Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Simpsons DVD...your opinion?

I just viewed the first set of Simpsons Dvd's. I was a little disapointed to find out how lame the extra features were. I am not a big fan of the first season episodes anyway but I was hoping for some good background info on the voice talents and such. I am looking forward to the second season DVD's when Homer sounds like Homer and not Walter Mathow. What were your thoughts?
    Like my dad always said, "Be original son. Dont quote someone else."

Excellent, excellent stuff. This set has renewed my interest in The Simpsons, which has been going downhill since Saddlesore Galactica (We are the jockeys, the jockeys are we. We live underground in a fiberglass tree!). I don't care much about special features/documentaries. All of the episodes and their commentaries are what make this set. Thankfully the second season should be out in time for Christmas.

Also a recommended (off-topic) purchase--Oingo Boingo's new 2-Disc Farewell DVD (a few added things not on the Farewell video for good measure!).

So what are the extras on the disks?
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Outside SSG, banging on the window furiously, yelling "LET ME IN!"
    I waited until the end of the month to buy a whole slew of DVDs including Enemy at the Gates, Citizen Kane, Godfather trilogy, and the Simpsons, plus a few more back log titles like Howard Hawks' Rio Bravo....When i pick them up tomorrow, I'll give you a run down of the features (unless someone beats me to it) and Episode1 in TWO WEEKS! (Hurrah!!!)
    Who's a sexy kitty? Who is? Yes, you are. You're a SEXY kitty...

PHONE BOOK Written by Bendis. Art by Jim Lee. Total copies sold: 15 billion.

"Comic Collecting. Miss a decade, miss a lot."

Hmmm... i would just buy the Baseball episode...is it out yet??
    As always...........L

Lobito--that isn't going to be released for a few seasons yet.

JT--All 13 episodes have a commentary and a Dolby 5.1 Digital mix. 4 Scripts with original doodles, notes, and changes marked on. Albert Brooks outtakes from Life on the Fast Lane (very funny). Outtakes from "Some Enchanted Evening" Original Version--extra crappy and good for a laugh. The first Tracey Ullman short. Early sketches. A few short clips of TV documentaries. (Some of the stuff on the 3rd disc is hidden).

I'll be really disappointed if there is no DVD with all of the Ullman shorts released sooner or later. They are a great part of the Simpsons canon and I want to see 'em all.

Watching Life on the Fast Lane today made me realize what made me like the Simpsons in the first place--a comedy that has real drama in it. Unlike today, with Elf Jockeys and such. Not that I care. The new stuff is still funny. It just doesn't have heart, and that is what made the early Simpsons truly great.

hidden stuff?

How does one access the hidden stuff. If its not plain to see( and sometimes even when it is) I miss it entirely. I have only viewed what was in each menue due to an ignorance of the technology.
    Like my dad always said, "Be original son. Dont quote someone else."

Try highlighting the characters on the side of your screen and pushing play.

Thanks Trox old bean! They had a little showcase of what was on the disks last night (on Fox, natch), and while the commentary and alternate scenes looked ok, James Brooks and Matt Groening both seemed to feel the way I did about season 1 - it STINKS.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

JT--Even Bart the General and Life on the Fast Lane? I love those two episodes.