Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

not a complaint, but a caution & a question...

I received a delivery from the UK today, and I want to mention it, to make sure if any else buys from thie eBay seller, to be sure to ask the right questions and get firm answers before you bid.

This issue was really one of caveat emptor. I should have asked better, more specific questions before buying. I accept responsibility.

Here's the meat & potatoes:
    this auction's description said the box was "A little worn in places but pretty good."

I'll post a scan of the box. I had to cut the right side off the pic to get the image file within SSG attachment filesize limits, but you can see the worst part.

So, is it just me, or does this meet the seller's - grommit36 - description?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	italiatiefightertopcut.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	24.9 KB 
ID:	2434  
    {{{r2dee2}}}
    {{{VT}}}

Ugh, that box looks a bit more than a "little worn" and the pic on the auction doesn't reflect the actual state of the box. The auction listing was definately misleading, but as you said yourself - caveat emptor. Next time I see an auction that says "a little worn", I'm going to ask the seller for pics of every side of the box. Thanks for posting.
    Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter.

The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.
    ~SK

Hey SWAF

Bummer - I would at least neutral feedback him.

In future, if you want to avoid being ripped off by excessive shipping charges, I would be happy to bid and aquire stuff for you here in the UK (GSJ and myself run the same system).

Also, I know a store about 30 miles from me that has a few Italian AF's - are you collecting them? if so, what do you need.

LMK

Cheers

BC3

Well, I would say that it is all relative. To you, a serious collector who wants one of everything in a mint box that box is more than "a little worn in places". To some dude selling "crap" that he bought on clearance somewhere that description is more than accurate because he is not a collector and does not realize how important the description of the item is to potential bidders.

The seller doesn't have any other auctions going so I couldn't tell if they sell a lot of SW stuff. If they do then they are probably aware of the collecability factor but if they don't then they probably don't even know what it is that they were selling. Judging by the auction's title "STAR WARS MICRO MACHINES TIE FIGHTER SET", I would say they don't really know much about the toy. They would have listed it as "Action Fleet" and would have omitted the word "set" from the title had they really known anything. They probably didn't even realize that the toy would be bought for a collection instead of for a kid.

I would say that the seller didn't do anything to mislead you, and that you are right, you should have asked more questions (or assume the worst when a seller says the packaging is damaged to any degree). I've had the exact same thing happen to me before and I realized that it really came down to "I should have asked more questions" or "I should have assumed the worst when there was no photo or condition description".

In the end you are still the owner of a pretty rare AF item and I think that's pretty cool.

re: Darth Shifty's
    "Next time I see an auction that says "a little worn", I'm going to ask the seller for pics of every side of the box."
    if so, then my post served its purpose! good for you!

re: BC3's
    I know a store about 30 miles from me that has a few Italian AF's - are you collecting them? if so, what do you need.
    The only AFs I have in the italian boxes are a Rancor & the TIE Interceptor discussed herein. So, realistically I need any except the Rancor. If you do have a source, I'd be interested in any of them but please don't lay out any of your $ for any of them before verifying I have the budget to buy them at the time.

thanks much!
    {{{r2dee2}}}
    {{{VT}}}

Hey SWAF

The next time that I am in the town (Blackpool), I will nip in and see what he has (I know he has the T-16 & Mill Falc, but I think that they are about 15 UK).

Cheers

BC3

thanks, BC3! That's about market for a decent boxed falcon. it's a stretch for a T-16, but if the store has them, please let me know. Anything I can ever look for or help you get from here, please let me know.
    {{{r2dee2}}}
    {{{VT}}}

Crackling toast, Grommit!

Hmm, I agree that the auction pic looks wayyyy better than the overhead shot you posted. Yet, the auction pic shows some depression on the top of the box . . . it just looks better from that angle.

No, I do not agree the description matches the seller's description. However, the words "good" and "little" are rather vague, so I agree it serves as a caveat for future purchases.

Goodness, what is that smudge on the Italian logo - a thumbprint ?

The mark on the logo is a sort of stress-crinkling of the cardboard. It takes a very strong light, like the one from my scanner, to make it look like it does in the picture I posted. In normal light, it dosn't look quite so much like that smudge or thumbprint.
    {{{r2dee2}}}
    {{{VT}}}

Britcit: If the T-16 and Falcon are in non-US packaging I'd love to get one of each too. I have about 5 Italian packaged AFs currently. I know I have the Interceptor, Y-Wing, Rancor, and Slave 1. I think I have one other but I'll have to check. Any others I'd really like to have. LMK.

Later,
    S43