Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    There's also two bird-like vehicles that are available. I can't remember the name of He-Man's, but Skeletor's is something like Terror-Dactyl.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

I picked up He-Man (cross version, not asterisk) and Skeletor today, left behind the role-play sword, Beast Man, Man-at-Arms, both deluxes, Battle Cat, and Castle Grayskull (which explains the plugged holes in each figure's foot, it's commtech-esque... too bad the playset looks super boring and it's fifty bucks). He-Man and Skeletor rule, though I don't know why He-Man is on a regular card and Skeletor is on a tri-lingo card. I really like these figures, but I don't think I'll be getting ALL the other figures, maybe a few here and there but definitely not most of the ones from the first wave (at best, Stratos will be joining the crew if I hear he's good) simply 'cause they don't really suit my tastes. The articulation is very nice, the figures feel quite substantial. Both figures' accessories and especially swords are great fun, but I like Skeletor's original-concept Power Sword better.

The talking role-play sword and deluxe talking he-man are kinda lame simply because He-man's voice is really not so... "he-manly", but luckily I didn't buy either.

This line kicks, I really like the paint apps and most of the materials (I don't like the slightly-translucent plastic for He-man's accessories, that's about the only prob), and the design is very top notch. These will make great kids' toys and great display toys, I'm sure; I hope they have a long run and make kids and collectors alike very happy.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Damn, I should check this forum more in the future. I missed a thread about my favourite childhood toyline.

At this stage I only have He-Man (cross version) as I have to try and import everything. JT from what I've heard about Grayskull it is one hell of a toy. The chips are for recognition, when you place a figure at the door it greets whomever it is standing there. If you already have a figure inside that is the same affiliation as another standing at the door it will say for example "Welcome He-Man, Stratos awaits you inside." I forget what the exact dialogue is. If you place a bad guy at the door, where the good guys are warned to step back, the Drawbridge will come crashing down on the bad guy's head. Inside the Castle is another recognition area. Here it will direct good guys to move a certain stone to reveal a chrome Powersword, the bad guys will be instructed to stand over a trap door. There are also plans to release add on sets for Castle Grayskull.

Now for my He-Man review.

The first time I saw the He-Man design was the 2up Mattel unveiled on their official website - I hated it. I thought it was too anime with it's wild hairstyle, oversized, over-detailed weapons and psychotic mass-murderer expression. How times and opinions can change.

After the 2up was unveiled pictures of the actual toy were released and it didn't seem so offensive. The hair sculpt is a lot cleaner and not so wild. Some of the unnecessary detail from the 2up was lost in the scaling down so that it didn't look like a Spawn offshoot (which might seem silly considering who made these). The figure grew on me and I decided that I would like to have one.

After orchestrating a trade I received it the other day and I am speechless. This is, without a doubt in my mind, the best He-Man figure ever made. The figure is made of a durable plastic, I know of people's gym equipment falling on these figures and they have come out unscathed.

The weapons are molded from a pearlised PVC, in a dark room with a limited light source they almost glow. In bright light they have a nearly metallic sheen to them. The details on the weapons are exquisitely sculpted that I am not bothered by whether or not I pose him with his axe or sword.

For the color scheme the Horsemen have opted for a more realistic approach. His harness is now brown to simulate leather, though they still bear the red armor plates running along the top straps. The edges of the breastplate are silver, whilst the rest of the area is now a textured gold. The symbol is still red. it and the plates are painted with a reflective deco. Instead of a plain orange belt, 2002 He-Man's belt is mainly silver with gold details added. The buckle is his symbol on a gold background. His 'shorts' are brown, as are his two-tone boots. On his arms I should add, he has silver cuffs.

While the face sculpt is still bland, though many times better than the original, doesn't worry too much. He-man is a generic superhero much like Superman and has no real 'face'. The rest of the detailing is near flawless. Muscles rip, veins tense, each hand clearly has four fingers and a thumb. His hair is now sculpted and as a result is much more detailed.

That said there are a few problems with this figure. First is his posture. Even though the 2002 figure tower over their classic counterparts they all have a very pronounced hunch, some poses aren't as effective as they could otherwise be. The sculpted hair is a seperate piece to the rest of the figure and as a result looks as though it could all too easily come off. Next, the harness and his 'fuzzy pants' are molded from a very flimsy plastic and feel as though they will break if you pull with little force. The weapons could also have been made a little more durable, the classic accessories were sturdier than these.

