Page 186 of 282 FirstFirst ... 86136176182183184185186187188189190196236 ... LastLast
Results 1,851 to 1,860 of 2813
  1. #1851
    Quote Originally Posted by Jedi_Master_Guyute View Post
    Now, why would you NOT smile in your grad pictures? I was happy as hell I completed both of my degrees.
    I was glad to get my degrees I guess - or maybe relieved was the proper word. As I finished college, I was at the point where I did and still read an awful lot - about what I want to research and learn about. Then I form and write my own opinions about it, and don't really want to "report or regurgitate someone else's theory." However, I settled into a pattern of adding (without being instructed to do so) whether or not I agreed or disagreed with various authors of my college texts and even my professors and the points they were making. I earned very high grades in college, but maybe that was because I was such a pain in the neck, my teachers wanted to make sure I never had to repeat any of their classes.

    But I don't know if I would be smiling unless I took over my entire university and reformulated the curriculum and indoctrinated everyone else in my own standards - especially in my specialized disciplines.

    I was really at a point where few people could teach ME anything, but I wanted to instruct everyone else, while I was constantly teaching myself even more. I swear I need to become dictator of my own little island or something.

    BTW, I was a teaching assistant just once - for a political science course that I was asked to help out one of my favorite professors with. I hated grading papers - just hated it. And as much as I think I'd like some aspects of teaching - like getting to lecture a captive audience - I couldn't do it for a career. No way.
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

  2. #1852
    Heres a picture of me when I was about 28 or 29, holding my son. We were up at the Porcupine mountains in the U.P. of Michigan.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Barry 077.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	66.3 KB 
ID:	17426  
    2012 RFL Thank You to, TeeEye7 & Slicker!!!!
    Be an organ donor, save lives!

  3. #1853
    Quote Originally Posted by Tycho View Post
    I was glad to get my degrees I guess - or maybe relieved was the proper word. As I finished college, I was at the point where I did and still read an awful lot - about what I want to research and learn about. Then I form and write my own opinions about it, and don't really want to "report or regurgitate someone else's theory." However, I settled into a pattern of adding (without being instructed to do so) whether or not I agreed or disagreed with various authors of my college texts and even my professors and the points they were making. I earned very high grades in college, but maybe that was because I was such a pain in the neck, my teachers wanted to make sure I never had to repeat any of their classes.

    But I don't know if I would be smiling unless I took over my entire university and reformulated the curriculum and indoctrinated everyone else in my own standards - especially in my specialized disciplines.

    I was really at a point where few people could teach ME anything, but I wanted to instruct everyone else, while I was constantly teaching myself even more. I swear I need to become dictator of my own little island or something.

    BTW, I was a teaching assistant just once - for a political science course that I was asked to help out one of my favorite professors with. I hated grading papers - just hated it. And as much as I think I'd like some aspects of teaching - like getting to lecture a captive audience - I couldn't do it for a career. No way.
    Ah, see, my teaching assistant experience is a bit different than most T.A. folks. I actually didn't assist any profs as I just taught classes on my own. I arrived at the university in August in 06, about 10 days before classes and the next week for five days, we were put through a crash course of teaching methods, policies, textbooks, etc, and that following week, we were tossed out to teach for ourselves. It was incredibly spooky and that first class was incredibly nerve wracking. But, within a few weeks/month or so, I fell into a groove. I taught comp I and comp II, with comp II being more advanced methods of writing. Essentially, we would just examine different texts and how the author constructed them, for what purpose, to what outcome, etc. It's difficult to physically change a student's writing style that they have used for X amount of years, but at I can at least give them new ways of expressing their ideas. My main focus was research and evidence. If you have a thought on something, you NEED fact to back it up, plain and simple.

    We also watched some movies and did some reviews, just for a change of pace. My kids gave me pretty solid feedback and my advisor seemed to really love my teaching style. I just hope all that positive feedback equals a job somewhere. hehehehehe

    TE7 said: TENURE

    .....that golden word! Especially in the academic world as you know. It almost has the same meaning as "kevlar" !
    hahaha seriously, I've seen/heard of some profs who can literally get away with pretty much anything due to their tenure. I'm always like, "man, that's BS!" but then I remember how cool it will be when i'm older and am able to do anything I want in a class, if i have tenure.
    "Woke up at 9.55am. Soon as I woke up, I looked at Suzanne and she looked at me. I said, 'Did I tell you about the immune system?' Suzanne starting laughing, I said, 'it's amazing.' She said, 'Not now.'"

  4. #1854
    Quote Originally Posted by bobafrett View Post
    Heres a picture of me when I was about 28 or 29, holding my son. We were up at the Porcupine mountains in the U.P. of Michigan.
    That pic makes you look 50 feet tall, you Paul Bunyan mofo.
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]He passes to Moses - He shoots, he scores![/FONT]
    Mummy of the raincoat is a gigantic trollop.
    DOMINATE!


  5. #1855
    When I was in grad school for math, we had a lead instructor for the course who gave us a syllabus to follow. She would write the test, or would have each of the TA's teaching the course to submit some possible test questions.

  6. #1856
    My collecting days have long since passed, so I decided to give my figs to a couple people who will appreciate them more. A couple things of note: Hannah was absolutely hoarding the R2s and Hayden loves Lando. They kept that up all day.

    And isn't amazing how quickly your living begins to resemble a daycare once you have kids?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2539.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	64.2 KB 
ID:	17427  
    It's a blacked-out blur but I'm pretty sure it ruled.

  7. #1857
    That is the best picture ever!
    GIGANTA: A robot that automatically produces fun!

  8. #1858
    Quote Originally Posted by Deoxyribonucleic View Post
    That is the best picture ever!
    Thanks, 7ox. I know they have zero idea who they are, but I'm amazed at how much they enjoy playing with them (Did you know: Chewie drives a Fisher-Price fire truck. My kids are already on par with Timothy Zahn!)
    It's a blacked-out blur but I'm pretty sure it ruled.

  9. #1859
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainSolo1138 View Post
    (Did you know: Chewie drives a Fisher-Price fire truck. My kids are already on par with Timothy Zahn!)
    Don't diminish their achievements - they are well past any EU.

    But don't they have any respect for continuity? Armored Vader was never all kissy-face with Queen Amidala!
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]He passes to Moses - He shoots, he scores![/FONT]
    Mummy of the raincoat is a gigantic trollop.
    DOMINATE!


  10. #1860
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainSolo1138 View Post
    My collecting days have long since passed, so I decided to give my figs to a couple people who will appreciate them more. A couple things of note: Hannah was absolutely hoarding the R2s and Hayden loves Lando. They kept that up all day.
    You could have just sent them along to me!



    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainSolo1138 View Post
    And isn't amazing how quickly your living begins to resemble a daycare once you have kids?
    Ah yes, I remember when my son was that young, seems like just yesterday. Now he's 17, and I wish I could get him to at least clean the dishes. Since I still have my toys, my house looks m,ore like a Toys R Us.
    2012 RFL Thank You to, TeeEye7 & Slicker!!!!
    Be an organ donor, save lives!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO