Page 198 of 282 FirstFirst ... 98148188194195196197198199200201202208248 ... LastLast
Results 1,971 to 1,980 of 2816
    JetsAndHeels, what is the picture with the statue, in your first round of pictures posted, to the right of you pretending to fire the cannon?

Those are really nice pictures and having the Civil War interest that I do, I am very envious of your trip to the historical sites there.

In your second post, you say the pics are taken in Manassas. But that one shot on a mountain top totally reminds me of the site they filmed for Little Round Top in the movie Gettysburg (with Jeff Daniels). Is that shot actually from Pennsylvania or is the topography just similar at the other battle site?

Tycho,

The pics of the Stonewall Jackson monument are from Manasses. The rest are all from Gettysburg. What you saw in the other 2 was actually from where I stood at the peak of Little Round Top..that is what you are seeing in that pic with the statue that you asked about.

I enjoy the Civil War era too, but honestly it is not my #1 historical interest...I think you know what is.
    "You know I love the guy but I swear he writes like freaking Yoda."-Dean Winchester
    R12:2-Be Transformed

But Jackson didn't fight at Gettysburg (Little Round Top). He died before then.

So I think we're making a mistake about which picture we're talking about.

Jackson's statue has him on his horse.

There is another statue, in the first group of pictures that you posted, of a man standing on his own feet. There is the symbol of a cross on the base of the statue. Who is that? and where was it?

Quote Originally Posted by Tycho View Post
    But Jackson didn't fight at Gettysburg (Little Round Top). He died before then.
    I am aware of that.

So I think we're making a mistake about which picture we're talking about.

Jackson's statue has him on his horse.
    And those 2 pics (the one with him on the horse, and the one of the base of the monument with his name) are the ONLY ones from my stop in Manasses. Now if you want to see more from there, I have them.

There is another statue, in the first group of pictures that you posted, of a man standing on his own feet. There is the symbol of a cross on the base of the statue. Who is that? and where was it?
    It is at Little Round Top. It signifies the stand that the Maine regiment made in holding the Hill (from the movie).
    "You know I love the guy but I swear he writes like freaking Yoda."-Dean Winchester

Is that a statue of Col. Chamberlain then? He was a totally heroic son-of-a-bh!

His ordering that downhill bayonette charge when his men ran out of ammo - and his resulting victory - is legendary in military history. The man ought to have at least one statue.

Is that a statue of Col. Chamberlain then? He was a totally heroic son-of-a-bh!
    I did not see a name on this statue, but it is for the dedication of him and his men from Maine.

Nice pictures y'all.

Tycho, you are probably the only person I know that can rock suspenders!
    Up, up, and OKAAAAY!!!

New pic from this evening. Rockin' the
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	taps.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	45.3 KB 
ID:	18497  
    "Woke up at 9.55am. Soon as I woke up, I looked at Suzanne and she looked at me. I said, 'Did I tell you about the immune system?' Suzanne starting laughing, I said, 'it's amazing.' She said, 'Not now.'"

Here are some more Civil War type photos, Tycho.

I am not in any of these, but they are from today's events and re-enactment at Fort Branch, NC (this is located about 40 minutes from my apartment).

There was no actual field battle at the place, but the local re-enactors enjoy getting together and putting on a show. It has become somewhat of a tradition each November.

Fort Branch was a Confederate fort that sat on the banks of the Roanoke River. Due to the Confederates' position at the top of the river wall, their cannon were able to wipe out any approaching Union forces rather easily (I included a pic of how the cannon were positioned so that they are aimed right at the river).

Fort Branch was never taken during the entire course of the Civil War.

Name:	Picture 040.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	75.4 KB 
ID:	18523   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture 041.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	80.9 KB 
ID:	18524   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture 031.jpg 
Size:	64.5 KB 
ID:	18525   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture 028.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	78.9 KB 
ID:	18526   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture 026.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	66.6 KB 
ID:	18527  

Pardon the double post, but here are some more, both from the camp and the battle.

Name:	Picture 013.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	74.3 KB 
ID:	18528   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture 032.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	65.4 KB 
ID:	18529   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture 038.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	72.4 KB 
ID:	18530   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture 002.jpg 
Size:	75.0 KB 
ID:	18531   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture 015.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	72.2 KB 
ID:	18532