to Hasbro?

Well, I'll end this rant for now.
    Last edited by SWAFMAN; 06-22-2002 at 01:09 PM.
    {{{r2dee2}}}
    {{{VT}}}

well see, one thing i like about mms is. . .

. . .they're so cool i don't Have to work up enthusiasm about them; their coolness does all that work for me. they're all joy, no effort
    same goes for remaining positive about their future propects. if & when they're reborn, so much the better; but if i never get any more than the ~175 diff mm ships i already got, i think i'll live i still enjoy my mm collection as much as ever, spending an inordinate amount of each day posing & starin at em (in cafes, during reading breaks or while watchin late-nite tawkshows; after all, mosta the time you don't really need to keep yer eyes on tawkshows)
    i'm obsessed, & it's an effortless obsession, & i ain't alone. if hasbin values bein plugged-in to consumer zietgeist, notices our enduring mm buzz here & acts on it, good for them, they'll make some $$. otherwise, the party goes on without them
    vt

If Hasbro doesn't want to make them, that's their money-loss, not ours. We've got many places to go to get custom MMs made, like the place that BC3 links to on his site. Or we can even try a hand at making our own.
    "Hokey packaging and ancient gimmicks are no match for good detail on your figure, kid."
    "I am a Klingot from Oklahoma in human boy form."
    "We came, we saw, we conquered... We, woke up!"

Re: well see, one thing i like about mms is. . .

Originally posted by vulcantouch
    . . .they're so cool i don't Have to work up enthusiasm about them; their coolness does all that work for me. they're all joy, no effort ...
    i'm obsessed, & it's an effortless obsession, & i ain't alone....
    vt

VT!! (why are you always "under cover" when you are browsing the forum?) My point is that we shouldn't have to work up our enthusiasm. For me, it flows, effortlessly, to borrow your adjective. But as for the obsession being effortless, I propose that we get back from it what we invest into it. Like I said above, without the input to this forum from others, I would not have been so quick (if ever!) to discover cool features or aspects of certain AF items.
    Let's read more about your musings over those MMs you pose while TV chat shows yack in the background. Heck, I can't share those kind of thoughts with my girlfriend or neighbors, without their eyes glazing over while they make out their grocery list in their head, while pretending to listen to my gushing about SWAFs. Right here is a (duh!!!) FORUM for all thoughts Galoosbro.
    You do share a lot with the group. It's just when it seems to me, on balance, that there are as many or more posts (from me as much as anyone) slamming Hasbro & their current/future plans, as there are posts about positive things about the existing releases, I get frustrated.
    {{{r2dee2}}}
    {{{VT}}}

I agree with being happy with all that I have in Micro Machines. There were many made and I do enjoy looking over the detail in each one. But there are so many that can be made. If Hasbro doesn't see this, they probably don't want to. They could dominate on a line of Action Fleet and Micros, that no one is doing.

Darth Carlos

Eh up

I derive a HUGE amount of pleasure from my micros & more recently my AF's (my mrs can't understand why a bloke in his 30's collects little plastic space ships).

Would love some new ones though.

BC3

Red face swaffy: "VT!! why are you always 'under cover' when you are browsing the forum?"

-1: no one ever expressed displeasure about it before
    2: you wouldn't begrudge a guy's attempt to maintain his image of mystery now would you? ("paranoid is what they call people who Imagine threats on their life; i Have threats on my life" -garak to bashir, ds9's "profit & loss" )

"Let's read more about your musings over those MMs you pose"
    -alas, in lieu of no new ones, my year's worth of mm fashreports about covers said thoughts. but:

"while TV chat shows yack in the background"
    -ok, that's a new twist. but i'm not sure i can relate it to mms much, so prepare for eye-glaze:
    i watch the soon-extinct PI (this is its last week) as it's broadcast, along with charlie rose & jay lee-no (the last two only if they have certain guests, which isn't often). the others i tape & watch over meals or whatnot the next day. craig kilborn plays fun at dusk cuz of its los-anj vibe, then letterman, then conan if i didn't get to him over behfust (which i usually do during daylight time; during standard time's longer evening hours i usually watch all 3 at night). then the loathesome carson dildy, again depending on who his guests are. (by then i've about had my fill of them shows, so putting him last comes in handy in case i'm impatient, wanna call it a night & skip that dicquehead ) ff thru all comms of course, and most musical guests (these pinheads- Especially letterman- wouldn't know musical taste if i ground their Faces into it; if i see dave matthews on his show One more time i'm gonna fly to indianapolis & shotgun his hoosier mother!! ) then when that tape's watched i rewind it & load it back into a programmed vcr dedicated exclusively to this daily task- a 15-year-old korean mule so broken-down it no longer rewinds & only records in Black&White anymore, but who cares cuz after all these aren't star treks, just tawkshows, right? ) and record over it w/the next night's batch.
    oh i almost forgot, the last 1/2 hour of craig overlaps w/the 1st 1/2hour of conan, so i watch one or the other as it airs, and record the other.
    as for mms? i keep em mms in a shallow, large shoebox-lid-type box at bedside, under a strong, close, movable light & next to a small desk space, where i can set em up & scrutinize their details up-close while the shows yammer in the background. same if i'm readin; a quick glance over at their non-verbal, abstract shape & color compositions makes for a pleasant break from paragraph-sloggin
    if i was out cafe-slummin, sometimes i'll still be residual-buzzed by how the particular ships i deployed sang that afternoon. otherwise i just set up whatever seems to work that night. i've noticed that i prefer jemhadar in daylight, cuz incandescent light emphasizes the pink of its purple, while i prefer the daylight's emphasis of its blueness
    vt
    Last edited by vulcantouch; 06-24-2002 at 12:27 PM.

(now that's s fun post!)

thanks, VT, you international man of mystery
    Attached Files Attached Files
    {{{r2dee2}}}
    {{{VT}}}

Expand Your Sphere of Influence!

I couldn't agree more with SWAFMAN, our enthusiam is what it will take to bring us through this dark night, the one thing we control is our own sphere of influence, taking it and expanding it to others as we do in these forums. MM & Action Fleet our sure to rebound, due to poor marketing and production Hasbro is alittle hestitant with what the market will bring. This is where this forum and others like it will bring clarity to those in Hasbro to make a decision, keep on writing and welcome others to join us in our crusade to bring back mm & action fleet to a higher level of excellence! The ball is in our court, what we do with it is up to us.

Re: swaffy: "VT!! why are you always 'under cover' when you are browsing the forum?"

Originally posted by vulcantouch
    i rewind it & load it back into a programmed vcr dedicated exclusively to this daily task- a 15-year-old korean mule so broken-down it no longer rewinds & only records in Black&White anymore, but who cares cuz after all these aren't star treks, just tawkshows, right? ) and record over it w/the next night's batch.
    Has occurred to you that it may not record in colour because you've thrashed the living p!$$ out of the tape, which I presume you never replace ?

jeddah