Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    That preview sounds pretty cool! I hope it's as good as the NJO series! :happy:

Originally posted by El Chuxter
    Like I, Jedi--as much as I loved that book, the new info we've learned about the Jedi Order and the Clone Wars has seriously called some of the stuff into question. Like all Jedi vanishing, or Obi-Wan being from Tatooine. Never mind how Obi-Wan found enough time just before and during the Clone Wars to smash a Dark Jedi uprising (never mind that there were few or no Dark Jedi running around at that time).
    Really?! I loved that book and I still consider it one of the best. I didn't see any of that stuff. Guess I'll have to go back and reread it! Does the book actually state that Obi Wan was from Tatooine, or did it state that he lived there (an important distinction)? Maybe you recall where in the book it says that? Maybe Corran Horn was confused about the timing of Obi Wan's battle with the Dark Jedi (or about the event itself); it doesn't seem that there are a whole lot of reliable records from Obi Wan's past left during the time of the book. Anyway, thanks for giving me an excuse to reread such a great book!
    Last edited by RooJay; 06-28-2002 at 03:01 AM.

I'm looking forward to it, but I doubt if I'll immediately buy it. I'll wait and see if the library gets a copy first.

Originally posted by JarJarBinks
    Yep El Chuxter, but they can be fun reads, but definatly have to be taken with a grain of salt. That's why I don't consider many of them, as not really Expanded Universe tales, but more as Alternative Universe Stories. The newer books are alot better at being classed EU though.
    That's the best way to read most of them. Otherwise the little (or sometimes big) inconsistancies will drive you mad.

Some of the things that the authors came up with just drove me nuts, even if they weren't contradictory. I can't remember which it was, but in one of the novels, Luke finds Vaders former castle, which is shaped (get this) exactly like Vaders HEAD. Ok, this isn't He-Man folks...

Not only does Luke find the crumbled castle, but he also reconstructs the destroyed remains using the Force. That's a pretty far cry from any of the powers of the Force shown in the movies. Or even in most of the other books.
    Wha'choo talkin 'bout Hasselhoff?

in some books, luke can fly and talk with animals--that's why zahn toned him down in the hand of thrawn duology

boy needed a smackdown!

barbara hambly wrote the worst stuff--callista never happened, sorry--and why didn't someone in lucasland catch the non-engineered talking gammorreans, throw the book in the garbage, take hambly out into a dark alley, and cane her into submission?
    [font=courier]"looks like i could use some fabric softener"[/font]

Wasn't that in the Black Fleet Crisis books with Luke and the castle? I know in the first book there's mention of Vader's former castle.

I pick and choose the books because the writing varies so much. I've enjoyed Stackpole's Rogue Squadron books and Zahn's stories, but some of the other writers are so-so.

At SWC2, my friend and I had the opportunity to listen to the NJO author roundtable discussion. It was very interesting. There are do's and don'ts the authors must follow, like no cursing, etc... but other than that, the writers have creative freedom.

Zahn is supposed to write another SW novel in the future, possibly in the NJO storyline.

Originally posted by pthfnder89

That's the best way to read most of them. Otherwise the little (or sometimes big) inconsistancies will drive you mad.

Some of the things that the authors came up with just drove me nuts, even if they weren't contradictory. I can't remember which it was, but in one of the novels, Luke finds Vaders former castle, which is shaped (get this) exactly like Vaders HEAD. Ok, this isn't He-Man folks...

Not only does Luke find the crumbled castle, but he also reconstructs the destroyed remains using the Force. That's a pretty far cry from any of the powers of the Force shown in the movies. Or even in most of the other books.
    THAT BLOWS The person responsible for that gets paid to write?!! Was this person older than 10?!

Originally posted by anarky
    barbara hambly wrote the worst stuff--callista never happened, sorry--and why didn't someone in lucasland catch the non-engineered talking gammorreans, throw the book in the garbage, take hambly out into a dark alley, and cane her into submission?
    I hear that! Never having read any of the books that involve Callista, whom I thought had to be the stupidest character ever devised for a Star Wars book, I can honestly say that for me...Callista did inded never happen! That's the coolest thing about the EU, if you don't like something about it you can ignore it and pretend it didn't happen (or make up your own version of the events!). Jedi princess what? Her spirit was trapped where? She and Luke what? This IS Star Wars, right? I agree anarky...she never happened!
    Last edited by RooJay; 06-28-2002 at 05:29 PM.

Originally posted by OC47150
    Zahn is supposed to write another SW novel in the future, possibly in the NJO storyline.
    i've heard zahn is writing one or two prequel-era books in the next year

my guess is he's getting a chance to iron out some seeming inaccuracies regarding the clone wars, dark jedi, and other details from his and buddy stackpole's books

if this is the case, i hope to see jorus c'baoth, outbound project, thrawn, kieron halcyon, and the yoda/bpfasshi battle on dagobah
    [font=courier]"looks like i could use some fabric softener"[/font]

Thumbs up

The good news is that we will know more about Anakin's past...the bad news is that we will have to wait until 2003 to get the book...oh well, the DVD will be out by then!!
    As always...........L