Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 46
  1. #31
    Originally posted by Wolfwood319
    So, what's your point?
    Besides the fact that there "they've been making LOTR toys for decades" is inaccurate? My other point was that compared to HG Wells' and Jules Verne's bigger genre works - which are over 100 years old - 23 years isn't all that long. I think fantasy entertainment has been around a lot longer than LOTR and Narnia (which are basically the same era, Tolkien and Lewis were even contemporaries, co-workers, and friends), even Mark Twain wrote a little fantasy.

    Originally posted by bigbarada
    If you count The Hobbit into the LOTR picture, then the story was around 40 years before SW. The Hobbit was published in 1937, it took Tolkien 17 years to write the sequel because of a minor, little inconvenience called WW2.
    I don't count the Hobbit, the flavor is vastly different since it was created as a children's story with a different flavor and feel. I have heard Tolkien created it by telling a story for his own kids that he would build. Plus, another reason I wouldn't count it is that it took nearly an entire generation to get them out to the public... hmm, where else have I heard of that though?

    I've been told Tolkien took so long to write LOTR because he was meticulous about every single detail being perfect, stuff like word usage and historical background he would spend months on.

    One question BB, aren't you the person who doesn't like the Force aspects of Star Wars and the lightsabers?


    ManCan, perhaps you could edit your statement to "there will never be a licensed figure line more popular than SW", since part of the longevity of Barbie, Hot Wheels, and GI Joe is the fact that Mattel and Hasbro don't have to pay licensing fees on those lines which allows them greater marketing risks.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

    "We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

  2. #32
    The topic here is a bit of a bummer. I would hate to have to choose one at the expense of missing out on the other. ALL the movies, books and toys from these two entities are great. You really can't go wrong here.
    GOLDEN DEUCE AWARD WINNER & MABUCON ATTENDEE 2008

  3. #33
    Originally posted by JediTricks
    I've been told Tolkien took so long to write LOTR because he was meticulous about every single detail being perfect, stuff like word usage and historical background he would spend months on.
    JediTricks, I have to recommend to you, and anyone else curious about the real truth about why it took him so long to write LOTR, and also where Tolkien got his insperation for certain things, pick up the DVD of the National Geograhic Special, Beyond the Lord of the Rings. Its avaliable now, or you can get a special extended version in the 5 disc extended special box set of FOTR in November.

    It tells the story of Tolkien's life, his growing up in small farming community like the shire, his service in the war, and pretty much everything you ever wanted to know about him. There are some interviews from the cast, especially Christopher Lee. Christopher Lee personally knew Tolkien, and from what I understand, actually helped on the set, with some of the pronunciations of the languages.

    MTFBWY and HH!!

    Jar Jar Binks
    THE SPY. THE SPACEMAN. THE GODDESS. THE ROBOT. THE GORILLA.

    AGENTS OF ATLAS - Returns in Early 2009.

  4. #34
    JJB, so was what I heard wrong, right, what? Is there a point to your advertisement of this DVD beyond "learn more by clicking here"? Not trying to be rude, but I'm no more informed now than I was when I read the article that contained that information I mentioned about Tolkien's meticulousness being the cause and an encyclopedia listing that confirmed it.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

    "We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

  5. #35
    Originally posted by JediTricks
    JJB, so was what I heard wrong, right, what? Is there a point to your advertisement of this DVD beyond "learn more by clicking here"? Not trying to be rude, but I'm no more informed now than I was when I read the article that contained that information I mentioned about Tolkien's meticulousness being the cause and an encyclopedia listing that confirmed it.
    Well, it's not quite as simple as those sources that you are talking about made it out to be. It was alot more then him just being meticulous and detailed. Like the fact that the Nazi's were bombing London at the time he was writing, and that his own son was in the war at the time. It's not an advertisment, I'm just saying that if you wanted to know more about Tolkien that it was a really good information source. Pardon me for pointing out how intresting and in depth the DVD is about his life, and where alot of the themes of Lord of the Rings is from. Sorry, didn't to upset you so much for recommending somthing. I thought that was somthing ok to do, since you do it alot yourself.

    MTFBWY and HH!!

    Jar Jar Binks
    THE SPY. THE SPACEMAN. THE GODDESS. THE ROBOT. THE GORILLA.

    AGENTS OF ATLAS - Returns in Early 2009.

  6. #36
    "Well, it's not quite as simple as those sources that you are talking about made it out to be."

    Why didn't you say that in the first place? You had information pertinent to the statement you were quoting and you could have shared even a little of it with us, but instead you simply suggested we go buy a DVD without any reason beyond "you'll learn about this guy" - not even, "you'll learn about this guy and why it isn't nearly as simple as what you heard JT". I was a bit frustrated because by quoting my statement, you seemed to be saying that statement wasn't accurate, but I wanted to know why I wasn't accurate even with a hint of an explanation. I didn't want to have to go spend my time looking for and then watching hours and hours of a DVD that may or may not have something to do with my comment simply based on what I thought you MAY have been hinting at in here.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

    "We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

  7. #37
    Oh ok, no problems JT. I thought you were slapping me upside the head for trying to be an infomercial. I was just trying to say that the sources that stated that info, was greatly simplyfing the story around the books. I'll watch the DVD again tonight, and take some notes and actually post some info about it tommorow. Again sorry, it wasn't meant as an advertisment. Just a source for more info.

    MTFBWY and HH!!

    Jar Jar Binks
    THE SPY. THE SPACEMAN. THE GODDESS. THE ROBOT. THE GORILLA.

    AGENTS OF ATLAS - Returns in Early 2009.

  8. #38
    Originally posted by JarJarBinks

    JediTricks, I have to recommend to you, and anyone else curious about the real truth about why it took him so long to write LOTR, and also where Tolkien got his insperation for certain things, pick up the DVD of the National Geograhic Special, Beyond the Lord of the Rings. Its avaliable now, or you can get a special extended version in the 5 disc extended special box set of FOTR in November.
    JarJar- Do you mean that the NG Documentary included in the boxed set is an extended version? Or do you just mean that the documentary is included with the extended cut of the LOTR film?

    I thought that the NG Special that is included in the boxed set was the exact one that is available in stores seperately.
    Wha'choo talkin 'bout Hasselhoff?

  9. #39
    Originally posted by pthfnder89
    JarJar- Do you mean that the NG Documentary included in the boxed set is an extended version? Or do you just mean that the documentary is included with the extended cut of the LOTR film?

    I thought that the NG Special that is included in the boxed set was the exact one that is available in stores seperately.
    Yes, the ones that is included in the big 5 disc boxset of FOTR that comes with the Weta statues. It's supposed to be a longer cut of the version that is avaliable seprately. Now I have to take my older copy, and sell it on ebay.

    MTFBWY and HH!!

    Jar Jar Binks
    THE SPY. THE SPACEMAN. THE GODDESS. THE ROBOT. THE GORILLA.

    AGENTS OF ATLAS - Returns in Early 2009.

  10. #40
    Originally posted by JarJarBinks

    Yes, the ones that is included in the big 5 disc boxset of FOTR that comes with the Weta statues. It's supposed to be a longer cut of the version that is avaliable seprately. Now I have to take my older copy, and sell it on ebay.

    MTFBWY and HH!!

    Jar Jar Binks
    That's excellent news. I held off getting it seperately because I knew it was going to be included in the Deluxe LOTR package, but I'm even more happy to hear it will be a longer version.

    I'm too lazy to sell anything on Ebay so I know it would just sit around collecting dust when I got the new one.
    Wha'choo talkin 'bout Hasselhoff?

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO