Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Talking MMixtape MMadness

(no, i ain't ready to start reviewin your tapes yet, but i got some related quextions to axe, so might as well get this road on the show if you're ready to post critiques though, fire away )
    swaffy: damn you and your admirably insidious scheme to get me to make you a 2nd tape, i only got 1 hour of sleep last nite cuz i was gripped by a bug of inspiration to start a rough pass that bored into my head like a little rat weevil bazzdidd anyhoo, to help me avoid wastin tape on stuff you already know, plz confirm you are unfamiliar with all the following candidates for inclusion (gsj & jdah'll recognize a few):
    towa tei, "last century modern"
    serge gainsbourg, "initials bb"
    barry, "fancy dance"
    sandra bernhard, "manhattan" aka "new york post"
    "it's natural" from Wigstock
    diana ross, "have fun again"
    misc. salsoul records instrumental disco/funk (title escapes me for moment)
    roxy music, "both ends burning"
    opus 3, "into this universe"
    kraftwerk, "telefon call ('88 german house dub)"
    "hercules takes off/inflight fight" from barry's Living Daylights
    grace jones, "don't cry it's only the rhythm"
    jean-luc ponty, "no more doubts"
    hector zazou's "sahara blue" album
    glass & allen ginsberg, "hydrogen jukebox"
    sakamoto's Snake Eyes score
    b.e.f. (aka pre-heaven 17/human league), var. singles
    d.a.f. aka robert gorl, "mit dir" & "a ist weider da"
    deee-lite, "*****cat meow" remixes
    "journey through time" from badalamenti's Twin Peaks Fire Walk With Me
    "full moon" from barry's King Kong
    "gene explores the titanic" from Raise the Titanic
    axus, "near or far"
    kama sutra, "nightwalk"
    "fools" from High Art
    there's also a few others i'm pretty sure you Aren't familiar with, but i want to make sure about above listed
    vt
    np: swaffy2 draft2

VT, the whole track list is a big OK for me!!!

drooling....

8^D....
    {{{r2dee2}}}
    {{{VT}}}

Jonna
    Oh God no!!!! Not kraftwerk! I use to have one of their albums, not look what I've become! They do make good cheese though.

Exclamation herr jonna: yoo vill lurn to Like zee krrraaftvverk, ya? SCHNELL!!!

swaffy: you ain't hurd none o them eh? well That didn't help me narrow the list how bout wall of voodoo's "factory" or lene lovich's "new toy"?
    vt
    np: swaf2 draft 5
    Last edited by vulcantouch; 06-29-2002 at 07:03 PM.

I have & love(ich) New Toy (oooeeeeeoooo).

Don't think I've heard WOV's Factory.

re: the other tracks...
    I've downloaded a bit from free music servers, but it's mostly filler from the '60's - '80's. I have a few Ponty & Roxy Music albums, but except for a pretty small stack of clearance-sale cassettes & CDs, I stopped buying music in the mid-1980's when vinyl died-out. If the Ponty & Roxy stuff is less than 15 yrs old, I probably haven't heard it, since all we get on the radio here is Country, Gospel, Classic Rock (which somehow translates to the morons at our local station to the same 30 or 40 standards played in heavy rotation ), and contemporary rock (basically, that station just popped-in a Creed CD a couple years ago & set it to 'repeat' and it's still running ).

so, I'm ready - starved, really - for any horizon-expanding offerings you're willing to share.
    {{{r2dee2}}}
    {{{VT}}}

Red face "popped-in a Creed CD a couple years ago & set it to 'repeat'"

-which reminds me, imo most useless music hardware: multi-carousel cd player w/random play- like i'd Ever let some machine decide my selection & sequence
    jlp's "no more doubts": ~'85; rm's "both ends burning": ~'75. so plz reconfirm you haven't heard either one, as eliminating either would help things fit good
    vt

thanks to Amazon:
    jlp's "no more doubts" track is listed on his "The Gift of Time" album. No, I haven't heard that one.

rm's "both ends burning" is on "Siren" which I have listened to, but as you noted, that would have been as long as 27 years ago ('75 release date confirmed by Amazon). But feel free to omit it at your discretion.

the entire production is at your discretion!

but I appreciate your asking for my input.

np: rm's the thrill of it all.
    {{{r2dee2}}}
    {{{VT}}}

Ordered here by Herr Lipp

I thought you' be aware of Neptunes because they've been winning lots at the MOBO or some similar award. I am not really that ken on them as they have tended to drift over to the evil Empire of Great Britney and N'sink. They have worked with some more stellar bodies, though.

