View Poll Results: SSG BATTLE OF THE MACHINES Quarterfinals - Fight Six!!!

Voters
170. You may not vote on this poll
  • The Speeder Bike blasts its way to the Top!

135 79.41%
  • The STAP blasts the competion back!

35 20.59%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

SSG BATTLE OF THE MACHINES Quarterfinals - Fight 6!!!

With the resolution of the Death Match between the Skiff, ATST, and Droid Tank, we're moving well past our half-way point for the Quaterfinals in SSG's Battle of the Machines!

Tonight's is a light-weight match between two hardened contestants.

The Aratech 74-Z Military Speeder Bike was featured in Return of the Jedi. This vehicle has been packed with every known movie pilot which today includes its standard pilot, the Imperial Scout Trooper, as well as Princess Leia of the Rebel Alliance (shown), Jedi Knight Luke Skywalker, and Ewok Scout Paploo (most recently released). All of the pack-in figures are available in other venues (save for Paploo) be it a carded figure, or a Millennium Minted Coin box figure. Meanwhile, the speeder bike features a pivoting blaster cannon, braking flaps that operate remotely when the foot pedals are moved, and an explosive battle damage feature that causes the craft to blow apart when the camouflage jacket is pressed down on the rear of the craft.
    The Speederbike defeated the Swoopbike 82-23 carrying 78% of the vote to its victory.

It now faces The Single Trooper Ariel Platform or STAP that sits on a clear plastic stand to simulate flight. The stand also activates a remote control that can move the pack-in Battle Droid into action, and fire the crafts twin laser cannons. They simulate fire with two launching projectiles that can easily knock over most action figures - even the ones with lightsabers, if the Force is not with them! The STAP was first offered as a Special Sneak Preview figure for The Phantom Menace, and was later released in Episode One Packaging. To date there have been at least 11 versions of some kind of battledroid. The STAP's pack-in may have been slightly longer legged and loser jointed. The STAP defeated Darth Maul's Sith Speeder 51-32 with almost a halfpoint over 61% of the vote.

Which vehicle should go on to rank amongst Hasbro's best ships and crafts for the modern era?

You decide now! Then let's talk about your choice.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails speederbike vs stap.jpg  
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

I have to go with the Speeder Bike. I just like the way it looks. While the STAP does look cool, it needs that stand to uh, stand, without hand support.

This is a funny match up, just recently I saw the several Preview STAP and the Speederbike with Leia still sitting on the shelves at an Ames store.

I'm going with the Speeder bike as well. I wasn't too crazy about the STAP.
    Yo momma. That's right, I said "yo momma".

i dont know why but i liked the stap more....
    "Fought well you have my old padawan"-Yoda

"This is just the begining"-Count Dooku

be sure to check out my site http://pub78.ezboard.com/bgundamhangerrpg

While the overall design of the S.T.A.P. is a cool concept I would find it very difficult to work in reality. As the toy it needs the "clear" stand.

Now my only major complaint with the speeder bike is the when setting down on a surface the flaps on the back tend to snap off from the attachment pegs and you have to reset them. Not as aerodynamic as the S.T.A.P. but this could work in reality. Make my the speederbike.
    Move along, move along

Outside SSG, banging on the window furiously, yelling "LET ME IN!"
    The problem with the Speederbikes was that no figures accurately interacted with them. Either they sat on it like the vintage figures, or they had cramps like the POTF2 versions. But the Speederbike itself (aside from size issues and giant "legs") has always been a cool, nicely priced vehicle. Speederbike wins the day.
    Who's a sexy kitty? Who is? Yes, you are. You're a SEXY kitty...

PHONE BOOK Written by Bendis. Art by Jim Lee. Total copies sold: 15 billion.

"Comic Collecting. Miss a decade, miss a lot."

While I like the Speedbike sequence in the film, the toy was lacking. Not only flimsy in construction, it frequently breaks apart without too much effort and can be difficult to reassemble, especially for a little kid. Also, it is very difficult to get an action figure to stay on-board for any in-flight fun.

The STAP is also a cool looking ship, although I didn't enjoy the sequence in EP I as much as the ROTJ speederbike scene. But the films have nothing to do with rating the toys themselves...or shouldn't. The STAP is much more durable as a toy AND it shoots missiles, which is what kids love to do most. Getting a figure on to the STAP can be a difficult process, but once he's there, he pretty much stays put.

As a TOY, in a TOY contest, the STAP wins hands down.

Originally posted by stillakid
    The STAP is also a cool looking ship, although I didn't enjoy the sequence in EP I as much as the ROTJ speederbike scene. But the films have nothing to do with rating the toys themselves...or shouldn't. The STAP is much more durable as a toy AND it shoots missiles, which is what kids love to do most. Getting a figure on to the STAP can be a difficult process, but once he's there, he pretty much stays put.

As a TOY, in a TOY contest, the STAP wins hands down.
    stillakid nailed this one right on. Rating the toys themselves I like the STAP much better (actually, I also liked it better in the movie too--wish it had more screen time). It has a novel sculpt plus the remote launching missiles. The speeder bikes are nice but are kind of flimsy.

I go with the underdog on this one.

(I wonder if the Concept Stormie would fit on one...)
    "I'm just a YES man trying to make my way in the universe." - Jango McCallum

"Good dialogue and smooth editing are no match for a good YES man by your side, kid." - George Lucas

Stillakid said it best. I'm with the STAP too (and voting early in this one.)

It's clearly the underdog right now, which has nothing to do with how I vote, but I usually don't post my votes too early in the game so I'm not influencing these matches in anyway.

Just if you're curious, in the Quarterfinals so far:

I voted for the X-wing (lost to the Interceptor)
    I voted for the N-1 (won over Sebulba)
    I voted *cringe* for the AT-AT (won over the Falcon)
    I voted for Zam's Speeder (lost to Luke's Landspeeder)
    I voted for the ATST (beat both the skiff and Federation Tank)

Not voting for the Falcon was the toughest thing for me. I may go post again in that thread, having a guilty conscience about it...

In general, I like firing missles! or otherwise cool action features like Zam's crash 'n bash. Electronics rule over vehicles without cool sound effects, or even better- flashing laser lights. With the ATST, it was the unique stomping feature that no other vehicle really has (via remote control).

But again, the STAP can attack and knock over figures with its missles. The speederbike blows up with your favorite character at its controls (except Paploo's, which of all of them we never *saw* blow up anyway). While that is a cool and movie-accurate action figure, I like something a little bit more on the offensive!
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

Tycho, are you sure that the Paploo speeder bike has the damage feature? I recently moved and tried to disassemble it for transport--if it's got the explosion feature like the others, mine is hopelessly broken.

Either way, as a toy, the STAP is a billion times better.
    Tommy, close your eyes.