With the exception of these few and hardly fatal flaws, I love this toy. It could have done with a little more articulation, Marvel Legends have shown you can make a sturdy toy with multiple articulation, regardless you can still strike a few cool battle poses with the movement you do have. Incidentally the Horsemen wanted more articulation but Mattel vetoed that stating they wanted better durability.

I love this figure and I don't know how well this statement will sit on this board but it blows away anything done in the Hasbro Saga line this year.

For the completists out there, make sure that you not only look out for the symbol variations. With Battle Sound He-Man there are two variations available; one is Silver the other is Gold. The silver BS He-Man comes with The Diamond Ray of Disappearance commemorative video. Goldie comes with The Dragon Invasion.

On e-bay there have been regular figures packaged with other commemorative episodes but no one I know has seen these in stores yet.
    "Luke' I am your father!"

"You may be my father, but who's your daddy!?!"

Originally posted by JediTricks
    The talking role-play sword and deluxe talking he-man are kinda lame simply because He-man's voice is really not so... "he-manly", but luckily I didn't buy either.

The voice in the Deluxe He-Man is John Erwin, the man who voice He-Man/Adam in the original series. Likewise Alan Oppenheimer provided Deluxe Skeletor's line.

El Chux, He-Man's bird is Battle Hawk. Heh, you might not want to hear this but I'm trading all the Simpsons stuff I have for these figs.
    Last edited by Darth Nihilus; 07-25-2002 at 08:17 AM.

Originally posted by Darth Nihilus

The voice in the Deluxe He-Man is John Erwin, the man who voice He-Man/Adam in the original series. Likewise Alan Oppenheimer provided Deluxe Skeletor's line.

El Chux, He-Man's bird is Battle Hawk. Heh, you might not want to hear this but I'm trading all the Simpsons stuff I have for these figs.
    You sure? I heard these again today and they still sound much wimpier than A) expected and now B) remembered.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Originally posted by JediTricks
    You sure? I heard these again today and they still sound much wimpier than A) expected and now B) remembered.
    I can't speak for the sword but the Deluxe He-Man is voiced by Erwin. It was only a one shot deal as there are new (as yet uncredited) actors for the new series. But again yeah, The figure is definitely John Erwin, it was confirmed by Mattel.

I finally got he villians, Mer-Man is awesome. Skeletor is pretty cool too.
    "It can't rain all the time."

"Quote the Raven, Nevermore."

Soon they will all be mine, oh yes they will and when finally I do have them - wave 2 will be out.

The newest issue of Toyfare (#61) has an article about the upcoming He-Man cartoon. It is scheduled to begin on Friday, August 16th at 4pm eastern. The first couple of episodes will be intros to set up the characters and the storyline, much like the JLA series did. The series will air on Cartoon Network.
    It also mentioned that the toys were delayed until now to coincide with the release of the new (old) cartoon.
    "You know I love the guy but I swear he writes like freaking Yoda."-Dean Winchester
    R12:2-Be Transformed

I really like these figures - they're great. I love the fact that they're not out of scale, podgy, over-muscled figures anymore. They're just a better scale and an overall better figure.
    The only thing that's bothering me a little is the use of gimmicks. I think they take away on some figures. I have no real problem with He-Man, Skeletor or Man-at-Arms (and I can't count Mer-Man because I don't have him yet, and haven't even seen him). But I think Stratos' gimmick takes highly away from him, as he can only flap his arms up and down; Beast Man's is okay, but those arms are useless for anything else (I was playing around the other day, and I wanted Beast Man to carry Man-at-Arms, and he just kept dropping him because his arms aren't made for that).
    But the sculpting is A+, the paint app. is A+, articulation is A+ (especially if you're comparing these to the old versions) and I think playability is good. I will buy more, probably all (can't wait for next wave, and a chance to grab a Mer-Man), so I'm gonna have to get some money secured to buy these.

End...:happy:
    They call them fingers, and yet they don't fing. Noodle that one for a while.
    "Logic dictates we haul @$$." - Mego Spock from Twisted Toyfare Theater; Issue #59