I didn't mean to imply that you'd heard it and hated it, merely that you hadn't picked it up. Now I got the history, I see the reason why you didn't. I recall you telling me that you had read on the MAW forum (you gave me the addy of a year ago) that it wasn't going down as a remix very well and I thought that was why you didn't nab it.

"you did have that C&J Macintosh rmx of janet"
    -pshaw, everyone knows the reason that one works is cuzza maw's presence, not cj's

And what about Ms Jackson ? (I know, I know you only like the instru)

"it's not in the same summer flow of MAW"
    -actually since house & hiphop (or, as i abbreviate it, hphp) got the strong beats that get the blood pumpin i pretty much listen to maw only in cold weather; but i'd be interested in your elaboration of what you mean

The VTape you sent me 2 years ago had a very summery feel to it. So much so that now when I hear a track remix with that vibe, I automatically think of you and I wonder if he'd like it? Yes, Even Hubba Hubba Hubba reminds me of Summer - kind of an outdoorsy barbecue soirée on the Downs of Harmans Cross or Swanage perhaps.

"the fashion-nurtured and fashion-evoking element of so many of your pickings"
    -oooo again, i'd love it if you'd to elaborate

Publicity aitch oh. C'maaaaaawn Malcolm McClaren? The titles of your thredz? Your headfonez? Pip Glass? Whether you intend it or not, your track picks will always be evocative of style, even if they're Marilyn Manson 'tunes'....

"not written in 'Nuyorica'"
    -since when have you become familiar w/nuyorican soul? been doin homework in seekrid, eh?

About four or five years ago I caught a programme on them on MTV at my brothers. I don't know much about them other than the feeling their music has. I used the made-up term 'Nuyorica' to refer to the happy beats "summer flow of MAW"

Please welcome Baal Jnr to the club now he really is a baaaaler

jeddah
    eVerlasTing

Wink who you callin hairlip?

"what about Ms Jackson ?"
    -yeah really, what aBout her indeed

"I know you only like the instru"
    -i just prefer the instru; for every time i listen to the cjfxtc vocal i listen to the instru 20-30 times which reminds me of the feud between diana ross & the two chic honchos (bernard edwards & nile rodgers) when they wrote & produced her 1980 album (the one with "i'm coming out", "upside down" & "have fun again" ), with her whining that they made it sound too much like a chic album and not enough like a diana ross album. like that's a Bad thing??

"they have tended to drift over to the evil Empire of Great Britney and N'sink"
    -aside from producers-on-retainer (like jimmy jam & terry lewis ), remixers tend to merely be unaffiliated hired guns, sharing little/no responsibility with the "empires of bad taste" which hire them for the overall mediocrities propogated thereby

"VTape you sent me 2 years ago had a very summery feel to it"
    -much of it, sure; but "me & mrs. jones", "deep kiss" etc definitely belong in colder times :happy:

"Even Hubba Hubba Hubba reminds me of Summer"
    -yeah, beat farmers play good while speedin down a hot dusty highway

"even if they're Marilyn Manson 'tunes'"
    -which, despite what you may've mistakenly inferred, i doubt they ever will be
    vt

Red face i can't get enough of your love

vt - why you so eager to shoot another gooovetape my way? aren't you livin in fear of the vicious critique i've yet to give your last tape?

i'm addicted to love
    0 /// /// F=MA~~~~~~~~~~~~
    what's so funny 'bout peace love and understanding