Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Well, remember that the Klingon language book has been out a lot longer than the Huttese one (which just got released a month ago, IIRC), so give it a few years and we'll see. As for why Trekkies get singled out for the nasty stigma, I think it's because they were the first and there are more of them.

As for Shatner's book, he really REALLY was an outsider to the Trek fandom until he wrote the book, he didn't understand the whole thing, he didn't know his "Get a life!" comment on SNL would be taken so harshly, though he did mean it at that time.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

I saw a bit on The Man Show in which the two hosts cut in a TPM line, and the SW fans were REALLY upset. Pretty funny stuff.

But really, a movie just like Trekkies could be made about ANY group of fans. How many times would I be hunting for SW figs while looking with disgust at all of the people clamoring for Beanie Babies a few years ago?

I love football (go Browns!) but living in Wisconsin, I could make a movie about Packer fans that would challenge Trekkies for king ''geekitude''.

Or I could make it about NeckCAR fans, WWF fans, D&D fans . . . .

JediTricks stated that comparing ST and SW fans was an apples and oranges thing. He's right, but there are many other fruits in that basket, and I have listed but only a few!

the browns!!! OUCH!! Just kidding...congrats on the victory against SD!
    "Luke, join the dark side, it's so wizard!"

I remember in my high school days when I was the biggest Trek fan of my life. I would spend all my time reading the novels (up to 36 per year!) and building the models. However, the moment of utmost geekness was when I wrote a 50 page term-paper on Star Trek for my 11th grade English class. When it came time to give my oral presentation, I got up in front of the class, in Spock ears, and recited the entire opening monologue to the original series. I had people coming up to me days later saying how much they liked my presentation. Plus, my English teacher gave me an A+ on the report! My thesis was on how such a highly criticized show and, by all counts, a ratings failure, could become such a phenomenon.

My Star Trek fandom went steadily downhill from there, and I have never done anything that geeky when it comes to Star Wars.
    "To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence… When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

Talking

I remember EPI opening day...i was in Montreal, and i got 3 tickets to see the last show of opening day (midnight). So i went with two other friends to watch the movie...the place (theater) was crowded!!! Even at that time there were ppl dressed as Darth Vader, Stormtroopers, etc...anyway...as we entered the theatre, there was one lady that took 3 places, but two other guys saw the seats and wanted to sit there. They started arguing...the girl that arrived first said that the places were for his hubby and his son...but they were still outside buying popcorn and sodas. As this was happening an employee of the theatre entered the scene and asked what was the problem...to which the guy that wanted the seats answered..."we are part of the rebel alliance, and this lady is an imperial traitor that wont let us sit in these places"...(or something like that)...Finally the hubby arrived with his son and the two guys disappeared in the act. Now that guy really had geeky problems!! hehehe
    As always...........L

Yeah dont get me wrong, Star wars fans are just as bad as star trek fans. Heck, I saw the same things as you did. I remember that when I had seen EP1 that there was people dressed and fighting with light sabers, and staying outside the movie theaters for days. On the other hand, we are talking about a movie series that hasnt been out for 16 yrs I think. However, there is a trek movie what seems to be 3 to 4 years. And the trekkies do dresse up for the movies. Is there anything wrong with that. Absolutely not. I hope that in fact people do keep that up. When you think about it, why is that trekkies are more notable when people think about sci fi frieaks?
    "Luke, join the dark side, it's so wizard!"

I've been to an awful lot of big Trek movie openings and the big 5-movie marathon that premiered the ST 6 trailer (it was called "Sit Long and Prosper", I still have my ticket and the official t-shirt) and even at all of those, I rarely saw people in Trek costumes, much less so than my 3 viewings of Episode I on opening day.

I think the general public has been given a lot more access to Trek conventions and see these few folks who dress up like Klingons in real life and think that's how it is for those Trekkies all the time. Many folks think that we SW fans are all like that all the time too, with our lightsabers and stormtrooper costumes and what-not, but I don't think the general public thinks of Star Wars fans in those terms as much simply because they haven't been exposed to it nearly as much as with Trek.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.