Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I can't wait to see this one--something about an animated alien impersonating Elvis and hula dancing looks like it's right up my alley.

Out of curiosity, darthvyn (or anyone else who's seen it, for that matter), are the "take you by surprise" funny moments as shocking for a Disney flick as the "Voulez vous coochay avec--" SMACK! bit from Atlantis?
    Tommy, close your eyes.

I don't think the emotional part was heavy-handed at all. It seems to me that alot of the Disney films are a bit corny during the emotional parts. They just had to do this one a little differently because it's not a period movie, it's present day. So they had to make the theme and situation's somewhat contemporary. The main theme in the film is about "family" and I thought it fit perfectly.
    Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter.

The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.
    ~SK

I agree with EP. I think all of Disney's musicals were great until Mulan. I didn't care for Tarzan though.

But I think Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, and Lion King are the best movies they have made. Heck, I have the soundtrcks for all of them.

They are trying to do too many things at once, and not really succeeding at any of them. I wish they would stick with their formula that worked, and just deviate occasionally.

I wasn't going to go see this movie, but I may now, since most of you think it was OK.
    "Roger Nasty Butler!"

Originally posted by El Chuxter
    I can't wait to see this one--something about an animated alien impersonating Elvis and hula dancing looks like it's right up my alley.

Out of curiosity, darthvyn (or anyone else who's seen it, for that matter), are the "take you by surprise" funny moments as shocking for a Disney flick as the "Voulez vous coochay avec--" SMACK! bit from Atlantis?
    uh... didn't see it. shocking? yes... some of them are pretty shocking. not sexually, as the above statement seems to be, but just like "holy crap, did that actually happen?" definitely some laugh so hard you lose your breath stuff...

as for the emotional parts... they arent' just stuck in there... the movie as a whole has a good message. they are heavy, not heavy handed.

as for musicals. i don't not enjoy musicals, i just don't think all animation has to be musical. somewhere along the line animation picked up the stigma of being for children. now, while it is very useful in that capacity, there is much more that can be done with it. it's like the stigma around comics. for nearly six decades comics have been lauded as "kid's stuff" while for about three decades now there has been so much mature content in comics. i'm not talking about sex and violence, but true complexity of characterization, intriguing plot lines, intelligent writing, and beautiful artwork. i'm okay that kiddie comics exist. i also realize that they can be much more. i just don't see that amount of respect for either medium very much.
    Nachos are the right of all sentient beings.

The guns... They've stopped!
    - Dan Akroyd, Star Wars Episode IV - A New Hope

I lived in Honolulu almost all my life, and I was wondering how you folks felt Hawaii was portrayed in the movie. Did it seem to be a realistic place? It looks terribly corny, romanticized, and patronizing in the film, and I have avoided seeing it so far.

And yes, we are a state.

my girl dragged me to it but i ended up liking it, best part os the tourist who never gets his icecream
    I dont want to sell you death sticks, i want to go home and rethink my life.

I thought this movie was fantastic. I don't think they did any disfavors to Hawaii... they used watercolors for all the background plates to bring out the lush colors of Hawaii's flora. The story was great, Stitch was not only histarical but so well done that you could believe all of his emotions. And believe me, his emotions are what makes the majority of this film work. The little girl is right in there as well.

I for one think that Disney's apex was The Lion King. Mulan and Tarzan were good, but downhill from Lion King, and anything after Tarzan is largely forgettable. It's nice to see Disney take a chance with a story. My only complaint, is that Disney greats are usually timeless. The stories are set in a time, but the language and feeling carry through to all generations. Mermaid, Beast, & Lion King. Lilo & Stitch seemed a little heavy on contemporary. Not that I am complaining, I loved it. I just wonder how it will sit with the others over time. Legends title or not?

Either way it is a must see.

MG,

Thanks I'll probably catch it once the crowds die down.

Outside SSG, banging on the window furiously, yelling "LET ME IN!"
    That's funny, MG, I've always watched Disney's "timeless" animated movies and could see a direct reflection of popular culture at the time it was made. 101 Dalmatians, The Jungle Book, The Aristocats, Robin Hood, etc all have very distinct timely personalities, from their animation style to the dialogue in the film. (Daddy-o?). The same holds true for the more recent ones of the 90's. Aladdin was a hotbed of popular culture in jokes, but the there are plenty of other "current" references in the other movies as well. It reflects our constantly changing culture to sit down and watch the films in the order of their release. It's a blast, too!
    Who's a sexy kitty? Who is? Yes, you are. You're a SEXY kitty...

PHONE BOOK Written by Bendis. Art by Jim Lee. Total copies sold: 15 billion.

"Comic Collecting. Miss a decade, miss a lot."

Yeah, I guess you're right. When I watch Robin Hood today (One of my personal favorites) I don't even hear any of the cultural things, they just blend into the story I am watching. So, while Lilo & Stitch looks contemporary today, tomorrow it will probably just stand as an incredibly fun story! Good point Eternal Padawan.