Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    I love LOTR. But I think price, and the fact that I TRY to focus on on just SW figures, straying not too often. For some reason I wasn't impressed by the LOTR figs, even though I wanted to be.
    "Roger Nasty Butler!"

Originally posted by great gatzby
    Yeah, but what about the property itself. Do you see it having the longevity that SW has? Especially if they go back and make the Hobbit?

As far as the toy line I definately see that there are not enough charecters and that they are too big.
    Well, let's see here;

LOTR has been around a lot longer than SW, and they've been making LOTR toys for decades. Its just that most LOTR toys have always been marketed towards collectors and fans. And there are many MANY more characters in LOTR (and middle earth) than there are in Star Wars. But since they're all relatively human or human-looking, a vast toy line won't work because so many of the characters look similar.

Interest in LOTR has always been more of an underground thing (up until the movies came out at least) whereas since Star Wars is relatively newer, and was a movie first, its more main stream.

I personally think that LOTR will have a constant fan base for many more decades, while after SW3 comes out, new interest in SW will die off rather quick. Think of what the Star Wars fan base was like in the late 80's to early 90's. That's what I picture the Star Wars franchise to be in the future. Whereas LOTR will always have more of an underground, but higher sophisticated fanbase, as it has now.
    "Watch this, I'm going to horrify you into a coma..."

Originally posted by Wolfwood319
    LOTR has been around a lot longer than SW, and they've been making LOTR toys for decades.
    LOTR is only 23 years older than SW, not really THAT long in the scheme of fantasy entertainment (for example, Star Trek is 11 years older than SW and the movie 2001:A Space Odyssey is only 9 years older than SW). And I believe the first LOTR toy line came out 2 years after Star Wars and was a HUGE flop (they were based on the Ralph Bakshi LOTR animated film from '78). Then there were no toys until only a couple years ago with the somewhat popular LOTR toys from Toy Vault.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Originally posted by JediTricks
    LOTR is only 23 years older than SW, not really THAT long in the scheme of fantasy entertainment (for example, Star Trek is 11 years older than SW and the movie 2001:A Space Odyssey is only 9 years older than SW). And I believe the first LOTR toy line came out 2 years after Star Wars and was a HUGE flop (they were based on the Ralph Bakshi LOTR animated film from '78). Then there were no toys until only a couple years ago with the somewhat popular LOTR toys from Toy Vault.
    So, what's your point? Everything I said was true. LOTR has been around since before I was born, Star Wars hasn't, so for me, LOTR has been around a lot longer than Star Wars. 23 years in this era is rather a long time. The actual concept of fantasy entertainment really didn't start until LOTR and Lewis' Narina, anyway.

If you count The Hobbit into the LOTR picture, then the story was around 40 years before SW. The Hobbit was published in 1937, it took Tolkien 17 years to write the sequel because of a minor, little inconvenience called WW2.

When it comes to toys, I will pick Star Wars simply because the LOTR toys are too big and expensive for me. I prefer the little metal miniatures for fantasy characters anyway.

However, when it comes to movies I will take LOTR over ANY SW film anyday of the week and twice on Saturday! I've been waiting my whole life to see a well made fantasy film and LOTR has thus far pulled that off brilliantly and beyond what I ever imagined!

Toy Biz's LOTR toys are rather cool, very good likenesses, considerable acuralation (sp?) and some cool accessories, Ill be the first to tell you i DO have 4 LOTR toys (Saruman, Gandalf, Ringwraith, and ringwraith with horse) But my star Wars toys would beet them about 150 to one each (havent had time to count them all yet just a rough estimate) true LOTR has been around longer than SW they are all great books believe me, but in terms of movies, LOTR was really really good, i enjoyed star wars more but that is simply due to me being a huge fan, they are all good movies *except that piece of drabble called episode 1* I will see The Two Towers probobly opening day, like i saw Star Wars the opening day. Just my 2 cents
    "I assume my reputation for arrogant presumption precedes me"-Area man

Wolfwood,

You said that a vast LOTR toy line wouldn't work because there are too many human or human like characters but what about Star Wars? Most of the main characters are human and have been re-done over and over again with different outfits. I don't think that's the problem. The biggest problem is size and the amount of figures Toy Biz has released.

I don't know about a toy line for LOTR being around longer than that for SW, but I will say that there will never be a figure line more popular than SW unless you throw in GI Joe and Barbie, which have been around for ages. No LOTR will ever be as popular as that of SW as far as toys or merchandise goes. Maybe there's a fan base wider for LOTR than for SW, but the SW line has been a hit since its inception. LOTR was released in much smaller quantities than SW with less figures and no playsets.

When LOTR the movie was first released, it was an instant hit, but where were the displays in the stores for merchandise? I never saw more than 6 pegs of LOTR ever at any toy store. In contrast, during a non-SW release year there were tons of different POTJ or POTF2 figures and with new ones always coming in.

Plus how many times have you gone into a place like TRU and seen 4-5 SW collectors rifling through the pegs while tumbleweeds blow through the LOTR aisle?
    "I'm just a YES man trying to make my way in the universe." - Jango McCallum

"Good dialogue and smooth editing are no match for a good YES man by your side, kid." - George Lucas

Originally posted by great gatzby
    Wolfwood,

You said that a vast LOTR toy line wouldn't work because there are too many human or human like characters but what about Star Wars? Most of the main characters are human and have been re-done over and over again with different outfits. I don't think that's the problem. The biggest problem is size and the amount of figures Toy Biz has released.
    Agreed, but I was talking in terms of a "general market" toy line, not a collector's line. Unless Toybiz did the "batman trick" and started making figures like "Jungle Attack Gandalf," and "Hydro blast Gimli," there just isn't enough ''general interest'' for a long-term LOTR figure line (like SW), IMO. I'd personally love a full-blown line, but its just not likely to happen in the scale that Star Wars is in.

As for the Star Wars line always been a hit...

Remember the figures that came out between '87-'94? Thought so. The interest and demand just wasn't there. After ROTJ, interest dropped off sharply (in terms of General Public interest), and even in 95' they weren't sure the new line would work. I'm sure the same it'll be the same situation come 5-6 years from now. After SW3, the interest will dropp off considerably again, and only the hardcore fans (like those who frequent sites like these) will really care anymore.

It would be very hard for LOTR to catch up in terms of sheer numbers of collectors. I can't imagine the most popular figure from LOTR, whoever it may be, has sold 10% of the units of the worst selling SAGA figure. IF the toys were similar in size and price, they may have had more luck catching kids doing comparison shopping.
    Hasbro now (and Kenner before them) has succeeded so resoundingly in breeding completism in it's collectors, it's hard to imagine any other line competing. The "collect them all!!!!!!!!!" mindset has overtaken us worse than any other toy collecting group that I know of. Maybe the hotwheels guys can compete. The common threads are lower unit cost, many different and unique units, and the addition of lower run exclusives or short prints that drive the frenzy. LOTR may have a couple of these bases covered, but they're still too big and too expensive to compete.
    GOLDEN DEUCE AWARD WINNER & MABUCON ATTENDEE 2008